Chakaman's customs, mods and repaints

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got some work done on Velken Tezeri tonight. I sculpted the helmet, its pretty rough and I am going to touch it up a bit. I just wanted to get the basic shape. The good thing is that the helmet is rough looking in the movie.

I also got the face shroud done. Its pretty rough also, but I just wanted to look as close to the movie stills as possible. I plan on going back and touching up the paint on it and maybe adding to it a bit.

Sorry for the bad pics, kinda bright. :) Ill take some more in natural light as I go along.

341.jpg

342.jpg

Hee-hee! It absolutely tickles how sick this figure is - these background heavies need their moment to shine, I'm glad they're getting their due! I would like to get to this guy eventually, as Jabba's scum is my next focus when I get the get the Cantina wave I'm working on finished (although, by then, it may be time for Duane to offer up more Cantina aliens?) - I don't think I could improve upon what you are doing, though. Still think the x-wing vests were a stroke of genius...awesome!

4385546819_5a4abcb6a2_o1.jpg

Post-Velken, found this more detailed pic of what seemingly is the same helm.:monkey2

Small sideinfos you all might probably know:
1. Dengar is in Jabbas Palace, too.
2. In Jabbas Palace, a human is wearing a sort of Michael Jackson red jacket.
3. Seen that awful wall relief of the Hutt family on the bark?

Looking good Chaka!! I've got a couple extra X-Wing vests. If you want them, they're yours. PM me your addy. I'll either ship them, or throw them out the window to you as we drive through to Colorado.

They really mixed up these jabba thugs costumes and helmets in ROTJ.

There is a pic of this costume with Fozec's helmet (with Giran and Luke outside Rancor pit) and then the guy on the skiff is guarding Luke at the same time this guy's chatting with Sy on the barge...

And Fozec is a black actor in the palace and inside the barge while at the same time a white actor with red hair is on the skiff in the exact same costume... the continuity person really wasn't paying much attention with these guys.

I know, they used the same bits for quite a few of the different outfits. I am gathering bits for Fozec, just need to find a good body and headsculpt for him. I have the Tomy helmet already modded and the hasbro skiff armor already finished.

Looking good Chaka!! I've got a couple extra X-Wing vests. If you want them, they're yours. PM me your addy. I'll either ship them, or throw them out the window to you as we drive through to Colorado.

Hey thanks man, PM sent. I appreciate it. :)

Hee-hee! It absolutely tickles how sick this figure is - these background heavies need their moment to shine, I'm glad they're getting their due! I would like to get to this guy eventually, as Jabba's scum is my next focus when I get the get the Cantina wave I'm working on finished (although, by then, it may be time for Duane to offer up more Cantina aliens?) - I don't think I could improve upon what you are doing, though. Still think the x-wing vests were a stroke of genius...awesome!

Cheers dude, really looking forward to seeing your take on some of Jabba's guys. I just picked up some more cantina heads from Duane so I am going to be working on some of them over the next couple of months. I need to finish a couple more of my Jabba guys first.

Small update. I added the belt, arm guantlets and trimmed the vest at the shoulders. Piecing together is vest has been a real challenge.

350.jpg

Doesn't look like you are having any problems do it though. How did you make that shirt?

Doesn't look like you are having any problems do it though. How did you make that shirt?

I'm with OT Freak in wondering what went into making the shirt (other than x-wing vests)! I'm hoping you'll give us a synopsis of the process, so that those of us who will be facing similar challenges will benefit from your experience? :pray::pray::pray:

Thanks OT, Khonsu. Here is what I did to make the tunic. I cut the trim from all of the Hasbro X-Wing vests. I then cut the vests into large pieces. I then placed the pieces across the body to get the shape. I then trimmed the vests to fit the body. I used two vests to create the area below the neck to the belt line. The third vest was cut into sections and used to create the area below the beltline. The belt hides the seam between the vests. The other seams are hidden between the gaps in the vests. The shoulder bits are just leather cut, glued and painted to match. I wasnt too worried about the neck area being perfect as it will be covered by his face cloak.

I could probably do this with 2 vests instead of 3. There was some trial and error doing this the first time.

I plan on using this same technique to update my Ree-Yees and Vizam. I just need to score some more vests.

I plan on using this same technique to update my Ree-Yees and Vizam. I just need to score some more vests.

when i first saw these that is exactly what i was thinking.........:lecture

do you think that material would take paint well enough for the dark brown of ree-yee's outfit chris?

when i first saw these that is exactly what i was thinking.........:lecture

do you think that material would take paint well enough for the dark brown of ree-yee's outfit chris?

Yes I do Barry. I used beige watered down acrylics on Velken's tunic. I plan on going back and adding a bit of tan/yellow to it.

Ree-Yees is the next guy I plan on redoing. It might take a couple coats of brownish/purple etc, but the cloth vests do hold paint. Just make sure you use 1/3 water.
I'm more than half way done on my Fozec (going very slowly,) but I can't wait to see yours. Why Hasbro never did a fig of Fozec is beyond me - he's in every other shot in Jab's Palace. I was hoping to get a some reference on his weapon from the little fig, but no such luck.

Seeing all your goons together has got to be one of the coolest visuals on these boards. The work you put into these is so remarkable. I'd love to see you do a part of the skiff to display these guys - even just a railing and side.

Thanks alot man. I am really looking forward to seeing pictures of your custom Fozec figure. Feel free to post pics in this thread.

What body did you use for him?

I was finally able to getting to one of the sculpts Duane sent to me in the post, thanks again mate. :)

I decided to do Geezum with one . He is a scout who works for Jabba the Hutt. Here are a couple of shots of him....

Snivvian.jpg

Tanus_Wooof_Geezum_Klaatu.jpg

I added hair to one of Duane's sculpts. I then did a quick paintup of the head and threw together a mockup of his outfit. Here is where I am so far..

992.jpg

I will probably find a pilot flighsuit to mod for his jumpsuit. The rest of the outfit shouldnt be too difficult.

I also got a Takeel, Braniac and Myo headsculpt to work on in the coming weeks. Thanks again Duane! :)

hey chris looking at that ref pic it looks like it's that heavy quilted material. i know that there are some german snow suits that have that look. that may be an option if you can track one down.

hey chris looking at that ref pic it looks like it's that heavy quilted material. i know that there are some german snow suits that have that look. that may be an option if you can track one down.

Thanks Barry. I have been looking this week for a suit and havent had any luck. I probably will end up doing Zutton or Blue Snaggletooth. :)

Well, I started working on another character today, Myo. I am going to try doing real hair on him, so I dremmeled off the sculpted beard/sideburns and hair. Here is what I was left with.

238.jpg

Here is the reference picture I am using...

Abyssin.jpg

I did a rough base coat paint job and added some pieces of trimmed fur to see what it would sorta look like. This is just a mockup, not even close to being finished. I just wanted to see what it would like...

239.jpg

240.jpg

Anyways, lots of futzing and adjustments to make, but I think I can pull it off. Working with real fur/hair is a chore, in fact it sucks! It sticks to everything except what its supposed to. I am going to have lots of mess ups and do overs, but oh well. It will worth the hassle when its finished and sitting in my cantina. :)

Duane, once again another awesome sculpt!!

You cheeky monkey! THE CANTINA WARS ARE ON!!!!!:wink1:
totally ballsy move going with the hairpiece:clap:clap:clap

Looks awesome....

Thanks, I appreciate it. :)

You cheeky monkey! THE CANTINA WARS ARE ON!!!!!:wink1:
totally ballsy move going with the hairpiece:clap:clap:clap

Yeah, I was kinda nervous about hacking up one of Duane's sculpts. I thought hel, if I screw it up I know where I can get another one. :)

Hell mate, Cantina wars? You will have your cantina done and dusted before I can even get most of my heads painted up. I havent had much time to work on stuff, been pretty busy.

Duane is helping with some cantina nooks, so hopefully I can free up some time and have some patrons to fill them. :)

Now on to Myo. I wasnt too pleased with my earlier results. The beard was a bit too thick and even. I tore everything off, cleaned the area and started over. I applied some superglue and pushed cottonballs on both sides and let dry. I then pulled off the excess cotton and there you go....

889.jpg

888.jpg

I also wasnt happy with the hair, a bit too thick. I may go with something close to what I attempted, but havent sorted it out lately. I also added a brownish wash to the head.

I am really liking the looks of this guy now. I am pretty stoked to start on the outfit, should be a lot of fun. :)

Back