Captain Toy Picks...top ten grails!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
Since last week's 'Captain Toys Picks...' was popular, I thought I'd keep it rolling along this week. There's a ton of good ideas for lists out there, but I thought I'd do another 1/6th related one this week...the top ten figures I WISH I'd picked up. Think of it as my grail list, which is likely to be very different from yours. It's all here:

https://www.mwctoys.com/FEATURE-081916.htm

What's yours?

Yea, he's one I'm particularly mad at myself over. Most of the rest - other than Vasquez - I can come up with a good reason why I passed at the time (or couldn't get it for some other reason at the time). But I don't have any good excuses for Blade, although I did really think that we'd eventually get another one.

Amazed to have several of Michael's grail figures. My silken floss is indeed displayed with Toht and Indy etc. Great figure. My Mr Bean is stored as he just wouldn't stand up without a stand. My Medicom Snape is displayed with all the other star Ace figures and looks totally at home, while Blade is with Buffy, Dark warrior (Selene) etc in an anti vampire display. All great figures!

This is so funny, I was just about to post a similar topic. Now I have to rethink mine lol. I like your list Mike. It's amazing how many people need and want a Blade figure. I have a buddy who has had lots of hot toys and sixth scale figures. Usually he ends up selling them off and buying something else...but he never sells his Blade. I've seen countless Iron mans, Jack Sparrow, Wolverine, etc. come through but Blade always remains. He must be that great a figure.

I've got a pretty big collection, but there are still a few I'm sorry I passed on back when they were first being offered:

TDK Joker
Dredd
Raimi's Spider-Man
Classic Predator

My two regret misses for hot toys:

POTC Davey Jones;
HT 300 King Leonidas

Michael how about a top 10 regrets purchasing? I have had a few HT of late... moved them along pronto.

My two regret misses for hot toys:

POTC Davey Jones;
HT 300 King Leonidas

Michael how about a top 10 regrets purchasing? I have had a few HT of late... moved them along pronto.

I sold this one without regret a while back. Being concerned about eventual rubber deterioration I kept the figure in a museum pose, which got boring after a while. This isn't a worry for everybody though, and it is a beautifully crafted figure.

There are cheap custom run Blade's on ebay now that look good ... unless you need a Hot Toys box with the correct logo on it, it looks a pretty good substitute.

Wish I'd picked up:

Akira: Kaneda and bike (medicom)
Star Ace Harry Potter line
DX13 T2 T-800

I mulled over Blade quite a bit back in the day. For a time I did indeed regret passing on him but the reality is I would have sold him in my collection cull of 2012-2014 so I'm well over it.

Back in the day I also regretted that I started collecting Hot Toys too late for Hicks, Vasquez and Apone and that I missed the Predator 2 'Elder' (first release). Again though, since I later sold off Hudson, Drake and Ripley aswell as all my Predators these are no longer regrets of mine.

So I suppose I don't really have toy-regrets anymore, none that I can think of right now anyway.

I have Blade. I suppose the only figures I WISHED I had picked up were the Hot Toys Terminator 2 Endoskeleton and Aliens Ripley in Powerloader, but I really don't anymore. Impressive stuff to be sure, but not so great by today's standards. I'm also glad I never had to deal with the pain and horror of an Endo's fingers snapping or a Loader's hoses breaking off.

Love the top 10 lists. Ive always wanted to see a top 10 Avenger list from HT. Even if its from different movies. They keep re releasing these left and right. I think a soild top 10 list will help collectors who dont want to have 4 captain america's or 2 thors etc. Could you work on something like that for us?

Top 10 figs I regret not getting:

10. HT T-600 Endoskeleton (Rubber Mask) Got the reg version but always wanted the rubber mask version.

9. HT Alien Big Chap - Need a 2.0 really, c'mon HT

8. HT Rocky III Italian Stallion, the best HT Rocky to date.

7. Betomatali Freddy Krugger Part II, Best Freddy out there imo.

6. The Dude Bid Lebowski - Rainman.

5. Universal Soldier figures, Blitzway/ Dam Toys. Was totally broke at time of release, still not sure if I can afford them.

4. HT Davy Jones Pirates of the Caribbean, This fig is so much money now. :thud:

3. Enterbay Men In Black, Both figs would of looked great in my collection.

2. Bill The Butcher - Rainman, again this goes for shed loads.

1. Don Vito Corleone - HT. One of their best ever figs, Too much on the after market, for me to get now.

Last edited:
I remember when the proto pics came out for Blade (who's also my favorite Marvel character), that original HS I was like... urgh.. needs some work. PASS. I already had the first Medicom one and a modified Marvel Studios one.

Then a month before release, they suddenly came out with backstage photos announcing they revised the sculpt. By that time, Hot Toys Hong Kong already cut all pre-orders. Luckily, a lot of retail stores were selling them for about 10% more once it was released, and I just snagged one right away. Well worth it, still really glad I got it till this day.

I have the Vasquez figure, and think its still one of the better early human HT figures (pre-Yulli / JC Hong era).

Two of my grail figures is the DX03 and Leonidas figure. They came out during a really difficult financial period for me, and I always intended to get back to them when my debts were settled. The prices kept on sky rocketing after that. Luckily Star Ace's upcoming figure looks pretty darn good so i'll be happy with that. The DX03, I still plan getting scalped price be damned. It's gonna be a personal trophy figure, the one almost got away, and now can afford to pay 3x its original value because I made it over the hill.

Not sure I have regrets but there are definitely several figs that were hard to pass up.

Blade - I passed because I really wanted a Blade I fig and I was holding out for that one. They never produced it so while I think the figure is awesome, I still want Blade I

Vito Corleone - this was really hard to watch go by. Had my figure on the "buy" button right up until it was sold out. I passed because I really wanted HTs to deliver on more than just him. Since Micheal or Sonny or Tom or even Freido never came, I made the right decision for my collection.

Colonial Marines - I was not that into HTs when these were released so I never regretted not getting them. But this is a series of figures I think HTs is long past due revisiting. I would pick up everyone.

My only really regret was not getting ED-209 but I fixed all that when 2.0 came out :clap

Oh and Mike...I have that Rocketeer and he's for sale :wink1:

Back