Captain Toy Picks...Ten Best Sixth Scale Figures!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My personal list would be:

10 HT Classic Predator
9 HT Mime Joker
8 HT DX13 T2 Terminator
7 HT Robocop
6 HT Metal Gear Rising Raiden
5 HT DX08 Joker
4 HT Tech Noir Terminator
3 HT DX09 Batman
2 HT Batman Arkham City Batman
1 HT Christopher Reeve Superman

DX06 - Jack sparrow
DX13 - Battle damaged arnie
MMS266 - BD Robocop and murphy
MMS233 - Elder predator
MMS168 - Iron man mark 1
MMS113 - Blade 2
MMS 91 - The Godfather
MMS129 - T1000
MMS136 - Terminator Tech Noir
MMS207 - Evil superman

There is no such thing - if you think personal opinion doesn't effect your decision on 'best', you're just fooling yourself.

I completely disagree. I can look at the nuts and bolts that went into a figure separately from what character or license it represents and my personal opinion. Certainly a majority of your reviewing focuses squarely on that. Or does your personal opinion about the character enter into determining what has better paint apps, sculpting, tailoring, engineering, etc. I'm not a robocop fan or Jack Sparrow for instance but appreciate the amazing job HT did on translating those to 1/6. I'm a huge Han Solo fan and love the figure but would never rank that figure better than those 2. I think Letoker is a garbage character and SS a mess but the figure looks to be very well done representation.

My top ten favorite movies are a different list than what I think the top ten best movies are.

Nothing wrong with personal preference or bias here, just "favorite" is a more accurate label. :duff

Last edited:
My personal opinion about the character doesn't enter into my assessment of the sculpt, but that doesn't mean it's some sort of quantitative absolute. I do my best to keep bias out of something like sculpting, but that doesn't mean my perceptions aren't different than yours. There are sculpts I like that others won't - there are sculpts others like that I don't. Pretending that there is actually a factual, quantitative 'best' in something like this is implying there is a 'right' and 'wrong', when there isn't.

Think about a very, very quantitative area - sports. Lots of data, lots of numbers, lots of statistics. And yet if I asked 10 experts to name the best basketball player of all time, I'd get at least 5 different answers.

But if you asked for the top 10 or top 25 top basketball players of all time I bet there'd be a lot of agreement amongst those experts.
Buckaroo Banzai is one of my favorite movies but I wouldn't know my arse from my elbow if I made a case for it being the best movie ever made.

Yep, and if you look through the lists people are putting together in this thread you'll see a lot of agreement with me, and a lot of agreement with each other.

Wouldn't mind seeing a list of the top ten 1/12 or 6-inch figures, especially with the quality of some recent lines like SH Figuarts Star Wars and Mezco's One:12 Collective.

Also the top ten 1/18 or 3.75-inch figures of all time, which would be a pretty insurmountable task to assemble given how long it was the scale for action figures and the variety and volume thereof produced in that time.

Exactly, favorite and best mean different things. Unless you're one that believes because it's your favorite it makes it the best. :lol There's a lot of that in social media.

My personal opinion about the character doesn't enter into my assessment of the sculpt, but that doesn't mean it's some sort of quantitative absolute. I do my best to keep bias out of something like sculpting, but that doesn't mean my perceptions aren't different than yours. There are sculpts I like that others won't - there are sculpts others like that I don't. Pretending that there is actually a factual, quantitative 'best' in something like this is implying there is a 'right' and 'wrong', when there isn't.

Think about a very, very quantitative area - sports. Lots of data, lots of numbers, lots of statistics. And yet if I asked 10 experts to name the best basketball player of all time, I'd get at least 5 different answers.

Good list Letterman, but with that being said... if someone does not understand the basic concept of bias and what it does to outcomes on so many levels, you aren't going to explain it to them on a message forum board, just saying... you're better off explaining advanced mathematics to your dog. If they don't get it, they won't be getting it any time soon. :wink1:

Condescending posts to those with a different pov don't really make you look good. We can disagree without being that way. :duff
But I'd do agree that posts rarely change entrenched ideas about what's what so it's not worth anyone's wasted time. :wink1:

My personal list would be:

10 HT Classic Predator
9 HT Mime Joker
8 HT DX13 T2 Terminator
7 HT Robocop
6 HT Metal Gear Rising Raiden
5 HT DX08 Joker
4 HT Tech Noir Terminator
3 HT DX09 Batman
2 HT Batman Arkham City Batman
1 HT Christopher Reeve Superman

I like it. Superman Love!

Mine is:

10. Mandarin (Hot Toys)
9. Judge Dredd (Art figures)
8. War Machince - first dc (Hot Toys)
7. Tonto (Hot Toys)
6. Leonardo (ThreeZero)
5. Marty McFly (Hot Toys)
4. Midas (ThreeZero)
3. Iron Man Mark 42 (Hot Toys
2. Spiderman - Amazing 2 (Hot Toys)
1. Superman - Reeves (Hot Toys)

Superman was my first HT and he will be the last to sell if I have to sell. I think it's an incredible figure. Amazing Spider-man 2 has articulation above and beyond. This guy can do any pose, even the crazy ones. This figure is the most fun + it's Spider-Man. Iron Man 42 is a Wow + he's dc and great to pose.

All my readers are highly intelligent of course, but one in particular (hey Kyle!) came up with a suggestion. How about my top ten all time picks for best sixth scale figure? I thought that was a great idea, so I put such a list together this week. Remember, this is going to be HIGHLY personal, and it's pretty unlikely you're going to agree with many of my choices, or I with yours. But that's part of the fun:

https://www.mwctoys.com/FEATURE-081216.htm

If you like this idea, let me know - I'm thinking about doing it as a regular thing, like Top Ten Mini-Busts, Top Ten Prop Replicas, Top Ten Horror Figures, that sort of thing. What do you think?

Great List! I like the idea. Even if people won't agree with every aspect of your lists it provides a great overview and some highlights of the hobby.

I was happy to see Kirk so high on your list, I am so blown away by this figure. QMX put out a figure that looks like they have been doing 1/6 figures for a long time but I think Kirk and Spock are only there 2nd and 3rd figures ever. These really are the figures of the year.

It was interesting that no Star Wars made your list, maybe Star Wars can get it's own category at some point, like top 5 1/6 Star Wars figures. Keeping it to top 5 is probably best for a more specific category. You could do the same with Marvel. My collection seems to be Star Wars and Marvel heavy, so I know there are a lot of good ones to pick from as categories of their own.

I agree with some others on the forum that HT Reeve Superman was a a notable absence from your list, of course it is YOUR list so that's OK. Reeve Superman is one of my most favorite figures ever!

These lists are always hard to put together imo, not sure if I can put Cult King figures?
Here's my top 10 of the figs I got.

10. HT Sweeney Todd
9. Blitzway Scarface
8. CK Dirty Harry
7. AF Judge Dredd
6. HT Jack Sparrow DX
5. CK Blondie Cowboy
4. HT DX13 Terminator
3. HT Marty McFly
2. HT Robocop
1. HT Tech-Noir T-800.

HT DX09 Batman
HT ROTJ Boba Fett
HT DX11 Joker
HT ANH Stormtrooper (tall)
Tamashii C3PO
HT DX13 BD Terminator
HT Avengers Hulk
HT TDKR Bane
HT DX08 Joker

here are my favorites of the ones I own. I picked these based on my personal preference of original source material, as well as design quality and durability.

- HT Robocop: from one of my favorite movies, great design and accessories
- HT Superman (Reeves): loved the movie as a kid and still one of the great superhero movies. excellent head-sculpt, wonderful to display, most creative HT box.
- Enterbay Jordan 23 road jersey and warm-ups: excellent head sculpt, looks life-like with the white Bulls warm-up on
- HT Dr. Strange: great to display, abundant accessories
- HT DX11 Joker 2.0
- HT DX08 Joker: looks great, good quality, abundant accessories, light-up display stand,
- Tamashii Chogokin C-3P0: looks great, well designed, articulation minimal but accurate, hefty as a droid should be

Back