Buying comic books - tips and helps

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sith_lords

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I want to start getting some Star Wars Comics and I believe I am a little late to the party, my question is what do you guys recommend? Buy in person? or pre-order them online? And if you all could give me a few places that I could preorder online where they treat your comics with respect so they get to you MINT etc.

Thank you!

Well you're talking about pre-ordering so you obviously mean new stuff and not rare old issues.
....so I wouldn't worry too much about getting mint comics and sealing them up ...that ship has long since sailed out. Comics aren't really about collecting value anymore. ....but if you've got the time and energy I guess you never know and issue X of whatever may be worth a fortune in 20+ years.

If you're reading for enjoyment I'd suggest Comixology and reading single issues as digital downloads on a tablet.
And saving your money to buy the eventual deluxe collectors oversized hardcovers/slipcase/Absolute/omnibus collection things. They are awesome and pre-ordering through Amazon is easy + they don't bother to set shipping price by weight which really comes in handy when buying from there :D

Well you're talking about pre-ordering so you obviously mean new stuff and not rare old issues.
....so I wouldn't worry too much about getting mint comics and sealing them up ...that ship has long since sailed out. Comics aren't really about collecting value anymore. ....but if you've got the time and energy I guess you never know and issue X of whatever may be worth a fortune in 20+ years.

If you're reading for enjoyment I'd suggest Comixology and reading single issues as digital downloads on a tablet.
And saving your money to buy the eventual deluxe collectors oversized hardcovers/slipcase/Absolute/omnibus collection things. They are awesome and pre-ordering through Amazon is easy + they don't bother to set shipping price by weight which really comes in handy when buying from there :D

Ditto Comixology if you don't care about physical singles. Digital means every cover/page is always in mint condition (depending on device, of course).

If you want physical comics, and if you have a local comic shop in your area, I would suggest them first; actual B&Ms are becoming scarce, sadly. I pretty much got out of collecting about five years ago, but I was using AlterEgoComix. They always bag and board each comic, so that's a huge plus.

One thing to know about Star Wars comics is that they recently merged a lot of the original comics into the Omnibus collections. If it's mostly to read, or you don't care about having all the original individual comics, these will be far cheaper and easier to get. Just do a search for Omnibus on Amazon.

Back