Building a remote control lightup acrylic display case.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

showboat

Super Freak
Reaction score
Ingredients needed:
Picture frame with canvas
Weld on 4 Plastic welding liquid(tap plastics)
Led light strip comes with remote.
12 v battery power supply for wireless.
5 transparent perspex sheets
1 white/frosted colored plastic/perspex sheet
Additional wall hanging rods if you want to mount it on the wall.

End Result. Sideshow hulk approx 63 cm tall. Case is 75 x 50.

Click on the picture to enlarge.

A more detailed look at the project.
Hope the pictures give a visual explanation but I will be happy to answer any questions.
The frame I bought was initially silver which I spray painted mat black today.
I placed the frame on legs as im still remodelling my display room. This option allowed me to potentially mount the display case on the wall in future if needs be.
The size of the wooden picture frame(standard picture frame with canvas can be bought anywhere very cheaply) I bought was 500 x 500 mm which actually means 500 x 500 mm is the canvas size. The area inside the frame when turned upside down like I did is 520 x 520 mm.

The transparent acrylic sheets where 750 x 500 mm each and the white plastic base sheet was 660 x 500 mm.
Each transparent acrylic sheet is 3 mm thick (I appologise to the American readers who use inches). The plastic base sheet is 5 mm thick for extra support which is supported by the canvas which rests on the inside of the picture frame.
To make everything fit correctly I cut the 5 transparent pieces as follows.
2 x 750 x 500 mm (two pieces left uncut)
2 x 750 x 496 mm(6 mm give as these will be welded on the inside of the above 2 pieces)
1 x 500 x 500 mm (piece that fits on top)

The white plastic base sheet is tricky and needs to fit inside the acrylic box.
493 x 493 mm

The frame of the canvas needed to be the same size as the plastic base sheet.
493 x 493 mm

All pieces were cut using an electric hand saw(a table saw would be better). I then continued to sand down the edges with a electric sander. The edges need to be as smooth as possible when welding. (see tap plastics website for further information). The acrylic welding solution used to bond the acrylic pieces is key to this project. I used weld on 4. Its a liquid solution that professional fish tank manufacturers use, very easy to use and a fantastic product.
Just as a point of interest, most glass shops will cut you the acrylic/perspex pieces to size. Cutting and sanding acrylic manually is a headache and rarther avoided.

Last edited:
Back