Bossk to be one of the next announced??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, but I'm thinking sculpted hands and feet would require a price jump and I don't need to remind anyone about the price hike controversy.

Well gosh I guess there ought to be a price jump anytime there's something different. Different headsculpt? price jump! Different clothing? price jump! Different shoes? price jump! different hair texture? price jump!

Among my 7" figures like NECA Cult Classics or McFarlane's Dragons there certainly wasn't a price jump everytime something new had to be sculpted.

Well gosh I guess there ought to be a price jump anytime there's something different. Different headsculpt? price jump! Different clothing? price jump! Different shoes? price jump! different hair texture? price jump!

Among my 7" figures like NECA Cult Classics or McFarlane's Dragons there certainly wasn't a price jump everytime something new had to be sculpted.

No****man.

Sorry to be thick, but what does that mean? What I was referring to is that the McFarlane and NECA stuff is always sculpted from scratch so it doesn't really factor much on what they make. Although, of course the larger pieces do cost a lot more.

Sorry to be thick, but what does that mean? What I was referring to is that the McFarlane and NECA stuff is always sculpted from scratch so it doesn't really factor much on what they make. Although, of course the larger pieces do cost a lot more.

As you said, it means that every part needs to have a new mold made for it.

Where as a 1/6 scale figure there aren't "molds" to make for clothing, simply patterns which are much cheaper to make masters for and can be printed by the hundreds on paper.

Changing your factory from making one completely molded dragon torso to another is harder and takes more overhead and indirects than changing from "shirt A" to "shirt B".

And of course SSC's base body can be produced by the 100,000s and just be reused over and over and over again.

Both kinds of toy takes costs to switch to a new product, but most companies (such as Hasbro's 12") didn't bump costs for totally retooled product like SSC does for stuff like Boushh, Endor troops, etc.

Okay, looks like we meant the same thing. But as I figure, that retooling is just part of their expected costs with each and every figure. For instance I imagine a guy in a suit would cost just about as much as a guy in armor when its all said and done.

But with 1/6 figures the more stuff they have to do to a figure (past new head, accessories and clothes) the more past their typical costs they go. Which then will get passed down to us, or they could always opt to loose money.

That's why I was joking that they aren't really the same thing. And for a figure like Bossk its pretty likely that the extra cost of producing the hands and feet would lead to a higher price.

As you said, it means that every part needs to have a new mold made for it.

Where as a 1/6 scale figure there aren't "molds" to make for clothing, simply patterns which are much cheaper to make masters for and can be printed by the hundreds on paper.

I may be wrong, but if I recall correctly, for each piece of a pattern (i.e. sleeve, shirt front, shirt back, etc.), a steel tool is made to cut the fabric...kinda like a dye cut. Thats how thousands of pieces can be cut repeatedly without having to photocopy thousands of patterns to hand out to people to hand cut. Just a little tidbit of info for those interested.

Okay, looks like we meant the same thing. But as I figure, that retooling is just part of their expected costs with each and every figure. For instance I imagine a guy in a suit would cost just about as much as a guy in armor when its all said and done.

But with 1/6 figures the more stuff they have to do to a figure (past new head, accessories and clothes) the more past their typical costs they go. Which then will get passed down to us, or they could always opt to loose money.

That's why I was joking that they aren't really the same thing. And for a figure like Bossk its pretty likely that the extra cost of producing the hands and feet would lead to a higher price.

I agree. To some extent I kinda wish it didn't. As an accountant and budget analyst for profession, I believe in associating prices to the things that generate the costs, but from a consumer perspective, knowing what you'll pay, and keeping it consistent, is nice.

I liked knowing that Hasbro's C-3PO wouldn't cost me more than a Luke.

Yeah, I'm very worried about what will happen when/if Sideshow tackles figures that are completely new all around. At least they can probably get some resuse out of a C-3P0 and R2 D2 body (w/variants of them and other models). But I could still see the price being pretty high for them.

And you really can't pass on them... too necessary for the set.

I may be wrong, but if I recall correctly, for each piece of a pattern (i.e. sleeve, shirt front, shirt back, etc.), a steel tool is made to cut the fabric...kinda like a dye cut. Thats how thousands of pieces can be cut repeatedly without having to photocopy thousands of patterns to hand out to people to hand cut. Just a little tidbit of info for those interested.

That does make sense. Sounds like the tools are pretty standardized such as 90 degree cut, rounded cut, etc and processed through multiple dyes...maybe those dyes can be used for more than 1 product, but I'm just a speculating discussion boarder...
:D

I appreciate the insight!

Well, it may take new tooling for the limb extensions...but if Hasbro could turn out something that looks this good...

2220144584_b04a15f0f9_o.jpg

...think of how excellent the head and limb sculpts could be coming from Sideshow. I don't think the outfit would be that difficult for them. Both the Endor Troopers and Leia/Boussh featured detailing on par with this flight suit and they look great.

I know some articulation might be sacrificed to get accurate looking limbs, but when Bossk is seen onscreen, those jutting arms and those massive scaled feet don't look too bendable anyway...and I'd rather see them looking "right".
Besides, with the buck (or a new body) compared to the Hasbro one, we'd get articulation enough to achieve some intimidating poses like the one the forthcoming Koto figure features.
As for a "price hike" concern with something that obviously would require striking some dyes that really couldn't be recycled for anything else (like droid parts), I'd hope that would be "absorbed" in the line by other less complicated figures that don't require so much singular work. Plus, the ole' bounty lizard would be pretty light on accessories...

I'd love to see Sideshow branch out into the more exotic looking characters...when they have, it's been great, like Kit Fisto, Plo Koon, Jabba and the creature packs...here's hoping this guy's on the horizon soon...

My guess is the limbs would be similar to the Dead and others where its just a solid piece from the forearm down. You lose the wrist joint, but as long as its done well you don't miss it.

And if they really wanted to get crazy you could have a couple of swappable forearms like the Enterbay Bruce Lee figures.

My guess is the limbs would be similar to the Dead and others where its just a solid piece from the forearm down. You lose the wrist joint, but as long as its done well you don't miss it.

And if they really wanted to get crazy you could have a couple of swappable forearms like the Enterbay Bruce Lee figures.

Yes.. a swappable one to better hold the weapon would be cool.

Back