Book Review: Capturing Archetypes: Twenty Years of Sideshow Collectibles Art

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
Through the years Sideshow has put out catalogs of its product - these grew from just a folded pamphlet 20 years ago, to large impressive coffee-table books in the more recent years. Now they've put out a book that captures the best of their collectibles in iconic photography and it is a collectible in itself.

There is a Foreward by Guilleramo del Toro that talks a little about how he came to Sideshow as a fan and artist with Hellboy and how they've worked together every since. An introduction by Creative Director Tom Gilliland gives a bit of history and the purpose of the book - to show the best of the photography of the Sideshow pieces.

The cover shows the Alien Big Chap in an embossed photo with a removeable plastic sleeve for the title.
CA_03.jpg

I tried to show the embossing off - it gives a great look to this 2D photo, bringing it slightly back to the 3D figure it represents:
CA_02.jpg

There is no order to the photos - they jump from one type of figure and subject to one that's completely different on the next page. There seems to be the goal of never having the same license in any subsequent photo. Star Wars leads to Batman then Disney followed by Marvel, etc. But there is a design aesthetic at work - a full body shot could be followed by a closeup of a face of a another figure, or an alternate head sculpt would be featured on the opposite page as if in a mirror to the original piece.

CA_01.jpg

CA_04.jpg

CA_05.jpg

CA_06.jpg

CA_07.jpg

CA_08.jpg

And if you're curious as to what each piece is - there is a Credit page at the back of the book that identifies the license and the type of item that is on each page.

This is a wonderful book and a work of art in and of itself. It accomplishes the goal that has been delineated in the introduction very well. I don't want to review what it isn't - but as a detail oriented person myself who enjoys a little back story - I would have liked a little text in the book - perhaps a page following each photo that told of the history of the piece, the artists that worked on it, etc.

This book continues the tradition of the great catalogs that Sideshow has done in the past - I would love to see books like this that were more comprehensive, featuring a photo of each item they've made - perhaps separate books for Premium Formats, 1/6, Legendary Scale, etc.

It really is a gorgeous book. As a longtime Sideshow fan with many friends who are mystified by and curious about Sideshow, something like this would have been a welcome addition to those nights when friends were over. Pictures serve better than words when trying to explain this hobby to the uninitiated, and when those photos look like these, so much the better.

I got an early copy as well. I love the cover and the book will display well with my Aliens. There were a lot of black or nearly black pages opposite statues that seem kind of wasted like Jack the Ripper and the Joker in Dave's pics. Quite a few "dark" shadow shots that don't show much detail, just a dark outline of the statue. I liked the quotes for each figure, I thought that added to them, but only about half get them. Overall I am happy with it, but if I was not a big Alien fan I don't know if I would be keeping it.

I haven't opened mine yet, but I haven't really heard too many positive things about this book, might end up returning it, don't know. wtf is up with so many blank pages?

I haven't opened mine yet, but I haven't really heard too many positive things about this book, might end up returning it, don't know. wtf is up with so many blank pages?

Not so much blank, but just underutilized. I see the style they were going for, it just doesn't work for me. And yes AMZ has it also for cheaper, but those with RPs or whatever can now get it direct for about the same price.

I just opened this book for the first time today and I really like it. The pages are very high quality and the cover has a very nicely embossed Alien on it.

My only gripe is the damaged corners due to Amazon.com's poor packing job.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I just opened this book for the first time today and I really like it. The pages are very high quality and the cover has a very nicely embossed Alien on it.

My only gripe is the damaged corners due to Amazon.com's poor packing job.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Yea, mine got the edges slightly damaged also, but not from AMZ. Not a big deal though, being black you can barley tell.

Back