Blitzway - 1/6 Scale Ghostbusters - Collectible Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched Ghostbuster last night, And Bill Murray's eyes are greenish than blue?

Well here's my attempt to lighten up the skin tone on Venkman. I didn't do a full repaint or anything, just added a few extra thin washes of paint. And then I reddened his nose, cheeks and ears and gave him some 5-oclock shadow. I did end up repainting the eyes though, since I wanted to try giving him a hint of an expression with that bored/exasperated look he often had in the movie. I also darkened the hair and made the eyebrows a little thicker.

And since my figure had a little issue with a broken arm, I had to put him on a COO body I had lying around. I think I was able to make it work ok (and the body does at least give him a longer looking neck), but given the slightly larger scale of these figures I think it probably needs the wider shoulders and buffer body that BW used.

And he's not really that shiny; I just had the light on him a little too close. :p

View attachment 383558

View attachment 383559

View attachment 383560

View attachment 383561

View attachment 383562

That is excellent. Really brings out the good likeness they got under that slop paintjob.

Love how you took the dead stare from the factory apps and gave him a realistic determined look. You brought so much needed life into the sculpt. You should do a YouTube video.

I second this! Late to the party with my praise Dave but I loved what you did. Would love to at least hear what paints you used, how many washes etc.

Everytime I've seen my Venkman figure from a distance (i.e. across the room) he looks like Bill Murray; get close and the factory paint job destroys the likeness. I'm particularly pleased you added five o'clock shadow, I thought for a while he needed it.

The eyes are grey-blue IMO, no green there that I can see.

The other thing that would transform this figure is a full repaint of the eyes so that there's no white below the pupils but he's looking straight ahead, and then a few painterly tricks like adding some kind of very slight smirk to the lips.

Sorry don't have the video editing skill for a YouTube video, but I can try to explain the process as best I can.

The very first thing I always do whenever I want a light skin tone is grab my Christopher Reeve Supes to use as a guide, since he's got the palest skin of any figure I've got. :D

So then after spraying Venkman with dull coat I applied a few very thin washes of light gray (using just cheap acrylic craft paint), to kind of dial back the orangeness and make the color more pink. Then I added some thinned down burgundy for the nose and cheeks (and a little on the lower eyelids), then added some HT-style reddish brown speckling over that, then another wash of gray to blend everything and then a wash of tan and finally some thinned down gloss to give the skin that slightly translucent look (with a bit more gloss on the nose, lips and ears since they're always a bit shinier).

There may have been a few other little touches here and there, but those are the main steps I remember taking.

Thanks for that Dave! My eyes popped out when I saw grey. I know it would be hard to quantify but how much do you thin paint down by?

Also, what's the best Eddie Murphy head out there - is it Snyderman's? I've decided to replace my Winston head with Eddie's. The small head thing had pissed me off too much.

Steel grey? Pearl grey? Charcoal grey...

Coming man your killing us!
LOL

Just take a pic of your paints

Excellent work BTW
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's off to my son's room with you four!! Thanks for the great memories representing the license in my den.....

IMG_2090.jpg

It's off to my son's room with you four!! Thanks for the great memories representing the license in my den.....

View attachment 383688

For those of us who were kids when the original movie came out - can you imagine being able to buy those in a toy shop after seeing the movie? I remember there was nothing except t-shirts and the record.

Can you imagine how many papers you would have had to mow and lawns you would have had to deliver to have afforded them!?

i never thought of that. Lawns can be pretty big, I don't know if I would have enjoyed delivering them...

Merry Xmas. Got the four pack Friday. Finally got them all out. Slimer looks pretty damn good in hand. Really impressed with everything.

008_1.jpg

002_1.jpg

Attachments

• 002_1.jpg
    002_1.jpg
    621.5 KB · Views: 207
Took me all morning to unboxed and check any defects. All looks good. Opening my Christmas present a day early!

39269829991_df6e260a69_b.jpg

39241064882_a2a063486b_b.jpg

39269827901_2741599cbe_b.jpg

39241069572_e8da916829_b.jpg

39269829531_726375601a_b.jpg

39241067792_0433132955_b.jpg

Back