Blitzway - 1/6 Scale Ghostbusters - Collectible Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fully expected to spend the most time with Venkmen but I've found i cant stop futzing with Ray. So far he's the only one i've bothered to unbox and leave out.

Same here. For some reason, I keep futzing with Ray the most. So much so that it caused the little red wire on the end of the wand to break and have to be reattached because the wand came flying off the pack when I was futzing him.

Well here's my attempt to lighten up the skin tone on Venkman. I didn't do a full repaint or anything, just added a few extra thin washes of paint. And then I reddened his nose, cheeks and ears and gave him some 5-oclock shadow. I did end up repainting the eyes though, since I wanted to try giving him a hint of an expression with that bored/exasperated look he often had in the movie. I also darkened the hair and made the eyebrows a little thicker.

And since my figure had a little issue with a broken arm, I had to put him on a COO body I had lying around. I think I was able to make it work ok (and the body does at least give him a longer looking neck), but given the slightly larger scale of these figures I think it probably needs the wider shoulders and buffer body that BW used.

And he's not really that shiny; I just had the light on him a little too close. :p

View attachment 383558

View attachment 383559

View attachment 383560

View attachment 383561

View attachment 383562

Holy cow...that is a remarkable likeness you pulled out of the sculpt! Spot on Bill Murray.

That eye colour makes such a big difference! He also looks like he's lost weight. Now we can really see the sculpt! Dam does he look p****d off though!

Well here's my attempt to lighten up the skin tone on Venkman. I didn't do a full repaint or anything, just added a few extra thin washes of paint. And then I reddened his nose, cheeks and ears and gave him some 5-oclock shadow. I did end up repainting the eyes though, since I wanted to try giving him a hint of an expression with that bored/exasperated look he often had in the movie. I also darkened the hair and made the eyebrows a little thicker.

And since my figure had a little issue with a broken arm, I had to put him on a COO body I had lying around. I think I was able to make it work ok (and the body does at least give him a longer looking neck), but given the slightly larger scale of these figures I think it probably needs the wider shoulders and buffer body that BW used.

And he's not really that shiny; I just had the light on him a little too close. :p

View attachment 383558

View attachment 383559

View attachment 383560

View attachment 383561

View attachment 383562

Perfect job. I definitely need this repaint

View attachment 383558

View attachment 383559

View attachment 383560

View attachment 383561

View attachment 383562

Wow! What a difference that makes, amazing work Dave. So, like Winston the sculpt is indeed good but held back by that factory paint job.

And he's not really that shiny; I just had the light on him a little too close. [emoji14]

View attachment 383558

View attachment 383559

View attachment 383560

View attachment 383561

View attachment 383562
That looks fantastic. I'll be repainting both Venkman and Winston after the holidays. They need it so bad. I honestly think Venkman needs it even more than Winston.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks again guys. Just as a comparison with the original color, here's one last shot next to one of the hands I haven't painted yet.

IMG_20171222_081511~01.jpg

I'm starting to think the Venkman likeness is the best one, it's the paint job which lets it down, and especially the eyes, which are cold and dead and the wrong colour. He's also a little full in the face, as is Ray, for 1984. Egon is a great likeness but the expression is a problem, he's sneering, which he hardly ever did in the movie. Would HT have done better? NO. No way would HT have done better likenesses and the paint would have been too brown (at least their colouring is caucasian). The only one that doesn't work for me is Winston, even with the fact that the others have bouffant hair his head still looks too small to the point where he almost looks like he's in the wrong scale.

Interesting. After seeing the new paint job done by davejames I think you could be right. Great sculpts got short shrift by some truly bad paint jobs.

View attachment 383558

View attachment 383559

View attachment 383560

View attachment 383561

View attachment 383562

Almost wish I hadn't seen your paint job. It's so good it's made this figure go from a Meh to one I actually wish I had.

exactly. but we are super jealous now. haa

Well normally I never do commission work, but this would be an easy enough process to duplicate that I might consider doing a few more for people... possibly...

(But only as far as lightening the skin tone. For the eyes I would only want to lighten the existing ones, since fully repainting them just takes way too much time, and is something I'm still not that great at. :p)

Love how you took the dead stare from the factory apps and gave him a realistic determined look. You brought so much needed life into the sculpt. You should do a YouTube video.

Back