BioWare's "The Old Republic" will be better than the PT

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My last MMORPG I've been playing for about 5 years and am ready for a change. I am REALLY looking forward to this one, especially after playing both of Bioware's KOTOR games.

should be able too. Bioware did talk about using lower end in-game graphics to make the game more accessble in the earlier video ( Like Blizzad does with World of Warcraft) . I'm still eager to see how the whole "your choices shape the galaxy" thing is going to work. As long as it dosn't end up being a pay-to-play Diablo, I'm good.

Still not 100% sold on the real world money for in-game economy either, but It's bioware, i've got faith.

I so wanted to play a Star Wars MMO and this game looks like its going to be awesome, especially since it's done by Bioware. Unfortunately I doubt my PC can handle it, so I'm pretty much screwed. :monkey2 I was hoping they would release it for 360 as well as PC.

Last edited:
I so wanted to play a Star Wars MMO and this game looks like its going to be awesome, especially since it's done by Bioware. Unfortunately I doubt my PC can handle it, so I'm pretty much screwed. :monkey2 I was hoping they would release it for 360 as well as PC.

see my quote

should be able too. Bioware did talk about using lower end in-game graphics to make the game more accessble in the earlier video ( Like Blizzad does with World of Warcraft) . I'm still eager to see how the whole "your choices shape the galaxy" thing is going to work. As long as it dosn't end up being a pay-to-play Diablo, I'm good.

Still not 100% sold on the real world money for in-game economy either, but It's bioware, i've got faith.

Wooo hoo! self quote!

Basicly, They're taking a page from blizzard and making the game able to play on lower end machines, which will create a much larger player base.
unless your machine is still running windows Me, or earlier, it should be able to run this.

Unless Bioware changes their mind on that.

Oh, please... this will destroy TFU. BioWare has never made a bad game.

Bioware does have a pretty solid track record, I'm looking forward to dragon age personally.

The trailer is definately awesome, but I learned a loooong time ago not to judge a game by it's trailer. Here's to hoping it kicks ass even though I don't play MMMMORPG LMNOP's whatever their called. :lol

see my quote

Wooo hoo! self quote!

Basicly, They're taking a page from blizzard and making the game able to play on lower end machines, which will create a much larger player base.
unless your machine is still running windows Me, or earlier, it should be able to run this.

Unless Bioware changes their mind on that.
My PC has Windows XP and it isn't that old, but my PC has a habit of being uncooperative when it comes to games. I was able to run Final Fantasy XI fairly well after turning down some effects, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

yeeeah, Fianl failure had some CRAZY requirements, and some massive textures.

here, let me try to simplify, yet complicate my explanation.
Lets say you set the graphics to maximum. then you've got the biggest draw distance, and ever model in the game, be they characters or props use textures that are a minimum of 1280X1280 in resolution size. EVERYTHING is smoothed and anti-aliased, and every time you turn around you run into particale effects, volumetric lighting, bump-mapping, and shadows. oh GLORIOUS 3d high-res shadows.
and it mulches your system requirements.
if you've got a machine like mine, then your pc won't even break a sweat.

Lets say you turn the graphics all the way down. the game loads the low res, semi-jagged character models. dose not smooth anything, r only minimal things. no anti-aliasing, SIMPLE shadows (a single black dot below the character, Rectangles for objects, etc) Simple lighting, little to no particle effects, and VERY LOW RES textures, such as 128X128. in addition, your draw distance will be turned WAAAY down.

Beleive me, You should have no trouble.

It does look impressive, but I'm personally disappointed that it's an MMORPG. I don't have the time to put into one of those anymore.

And while I'm not one who thinks you have to run everything on maximum, there's a point where you have to question whether it's worth it to play the game if you have to turn everything way down. That's one thing I like about consoles -- you know that you'll get a reasonably good gaming experience without problems, even if it's not as good as the absolute best that PCs can do.

This is all I needed to see:

https://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-star-wars/49937

Who cares if it's a MMORPG if the set up, story and cut scenes are this amazing?

Cutscenes are a tiny, tiny part of MMORPGs. I just hope you don't have to spend 40 hours killing rats to do anything interesting.

And I already want a 1:6 figure of Darth Whoeverthatis. :rock

You mean Darth Vader Helmet Reveal Rip-Off Man? :lol

That being said:

The cutscene was awesome. The gameplay may be good, too, but I don't have the time for MMOs anymore. I think I'll wait until the game comes out and watch all of the cutscenes on YouTube. :rock.

I can definitely agree with that. I'm really sad they did not go with a standard RPG on this one. I've got active EQ2 and WoW accounts now, and i barely have time for them.
I also have no intention of quitting WoW, and if I keep going with EQ2, i'll lkel make the same call there too.

2 MMO's is enough already.

Cutscenes are a tiny, tiny part of MMORPGs. I just hope you don't have to spend 40 hours killing rats to do anything interesting.

You mean Darth Vader Helmet Reveal Rip-Off Man? :lol

That being said:

The cutscene was awesome. The gameplay may be good, too, but I don't have the time for MMOs anymore. I think I'll wait until the game comes out and watch all of the cutscenes on YouTube. :rock.

I feel I should also mention that MOST MMO's only have 1 cutscene as the intro.. some have them in-game as well, however the in-game cut-scene is generaly not as nice looking as an intro. for example

here is the Wrath of the Litchking Intro from WoW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XGkmoI-gUw&feature=related

Compared to the only In-game cinematic from WoW I know Of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QWR15OLcoI&feature=fvsr

See what i mean?

I hope the Sith lord and the jedi are both Premium Formatted!!
darth Malak+Lord Bane = that guy w/ vader prototype respirator= SHEER DOPENESS!!
Blown Away!

I'm glad it's an MMO. And for those who say you don't got time. DON'T GRIND! Simple as that, HAVE SELF CONTROL. It's not a race to get the best gear loot whatever. I told myself when i started LOTRO that i would not grind like i did in SWG and i had a much better time. I may not have leveled as fast but i did it my way ("my way" what an MMO is supposed to be) It's a game that should take you through years of enjoyment, and exploration. If you can only do a few hours a week so be it. (it'll be up to you to see if it's worth it to you) But like SWG, a chance to explore the SW universe has no price on it. (at least for me) this game is going to be HUGE! Is there a release date yet?

(and i hope i can hunt Krayts like in SWG :))

I like the PT (and love ROTS) but that trailer takes me back to the mid-90's when it was announced that a new trilogy was being planned. Before the Special Editions, before Jar Jar and Battle Droids, when the possibilities seemed endless. Sigh. :(

Back