Billy Shatner in Toronto this past weekend, loser!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beren

Super Freak
Reaction score
William Shatner was at the Toronto Fan Expo 2010 this past weekend. The organizers are finally getting media attention for their poor organization and screwing the fans over. People who paid $65 for their weekend pass and couldn't get in because of overcrowding and STILL selling day passes and letting those in!

Back to topic, Shatner appeared Sunday only, was to do the Q&A at 1pm, signing 2-5pm as I was told by staff on Saturday, 5pm photo ops.

Saturday I inquired about the schedule and the price for an autograph. I was a bit shocked to hear that the price was $80 CDN. I expected $60, like Leonard Nimoy had charged last year at the expo. Everyone else in attendance was charging between $25-40.

Honestly, the only reason I went ahead with getting a ticket on Saturday is because I had already gotten the 25th Anniversary Plate series with Kirk. I had gotten the Chekov and Spock 25th plate signed last year by those respective actors. So I was starting a collection of TOS 25th Anniversary autographed plates. And maybe demand was so high for Shatner, that they were selling tickets for his autograph and would outsell and I would be screwed out of completing the collection I started. (I have the completist-disease).

Sunday, Mr. Shatner gives his presentation at 1pm. Well-performed but I personally prefer when it's 'real'. Anyway, I decide to attend a panel after, so maybe the rush wouldn't be as great when he starts signing right after the Q&A. I leave a bit early, get to the signing area at 2.50pm. He's not there. I'm told I can get in the line-up, he would be there at 3.30pm. There are 6 people ahead of me. I wait because I figure then I can attend a panel at 4pm. Then we're told he'll be out at 3.45pm.

Finally at 3.50pm he comes to his table. I count maybe 30 people in the line-up. This is after making the line stall for an hour! Then the staff usher us to the table, one guy at the table says to hurry up so we can get through with everyone.

Me: There aren't that many people lined up, man.
Staffer: Really? What, like a hundred people?
Me: No, it's more like 30.
Staffer: Really?
Me: Yeah. I counted. While waiting in line for an hour.

At that point I had my plate out, got the autograph. I had nothing really to say to Shatner at that point and everyone seemed to be under the impression that things had to move quickly, so I was in and out in seconds, not even eye contact with him. LOL

Not even 5 minutes later there is an announcement over the PA "Last call for William Shatner, last call.". This announcement was made twice.

And around 4pm, he was gone. There were 40, at the VERY most 50 autographs signed (if some people got more than one auto). 40 is more likely. He was at the table for all of 10 minutes. There was a throng of people taking his picture though.

Last year, Leonard Nimoy was busy for hours non-stop on both Saturday and Sunday. HUGE line-ups.

Shatner didn't look too happy when he left and when he was gone the expo staff were kind of grinning haplessly at each other. I must admit a certain glee that Shatner priced himself out of the market. I was hoping to see him sit down for 3 hours with no one at his table, for the gall of charging $80 for his autograph. This in effect is what happened, except he/his handlers knew how few advance auto tickets they sold and were hoping for more people to show up at the last minute. The couple behind me told me that they had lined up previously, Shatner showed up around 2.30pm but his handlers whisked him off again within minutes, with no explanation to the people lined up. He/they stalled the line for another hour to avoid him sitting there for hours on end with no one at his table. The jerk wasn't even man enough to do that, instead he rushed through everyone in 5 mins and got out of there.

2 years ago James Edward Olmos sat at his table, also a victim of overestimating his "market value" and was charging $50 where everyone else was $15-30 that particular year, if I remember correctly. But he was there for his run of time, and also was very engaging to talk to. His Q&A was also a blast, very funny and entertaining guy. Kudos to him.

While waiting for that hour, I seriously considered having a TOS 25th plate collection without Kirk signed. I doubt they would have given me my money back though. Anytime someone would have said "oh, but you didn't get Shatner" I could have retorted with "Nah, I chose not to get his, he's a jerk."

Beren

Nobody calls The Shat "Billy."

And it's "Mr. Shatner" to you. :D

I love William Shatner and would pay 80 bucks anyday to get a chance to meet him.

EJ Olmos is one of the least pretentious or affected actors you could have the pleasure of meeting. His grandaughter and my little girl play in the same kids softball league, and he's usually there every Saturday rooting them on. Really nice, down to earth guy.

Shatner, although I love him as an actor, always comes across as a real stuffed shirt.

I love William Shatner and would pay 80 bucks anyday to get a chance to meet him.

If by "meet" you mean being told to keep moving along, hand over your to-be-signed item to a handler who passes it on to Shatner who then passes it on to another handler who then passes it back to you, then yes, you can definitely "meet" him for $80 bucks.

Beren

If by "meet" you mean being told to keep moving along, hand over your to-be-signed item to a handler who passes it on to Shatner who then passes it on to another handler who then passes it back to you, then yes, you can definitely "meet" him for $80 bucks.

Beren

That is the most awesome thing ever. The man insulates himself from trekkies. :lol:lol:lol

Beren

That's exactly what I mean and that's how I met Leonard Nimoy.
I grew up with Star Trek TOS and Captain Kirk was my hero from age 4 and up so it would be a pleasure.

That is the most awesome thing ever. The man insulates himself from trekkies. :lol:lol:lol

To be fair, this is what goes on when there's a huge throng of people waiting to get their sigs and limited time. In this case however, it was a joke. It took him about 5 minutes to get through 30 people and there may have been a few stragglers (very few). Either his handlers were delusional and thought there was massive pent-up demand, especially after only starting to sign 2 hours later than planned or "Mr." Shatner knew what was up and wanted to get out of there ASAP. I wonder what happened with his photo op schedule (for 5pm).

I'm not a Shatner fan or Trekkie, I'm a TOS fan. I watched reruns when I was 4 years old and it was magic. And rewatching the complete series on DVD recently back to back as an adult gave me even more appreciation, for season 1, especially.

Shatner doesn't owe the fans anything I guess, but fans should take heed and ignore him if he's "too good" for the fans. You can tell when other actors genuinely appreciate the fans, it's not just the money for them. With Shatner, that is the only thing that brings him to conventions.

Beren

That's exactly what I mean and that's how I met Leonard Nimoy.
I grew up with Star Trek TOS and Captain Kirk was my hero from age 4 and up so it would be a pleasure.

I understand that, trust me I do. I watched TOS from age 4 myself (see previous post) but I also as an adult have read the autobiographies of Leonard Nimoy, Walter Koenig, Nichelle Nichols, George Takei and the producers of TOS and the picture they paint of Shatner even in the 60s is not very flattering. (Leonard Nimoy didn't comment on Shatner's huge ego in his book but he DID put him in his place back in the 60s.)

Captain Kirk is your hero. Great. But this is the actor William Shatner we are talking about. And I for one don't want to give someone like that my hard-earned $$. I only did it for the complete-set thing.

Others have had it far worse, there's this guy who came to the expo only to see Stan Lee and tell him how much his comics meant to him during his troubled childhood and the handlers were completely rude, Stan Lee wasn't even allowed to personalize items "$40! signature only!"

I had a whole speech I wanted to share with Leonard Nimoy last year, how much TOS meant to me blabla, it was the first time I had ever seen cast members of TOS live, so that was exciting to me. Only to be shepherded through. He WAS nice enough to personalize it though, after I asked. :) And LN had a huge line-up on both days so it was a lot more understandable that he had to keep it moving.

Walter Koenig had few people, but he seemed to only grin and bear it, LOL He wasn't really interested in engaging the fans. Or maybe he's just shy.

Beren

To be fair, this is what goes on when there's a huge throng of people waiting to get their sigs and limited time. In this case however, it was a joke. It took him about 5 minutes to get through 30 people and there may have been a few stragglers (very few). Either his handlers were delusional and thought there was massive pent-up demand, especially after only starting to sign 2 hours later than planned or "Mr." Shatner knew what was up and wanted to get out of there ASAP. I wonder what happened with his photo op schedule (for 5pm).

I'm not a Shatner fan or Trekkie, I'm a TOS fan. I watched reruns when I was 4 years old and it was magic. And rewatching the complete series on DVD recently back to back as an adult gave me even more appreciation, for season 1, especially.

Shatner doesn't owe the fans anything I guess, but fans should take heed and ignore him if he's "too good" for the fans. You can tell when other actors genuinely appreciate the fans, it's not just the money for them. With Shatner, that is the only thing that brings him to conventions.

Beren

I think a contributing factor of the small audience was the fact that he was only there at the very end of the last day. A lot of people (like myself) would have loved his autograph, but his autograph (as you said) cost double what everyone else's did (including Stan Lee's, which was only $40 and who was SUPER nice even though his handlers were rushing people). MAYBE if I had walked in on the friday and the first thing I saw was a lineup for an $80 autograph from Shatner I would have splurged spontaneously (like I did for Michael Dorn's...who was kind of a sour puss), but at the end of the Expo, after everyone has spent their budget, $80 just wasn't an option for most people anymore.

I think a contributing factor of the small audience was the fact that he was only there at the very end of the last day. A lot of people (like myself) would have loved his autograph, but his autograph (as you said) cost double what everyone else's did (including Stan Lee's, which was only $40 and who was SUPER nice even though his handlers were rushing people). MAYBE if I had walked in on the friday and the first thing I saw was a lineup for an $80 autograph from Shatner I would have splurged spontaneously (like I did for Michael Dorn's...who was kind of a sour puss), but at the end of the Expo, after everyone has spent their budget, $80 just wasn't an option for most people anymore.

I think you have some good theories but I also believe it mostly came down to he priced himself out of the market. And I have to admit, there was a certain satisfaction for me. Especially after having to wait an hour in a paused line which was their strategy to artificially create a line-up. From what I've read about Shatner, if Leonard Nimoy was charging $60, THAT is why he would try to charge $80. And it didn't work, his ego got a nice little _____-slap :clap

And charging double what everyone else did, also would give most people pause.

And possibly another factor is that this is his third appearance in 5 or 6 years in Toronto, so the hardcore fans all have their sigs already.

Beren

Back