Big Chief Studios James Bond Series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I think it's an excellent figure. There are a couple of nitpicks to be sure, I think the overcoat length is too short, and the dinner jacket sleeves are a little big at the cuffs, but I'm quite happy with it.

As a ridiculous comparison, here it is (unfutzed) next to the old Sideshow Dr. No Bond...

Attachments

• 20220329_170952.jpg
    20220329_170952.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 110
Also a huge relief... some early pics made it look like similar problems from the Goldfinger fig, but I think the proportions are much much better, the headsculpt paint is not overly glossy or wet, looks totally natural, and thankfully (at least on mine), no paint rub.

First YouTube video of the figure is up.

It looks a little better in this video, but for the most part I feel like this figure failed to make the grade. I mean, these are the officially licensed high end 1:6 James Bond figures, for crying out loud!

Big Chief messed up a few crucial things on the Goldfinger Bond, like the suit tailoring and the cheap gangly body underneath, so I thought they'd learn from those mistakes and do much better this time. They did do well enough with the Live and Let Die Bond, and it's a figure I was pleasantly surprised with, but they messed up slightly with tailoring on that also (i.e. the pants were intended and advertised specifically to be accurate "high-waist", but were cut measured and fitted wrong so they ended up being low-waist style). A relatively negligible mistake, but one that would show they were diminishing errors with every Bond release, rather than making more. This Dr No Bond puts us back by a few years and seems to exhibit more problems.

I've said this so many times and will say it again: Big Chief is still making figures that are almost 15 years behind and close to old Sideshow quality. While some things have improved, like head sculpts, they are still using terrible bodies and having so many rudimentary problems with outfit tailoring. I respect Big Chief for pursuing classic British licenses, and think their products are decent, but they need to explore some manufacturing options that bring their products closer to the level of other companies. In this day and age of 1:6 collectibles you can get better bodies and outfits (like suits) from small company kit bash makers. I'm almost tempted to just buy a better third party tux and body for the Dr No Bond, but how much fussing, parting out and customizing should an expensive licensed figure require? The only licensed piece to be culled from this BC Dr No Bond is the head sculpt, and even that falls short by a bit.

Any chance you can post a better side by side of the two figures? It's really interesting. I mean, there is a clear and obvious difference and one can immediately tell which is the newer version... however, I am surprised that there is not as major a difference between the two as one would assume with 20 years between them. For instance, Hot Toys Neo from 2000 and Hot Toys Neo from several years ago show a massive difference between the two figures.

I got both figures but my dr. no seems to be missing something. What goes in the compartment beside the cigarette? mine is empty. Is that where the tarantula is supposed to be? My Bond also doesn't have the white socks.

Last edited:
Any chance you can post a better side by side of the two figures? It's really interesting. I mean, there is a clear and obvious difference and one can immediately tell which is the newer version... however, I am surprised that there is not as major a difference between the two as one would assume with 20 years between them. For instance, Hot Toys Neo from 2000 and Hot Toys Neo from several years ago show a massive difference between the two figures.
In-hand (maybe not being reflected in my pics) it's a massive difference. To be fair, I always loved the Sideshow Bonds, and actually, with a new paintjob, I think some of the sculpts would be pretty good. But side-by-side it's a huge difference. These pics are the figures side-by-side, the older one has wonky proportions, the tuxedo is terribly tailored (looks tight to the body because it has been on the original waist clamp stand the entire time), paint is super soft, accessories are plentiful, but soft on details and paint.
P3290287.JPG
P3290286.JPG
P3290292.JPG
P3290293.JPG
P3290295.JPG
P3290294.JPG
P3290288.JPG
P3290289.JPG
P3290290.JPG

Thanks for those pictures! They really help show off the difference over 20 years much better.

I'm liking the Connery more and more. The sculpt is terrific.

The one thing that continues to bother me is the strange collar/bow-tie that makes what looks to be a singular white ring around Bond's neck. It's just strange.

I caved in and POed a while back, but I've been having serious second thoughts for a while now. I don't even like Peaky Fookin Blindahs that much, I'm just a sucker for well-tailored suits and like Cillian Murphy. It's why I was curious to see if they'd do Alfie and Mosley, as again, I love a well tailored suit. I already had my misgivings, but I figured, "screw it, how bad can it be; it's not like we'll see any other company tackling the license" and then the signature edition got me to PO from BCS directly. The price is huge however, and I'm not confident that they'll match it.
I know what you mean. Even in real life, I like a well tailored suit. Before covid, a lot of my friends were getting married so I had prefect excuses to get a handful of suits done. I love seeing the scaled down work that a lot of custom tailors are able to achieve even if it's a character I have no interest in. I would love to be surprised/impressed if BCS came out on top with the Peaky Blinders figures. Maybe with this Bond, they knew they were losing the license and literally gave up once it went into production.
Honestly, for the prices BCS charges, the quality absolutely isn't there. But they're handling relatively niche licenses, so it's their version or nothing, which is how a lot of folks cave in.
Yea, that tends to be the problem a good handful of times in this hobby unfortunately. For me, that's what has me a little excited for Queen/InArt in that before it was Hot Toys or nothing, but maaaaaybe we might have a second option on at least SOME characters now.
For my money, them being relatively low-key means they gain a higher cost on the aftermarket, so even though I'll never sell, I kinda justify the cost to myself like that. The Docs are all alone in their part of the collection, but I was planning on displaying Tommy with Dam's Vito, and I fear the difference between the two will be too great. But we'll see, I guess. Maybe they'll really work on these.
I do this a lot as well, particularly with Star Ace Harry Potter. Regardless of what ppl say about them, a good many of those figures go for a good chunk more on the aftermarket. Though, just like your DW display, my Star Ace Harry Potter figures are on their own shelf. Can't even put the HT Fantastic Beasts 2 figures with them.

In-hand (maybe not being reflected in my pics) it's a massive difference. To be fair, I always loved the Sideshow Bonds, and actually, with a new paintjob, I think some of the sculpts would be pretty good. But side-by-side it's a huge difference. These pics are the figures side-by-side, the older one has wonky proportions, the tuxedo is terribly tailored (looks tight to the body because it has been on the original waist clamp stand the entire time), paint is super soft, accessories are plentiful, but soft on details and paint.
View attachment 569419View attachment 569422View attachment 569423View attachment 569424View attachment 569425View attachment 569426View attachment 569427View attachment 569428View attachment 569429
The likeness on this new one is superb!!

Sideshow Bond looks like a GI Joe now, but at the time, I thought it was the coolest figure ever! I'm keeping my preorder of the new one.

Looks a lot better when properly posed up...I'm excited again:)
It's a great figure. But is it perfect? No. But I still rate it highly.
First YouTube video of the figure is up.

In person he's very impressive. For Bond collectors it will be a grail piece for sure. He has some flaws, sure, but in a simple pose he OWNS the shelf. Love it.

Last edited:
I know what you mean. Even in real life, I like a well tailored suit. Before covid, a lot of my friends were getting married so I had prefect excuses to get a handful of suits done. I love seeing the scaled down work that a lot of custom tailors are able to achieve even if it's a character I have no interest in. I would love to be surprised/impressed if BCS came out on top with the Peaky Blinders figures. Maybe with this Bond, they knew they were losing the license and literally gave up once it went into production.
I'm interested in a good suit in a figure no matter the property, yeah. The tailoring and headsculpts are what make this scale fun to collect.

I hope they do pay more attention to them, as they're they're their most awaited figures ATM, but with all the delays, who knows?

Yea, that tends to be the problem a good handful of times in this hobby unfortunately. For me, that's what has me a little excited for Queen/InArt in that before it was Hot Toys or nothing, but maaaaaybe we might have a second option on at least SOME characters now.
Exactly. I'm not a huge DC guy (apart from Batman and GL, I'm much more of a Vertigo type) but I do want to see them rival HT at least in the DC department. Push them to some new heights. I have a faint hope that QS wil do a Keanu Constantine with great tailoring and lots of accessories, but we're a long ways from that. For the time being, just seeing them compete in the Bat-Sphere will be enough, even if I'm only interested in very few characters from there, and will probably not even get them due to the nature of the Reeves-Verse.

I do this a lot as well, particularly with Star Ace Harry Potter. Regardless of what ppl say about them, a good many of those figures go for a good chunk more on the aftermarket. Though, just like your DW display, my Star Ace Harry Potter figures are on their own shelf. Can't even put the HT Fantastic Beasts 2 figures with them.
It sucks not being able to properly display them, but if they're your only choice for getting a character, and they go for so much in the aftermarket, sometimes I cave in. They're not up to HT quality yet have higher prices, but the aftermarket prices and them being slightly more collectible items give them an extra push. Me, I caved because of the Signature Edition, as I figured that'd go for much more. Funny thing is, from BCS website the normal edition of Tommy sold out, and the Sig is still in stock!

The one thing that continues to bother me is the strange collar/bow-tie that makes what looks to be a singular white ring around Bond's neck. It's just strange.

On mine the collar is definitely tailored to a point and is longer at the front than the back. With tinkering it can be pulled down a little, though the bow tie being attached to the collar does hamper it a bit.

BCS aren't entirely bad. I saw their Ming in hand this morning. I thought he looked really good, however, there is NO WAY I'm paying the £250 that the retailer was asking for him. £80 maybe, that would be top whack for what you get. (I know I'm dreaming, LOL!)

Back