Big Chief Studios James Bond Series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working on Bond finally... he's looking good... even if the picture isn't...

working.jpg

I think he looks pretty damn good... and honestly the futzing is all about minutia. With some basic straightening, you can get this looks without full undress. I really wanted to iron that collar on mine as well as the pants, so the redress became necessary.

I would like to alter the body though. The chest is fine, but the build up of layers and buttons and the stiffness of the material tends to create a more "poufy" chest then Connery had back in the day.

The shoulders also need adjusting (which I have not done since just discovering this). They are a bit large and rounded, so its difficult to get a nice clean edge on the shoulder line without once side having a slight bulge. The fix would be to sand down the outside of the shoulders a bit -- just a bit -- or like Vader cut a wedge out of the rib area on the body so the arms can hand straight down better. I would try the sanding first. Its a very minor problem truly.

If the jacket cut was a little wider on the shoulders, or the body's shoulder's a little less rounded, this would not be an issue.

All other proportions are nice and seem accurate.

Here's the body:

body.jpg

As you can see the jacket is cut to the narrow shoulders of the body but the shoulders are just too rounded.

And here's the shoulders -- sloped down and then up as needed ...

shoulder down - up.jpg

I think he looks pretty damn good... and honestly the futzing is all about minutia. With some basic straightening, you can get this looks without full undress. I really wanted to iron that collar on mine as well as the pants, so the redress became necessary.

I would like to alter the body though. The chest is fine, but the build up of layers and buttons and the stiffness of the material tends to create a more "poufy" chest then Connery had back in the day.

The shoulders also need adjusting (which I have not done since just discovering this). They are a bit large and rounded, so its difficult to get a nice clean edge on the shoulder line without once side having a slight bulge. The fix would be to sand down the outside of the shoulders a bit -- just a bit -- or like Vader cut a wedge out of the rib area on the body so the arms can hand straight down better. I would try the sanding first. Its a very minor problem truly.

If the jacket cut was a little wider on the shoulders, or the body's shoulder's a little less rounded, this would not be an issue.

All other proportions are nice and seem accurate.

Here's the body:

View attachment 384588

As you can see the jacket is cut to the narrow shoulders of the body but the shoulders are just too rounded.

And here's the shoulders -- sloped down and then up as needed ...

View attachment 384589
Do you mean for good in jacket look, we need to lift shoulders so much up?

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

Do you mean for good in jacket look, we need to lift shoulders so much up?

Yes, the jacket looks better if you raise the shoulders up like the 2nd picture above.... as if Bond is shrugging. :lol But he doesn't look like he's shrugging with the jacket on, just helps hold out the shoulders of the jacket.

It also helps if you pinch the corners of the jacket -- where it meets the sleeve -- to give it a nice sharp edge.

The jacket collar will ride up a bit because of the lapels on the vest, so the 'shoulders up' help that a bit too.

The one thing I have not done yet is water treatment to help shape the shoulders and collar area. The jacket and vest are very stiff material so I'm not certain water will have any affect.

Sorry to say this but the body is ****- the shoulders are too small and narrow for Connery- they needed to pad and adjust like HT does to alter body contours on different figures

I do agree the underlying body is not ideal for Connery in a fitted suit. As I mentioned, the chest and shoulders create problems based on how the suit is prepared.

That aside, its the best Connery Bond out there if you don't have a custom bbkill/yunsil.

Good work WG.

I'm gonna flatten and glue down the vest lapels. That is #1 in my sched. Then do the shoulders, whether it's pushing up the shoulders or inserting a thin strip of foam to square the shoulders. Iron the jacket and pants, then determine that I need a different body. :lol

Good work WG.

I'm gonna flatten and glue down the vest lapels. That is #1 in my sched. Then do the shoulders, whether it's pushing up the shoulders or inserting a thin strip of foam to square the shoulders. Iron the jacket and pants, then determine that I need a different body. [emoji38]
Different body you can't use because of very long neck sculpt.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

Great work Wor Gar and you're absolutely right, chest is too big, shoulders too small. Would it work to stick some foam padding on the arms and sand down the moobs, I wonder?

One thing I've done on the past is to transplant some muscle arms to a body to make shoulders wider.

Thanks guys.

Very minimal ironing needed BTW -- the stiff material bends naturally but doesn't wrinkle badly at all. The clothes really hold their shape. Pants and shirt collar is all I really did; very light ironing here and there where needed.

Great work Wor Gar and you're absolutely right, chest is too big, shoulders too small. Would it work to stick some foam padding on the arms and sand down the moobs, I wonder?

One thing I've done on the past is to transplant some muscle arms to a body to make shoulders wider.

Gido's likely right about finding another body.

That said, widening the arms or shoulders won't help because the suit is cut to the narrow shoulder body it's on. The width of the shoulders is fixed by the cut of the suit. But I would suggest sanding down the roundness of the shoulder a bit -- you'll see it in hand, just below where the sleeve is sewn to the shoulder, there's a portion of the body's shoulder that stick out a bit. Again its subtle, but it does interrupt a potentially clean line.

I'm not going to strip my Bond down any time soon again, so hopefully someone else will do it... but here's the areas I'm talking about...

Sand down the to the red line

sand this portion.jpg

I do agree the underlying body is not ideal for Connery in a fitted suit. As I mentioned, the chest and shoulders create problems based on how the suit is prepared.

That aside, its the best Connery Bond out there if you don't have a custom bbkill/yunsil.

Yes the entire presentation is terrific- I have him on order but really all this work to make him look better? Still leagues away from what HT gives us despite all the knocks HT gets in nit-picking dept.
I'm sure he will be good in my collection but Bond is such a favorite of mine and a huge iconic license I wish BC would have gone the extra mile in the body dept.

I know what you mean. Thankfully the body is tight (no loose joints) and the hands are very easy to swap.

But you know, as much as I love this suit on Connery, its not Bond's most iconic look truthfully.

I hope this shoulder bit gets sorted out on the black tuxedo Bond from Dr. No. Just another fraction of an inch across the shoulders would make the difference at this scale.

Cracked me open a few days ago. Will give a full review a bit later.

For now I will offer that Oddjob and Goldfinger passed the test for me. For big chief I’m impressed. For 1/6 figures in general I’m satisfied but not blown away. And it suffers in the obvious areas (PAINT!) but compared to something like part 2 McFly it’s hard to argue that they are not much better figures.

Bond though is a clear fail to me. I’d go so far to say it’s a bad figure. Is it the worst of all time? No. Like I said I’d also call McFly a bad figure (just got him too so that’s why I’m comparing) . But this is no winner either. Everything from the sculpt to the paint (especially the paint!) and the body and suit (especially the suit!) is a huge let down. It passes the test in accessories but that’s not enough to edge it to a pass in my books.

I’ll post a detailed review and photos of my mods later.

Well, one down, two to go.
Auric Goldfinger arrived this morning.
The others are obviously en route , but I’m not sticking around at the office any longer.
I’ll be back in tomorrow.

I opened up GF.
Figure had a crumpled bag over the face, so expected to see a perfect figure.
And no. Afraid to say that the nose issue is on this figure. Very disappointed.

Back