Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There’s always the Howard Stern Doctor Who figures.😳😖😬
IMG_1190.jpeg

For me 9 would be my first (since apparently I'll never have that Sixth & Master). And that was my question too. If there was nothing else in the pipeline, I'd probably do it. But there's absolutely *tons* and missing out on Tom with no upgrade in the clear future--and knowing who made it and how they screwed people over--kinda makes me want to just wash me hands of them entirely. (If I had others right now) I might just sell them. I love Who but these are now just bitter reminders and like any relationship gone bad, gonna need some time. (No pun intended)

For me 9 would be my first (since apparently I'll never have that Sixth & Master). And that was my question too. If there was nothing else in the pipeline, I'd probably do it. But there's absolutely *tons* and missing out on Tom with no upgrade in the clear future--and knowing who made it and how they screwed people over--kinda makes me want to just wash me hands of them entirely. (If I had others right now) I might just sell them. I love Who but these are now just bitter reminders and like any relationship gone bad, gonna need some time. (No pun intended)
That's a good point. For "completist" collectors this might pose an issue. I considered getting Capaldi Who from MR, but as you say, it may just cause me to be bitter and honestly I'm getting a little tired of the 1/6 collecting game in particular and collecting in general.

Might be time for a Swedish Death Clean.

I saw a post today on FB from a guy who was about £1400 out of pocket - money that he had been left by his late mother. But you look at that statement the other day and there’s no remorse at all. They’re making excuses for themselves to the bitter end.
Pixel is out like $3200. It's no small amount, people are out a lot of money. It's quite sad

Yeah that's how I'm feeling right now, plus knowing there will never be a complete set now either. I'll probably pack mine away at some point...at least until I feel a bit better about it all.

Seeing the amounts of money some people have lost on both Facebook and on here to them is just is awful. :(

Yeah that's how I'm feeling right now, plus knowing there will never be a complete set now either. I'll probably pack mine away at some point...at least until I feel a bit better about it all.

Seeing the amounts of money some people have lost on both Facebook and on here to them is just is awful. :(
I wouldn't lose hope or sell them. Just hold out. QMx never finished their run of TOS Trek, but now EXO-6 will. Dr Who is a pretty popular franchise. I bet another company picks it up and first finishes the line, then revisits the past Doctors. Either that or a third-party company will see the gaps in the line and want to fill them. It's just a matter of time. Plus, now that BCS have gone under, the value of the figures will increase over the coming months/years.

Interesting quote I read in the latest Doctor Who Magazine:
"With Russell T Davies having resumed his position as showrunner, there’s a renewed sense of excitement about the series’ merchandising. Licensees’ plans are still under wraps, but we have a feeling that collectors will need to make some more space on their shelves soon…"
Maybe there are still plans with regards to 1:6 Doctor Who?

I wouldn't lose hope or sell them. Just hold out. QMx never finished their run of TOS Trek, but now EXO-6 will. Dr Who is a pretty popular franchise. I bet another company picks it up and first finishes the line, then revisits the past Doctors. Either that or a third-party company will see the gaps in the line and want to fill them. It's just a matter of time. Plus, now that BCS have gone under, the value of the figures will increase over the coming months/years.
I would argue EXO-6 is a different beast, created solely to produce a definitive Star Trek 1/6 series. Plus QMx had a great start with Nanjin attached. I don't see this happening with big chief.

Yup, I got my Definitive 4th Doctor cancellation from Sideshow today. Deposit and points will be refunded, but it still felt oddly sad. Not simply because I'll never have that figure, but because there's a feeling that a certain "story" has ended. A chapter is closed and a particular maker, supplier and licensee in the industry has been removed from the game and from our collecting options... and enjoyment.

There is a sense of loss. Big Chief did pursue some great licenses and was actually a pretty good shop to buy from. Just as good as Sideshow and sometimes better, and probably a greater convenience for buyers outside of North America.

I suppose Doctor Who will find a new maker in time, assuming anyone wants to take it on, but it may be several years before that gets sorted out. Well, not that Big Chief was good with schedules so maybe we're used to waiting several years on Doctor Who anyway. I mean years for the license to get sorted out and more years for the products to be developed. Other licenses like Gerry Anderson and Space: 1999 are likely dead. Bond may have some chance, but no one other than DID has been hovering around that possibility lately.
It may have all ended badly but BCS made some of my favouite characters in 1/6 scale. From Dr who to Bond and Peaky Blinders.
While the quility may not have been as good as HT, their Pertwee, Moore and the Shelby bros can still stand tall against the best of them.

I really do hope that someone else takes up the mantel of making 1/6 Who figures. MARS TOYS are doing Bond so maybe someone will have a stab at Dr who as well?
Thankfully we still have Kaustic Plastik to give us something different.

Last edited:
Back