Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - #04 Tom Baker

They were redoing the head before the pre order and once the pre order was up it was done ( you can see the render on big chief website) so normaly they shouldnt be any delay except if they change anything like they had to on pertwee head

Edit : weird i can't find the render on the pre order page anymore but it should have been on an email or on big chief facebook

edit2 : Found the render they were in an email and shown about a month after the pre-order. If anyone want to see it they are in this thread https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231820&page=10

Envoy? de mon SM-A505FN en utilisant Tapatalk

Thanks for posting those, i remember the updates now. Looking forward to seeing the production pieces

I wish they would have done a definitive 4th doc of his earlier looks. The season 18 is ok, but not one of my favorites

Yes the new definitive series fourth doctor is part of the definitive edition collection. They may have change the name of this line but its the same thing.
They didnt mention it in their last announcement simply because it is already available for pre order since december 2019.

And by swappable face i guess they meant that they will have more than one headsculpt.

Thank you, I appreciate the help.

I also agree -- wish Tom Baker's upgrade was the other outfit, but I suppose that's one of the reasons for the Zavvi 2nd chance. I think I might have to grab a Zavvi Baker.

Does anyone here have the original? How is it in hand?

I don't own it but from what i know the mains issues people have with are : the head (not the best likeness and 5 o'clock shadow) the coat (not the right color or too bright ?) And the scarf.
If you absolutly want one of his earlier looks, just buy the zavvi version get a custom scarf and try to buy one of the new head when the figure is released.

Or you could (and thats what i'm gonna do) buy the new figure and make a second one with one of the heads. Some of his outfits are simple enought to be able to find 1/6 clothes that resemble them enought.

Envoy? de mon SM-A505FN en utilisant Tapatalk

I notice on ebay that there's a guy in Russia selling 4th Doctor scarves. Is that the best option or is there another source people are using?

They certainly look a lot better than the BCS one.

Thank you, I appreciate the help.

I also agree -- wish Tom Baker's upgrade was the other outfit, but I suppose that's one of the reasons for the Zavvi 2nd chance. I think I might have to grab a Zavvi Baker.

Does anyone here have the original? How is it in hand?

The issues I had were the sculpt being painted poorly. The coat being the "right" shade if it were in person, but wrong color when it was on screen(think han solo brown/blue coat), and that it has this stiff material that makes it flare out at the bottom. Oh, and the scarf is beyond awful with a strange material and totally wrong colors

I notice on ebay that there's a guy in Russia selling 4th Doctor scarves. Is that the best option or is there another source people are using?

They certainly look a lot better than the BCS one.
If it's yulia, she does good work. If you've seen custom ones on here, it's most likely been hers

The sculpt is actually fine on the original Tom, it was just painted really poorly which threw everything off. A quality repaint and it matches quite well with younger Tom from his initial season, so if these are better painted it should be quite a win over the original releases on that count.

As GodParticle noted, the scarf is awful, terrible canvas like material with equally poor colour and pattern, and really screams to be replaced (and I, too, recommend Yulia), and the coat material is stiff and doesn't drape well at the bottom, tending to flare out. Being made again after so long, and at a different factory as well, it will be interesting to see if the coat is made of the same material as the original release...

This guy has a very thorough breakdown of 4th's different costumes. I think they one they tried to emulate was the 14th season. I remember people complaining about the color being too red to BCS, and they posted a picture of the actual coat from a tour or something, showing it was much more red in person. Again, the han solo effect of real life vs screen

https://www.4thdoctorcostume.com/

This guy has a very thorough breakdown of 4th's different costumes. I think they one they tried to emulate was the 14th season. I remember people complaining about the color being too red to BCS, and they posted a picture of the actual coat from a tour or something, showing it was much more red in person. Again, the han solo effect of real life vs screen

https://www.4thdoctorcostume.com/

I still think they got it wrong...yes they were trying for the season 13/14 burgundy coat (which is hard to emulate) but the colour turned out way too bright and more akin to that of the safari jacket worn in season 12...

Those proto pics at the time were very misleading as the coat appeared to have been darkened up/photoshopped. The original proto can be seen in Tom's signature session and it's the same colour as the production piece.

Maybe it might have been better had they gone with a dark brown material instead, as the red on the screen worn coat was seldom seen.

I darkened up mine with a mix of dark brown and red tulip dye...not perfect but i still think it's a closer match.

Again it will be interesting to see what improvements they make on the upcoming re-release...

S13-14 COAT.jpg

S13-14 COAT1.jpg

S13-14 COAT3.jpg

Has anyone got a link to Yulia on eBay? Also how much does she charge? Her work looks wonderful.

One thing they need to fix is the key to time(if it's included). A lot had air bubbles

I still think they got it wrong...yes they were trying for the season 13/14 burgundy coat (which is hard to emulate) but the colour turned out way too bright and more akin to that of the safari jacket worn in season 12...

Those proto pics at the time were very misleading as the coat appeared to have been darkened up/photoshopped. The original proto can be seen in Tom's signature session and it's the same colour as the production piece.

Maybe it might have been better had they gone with a dark brown material instead, as the red on the screen worn coat was seldom seen.

I darkened up mine with a mix of dark brown and red tulip dye...not perfect but i still think it's a closer match.

Again it will be interesting to see what improvements they make on the upcoming re-release...

Yeah, the color is more that shorter red jacket he wore in the early seasons. I thought at first that was the jacket they were trying to do, but realized it was too long for that. I suspect the reissue will be exactly the same, but it would be nice if they tweaked it. Part of me thinks it's just old stock they have

Has anyone got a link to Yulia on eBay? Also how much does she charge? Her work looks wonderful.
I don't know her ebay ID, but just search 1/6 scale doctor who scarf and it might pop up. When I bought mine, she didn't sell through ebay at the time and it was a bit pricey. I think they go for around $50 on there the last time I saw

Her ebay id is: yuliasha_bh

She only has the season 18 scarf listed on Ebay at the moment, but they are usually all available if you message her. I've purchased two different scarves from her, on separate occasions, and had no issues whatsoever.

Thanks for the info guys!

One thing they need to fix is the key to time(if it's included). A lot had air bubbles

Yeah, the color is more that shorter red jacket he wore in the early seasons. I thought at first that was the jacket they were trying to do, but realized it was too long for that. I suspect the reissue will be exactly the same, but it would be nice if they tweaked it. Part of me thinks it's just old stock they have

I don't know her ebay ID, but just search 1/6 scale doctor who scarf and it might pop up. When I bought mine, she didn't sell through ebay at the time and it was a bit pricey. I think they go for around $50 on there the last time I saw

Those air bubbles were a disappointment alright but going from the Zavvi listing the new edition will only come with the Jelly babies and Sonic Screwdriver.

I do hope they'll make tweaks and improvements to the new edition. I just can't see them reusing bits of old stock from eight years ago...it just wouldn't make good business sense. Time will tell i guess...

The most accurate in her group photo looks to be the stunt duplicate one, is that correct?

Yes that's the most accurate. I have a couple of the season 13 scarves but they have the inaccurate blue panel...Still love them though:)

Here's another great site if you haven't already checked it out... https://www.doctorwhoscarf.com/

1a.jpg

Does she use a different technique on the 18 one? It looks like it has a nicer edge than the others. I got mine years ago, so maybe she refined her process since then

Back