Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - #04 Tom Baker

Could be, but I think its more likely that they just want to shift the remaining Tom's that they're having to pay to store.

That's my impression. They made this head to help move the remaining stock that has sold as well as hoped. I wouldn't be surprised if they included this new head with new purchases of the Tom figure after awhile. I imagine they'd wait until those willing to pay full price both have bought and then throw in the new head or another sale on Tom to help sell them out.

Surprised it did so poorly, considering the number of decades we've been waiting for a proper Tom figure!

Also hoping Bif Bang Pow get to do their Mego/Denys Fisher repro one day.

Surprised it did so poorly, considering the number of decades we've been waiting for a proper Tom figure!

Also hoping Bif Bang Pow get to do their Mego/Denys Fisher repro one day.

i'm betting it was two things - firstly, the lack of a smiling head, and secondly the paint job on the serious head (there was nothing wrong with the sculpt, as Greggo's wonderful paint up of Four on ebay has shown). Somehow it just lacked... Tomness. Then there was the fact that the scarf, which may well have been accurate, just didn't look as bright and colourful as we 'remember' (i.e. imagine) it being. I also wonder if a Season 17 costume might have done better as the coat is sharper.

I think the reason Tom didn't do as well was that for the price, the quality just wasn't there. Let's face it $300.00 for a figure is very steep. Considering the production head came out thinner than the protoype, throwing off the likeness, and the 5 o'clock shadow, that Tom Baker never had on Doctor Who, too much was off to justify the price.

Also, take into account how picky we have become with these figures. I'm just as guilty with this as anyone. How many of us were comparing scarf length and color patterns, which varied.

If it had been a spot on Tom Baker, they would have sold more. But then again, we might have found other reasons for it to be "not worth the money". It's got to be a tough call for such an iconic character for Big Chief. Everyone has their favorite Tom Baker outfit, and you can't please them all with one release.

Say you got a Hot Toys DX style with multiple outfits, scarfs, and heads, how much would that have cost? At least $500.00? Would you have paid it?

The biggest problem with the scarf is that it looks like it's made from canvas.

The biggest problem with the scarf is that it looks like it's made from canvas.

I didn't mind the texture. The colors are completely wrong. That and the coat. I mean, how hard is it to get something like that right??

What TDK said... For $300 it just wasn't good enough.

Good points guys. I guess after all this time waiting I figured it was "good enough", but not everyone could justify that price.

It does make me wonder how well a Fourth Doctor would have sold if it were up to the same standard as the Tenth Doctor they released.

Did he not sell as well because classic Doctors aren't as popular, as surmised, or did he not sell as well because of the three Doctors released thus far, he was the weakest in terms of likeness and, to a lesser extent, outfitting? I guess we'll never really know now.

I don't regret buying him personally, but I can see why some folks passed. For this price point (which I understand given how niche a product it is) they really do need to hit every release out of the park, or sales will definitely suffer. One can take a bit of financial pain for a piece that absolutely nails it, but for a piece that's merely okay, or just good even, that's a hard sell, no matter how much of a fan people are.

I really hope the new head sculpt released for Tom turns out on par with the Tennant and Smith. Even though it is an additional cost, I'll happily bare it if it brings him more in line with those releases, sculpt and likeness wise. It'll also make the other nitpicks a lot easier to live with, for me at least. Just have to wait and see I guess.

Any Doctor outside of Tennant is gonna be a damn tough sell at $300, no matter how spot on they are.

I can shed some light on why I didn't by him at first and only after he went on sale. The biggest reason is price followed by being a bigger fan of the newer episodes. I just can't afford very many $300 figures and with the exchange rate and shipping he was ending up close to there. I remember Dr. Who as a kid, but never really got into it until I start watching the new show on Netflix. Big fan of the new show and picked up Matt Smith from a US dealer at a much cheaper price. After that I heard the 11th was going on sale and couldn't pass him up. He was a lot of money but I could make an exception for him. Got him and was very happy with how he turned out.

I've started watching some of the older episodes and like the 4th Doctor episodes, but they don't have as much appeal as the newer episodes, but I still wanted him when I heard he was coming out. I was tempted to get him, but couldn't make myself pull the trigger due to the price. Finally when he went on sale that was enough to convince me to pick him up. But $250 is still a lot of money for a figure and I can only get so many at that price.

I know the 9th is coming and I'll definitely pick him up, but I don't think I can afford both the 1st and the 9th, so ultimately the 9th will probably win.

As far as sculpt, costume, paint, etc., I was happy with those and they didn't really effect my decision.

I love this figure because it's Tom Baker, 4th Doctor. But just as a figure in its own right, it just doesn't 'pop' on the shelf. No regrets on picking it up, but absolutely no surprise that a figure of an earlier Doctor, with a 'high end' price but falling just short of actually being 'high end', didn't sell as well as many predicted.

Considering the production head came out thinner than the prototype

The thing is, Gregg said that the head he painted up and put on ebay recently was a production head, and that looked fine sculpt wise - so actually, the sculpt WAS okay, it was just the production paint job that let it down. It seemed to lack any of Tom's personality.

Part of the high prices also must come from the accessories and to be honest I can do without most them. Amy Pond had so many that I'll never use (nice touches don't get me wrong) but unnecessary if the older doctors are going to be harder to sell. Beyond the sonic & some iconic item like 7th's umbrella I don't need anything else & if it reduces the the production costs so much the better. Then we are more likely to see all the doctors made

Part of the high prices also must come from the accessories and to be honest I can do without most them. Amy Pond had so many that I'll never use (nice touches don't get me wrong) but unnecessary if the older doctors are going to be harder to sell. Beyond the sonic & some iconic item like 7th's umbrella I don't need anything else & if it reduces the the production costs so much the better. Then we are more likely to see all the doctors made

I used to make this argument but BCS said its the clothes and the head which make the figure expensive.

I used to make this argument but BCS said its the clothes and the head which make the figure expensive.

The low production runs are the main culprit, but yes, I would imagine the cut and sew and sculpting/painting headsculpts are the big investments. The small, rather simplistic accessories are probably a drop in the bucket.

One thing they could cut that might actually have an effect on reducing costs are those silly light up stands. The effect is less than impressive, and I would be very surprised if most people ever turn them on for anything other than taking a picture.

Instead of saving a handful of bucks on scrimping on accessories and light-up stands... make what's there better.

Instead of saving a handful of bucks on scrimping on accessories and light-up stands... make what's there better.

It's not like they're not trying, but yes, constructive criticism is always good (and they're usually happy for respond to that on FB). Fourth and Amy didn't turn out so well but the new Amy sculpt, 11, 10, the Angels, Sherlock and Hartnell all came out well or are looking good.

Back