Big Chief Studios 1/6 Amy Pond

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't foresee any buns being fought over when it comes to Sherlock. Me thinks these will sell, but nothing like 4 and 10. I could be wrong...
Anyway, I had a brainwave after seeing a windswept Amy pic. I gelled the hair and sculpted it into a windswept style. In doing so I cover a bit of the face. It does not help too much, but at least gives the figure a new dynamic.

I can't foresee any buns being fought over when it comes to Sherlock. Me thinks these will sell, but nothing like 4 and 10. I could be wrong...
Anyway, I had a brainwave after seeing a windswept Amy pic. I gelled the hair and sculpted it into a windswept style. In doing so I cover a bit of the face. It does not help too much, but at least gives the figure a new dynamic.

Can you post a pic when you get a chance?

If you are going to go for high end pricing in the high end market then you have to deliver high end results, and unfortunately for those that 'kept the faith' and purchased her, the Amy Pond doesn't come close to delivering on that.

That's really what it comes down to for me as well.

Well, I really didn't like the windswept look. It was messy, and hid the face a bit.
I rescupted the hair (f you can call it that) to be totally straight. So now it's just kind if boring, but neat and tidy. The ears are totally covered which helps.
I tried to puff it up a bit to create a fuller face, but it didn't work, so settled on the boring straight look.
So now it's just a doll trying to look like like Amy. Again, I won't upload a pic as it doesn't help.

DVD1, I can feel the frustration and disappointment seeping out of your post. This whole Amygate business has been a real mess. I hope BCS can move on beyond it and that collectors aren't put off. It will take a couple of flawless, prompt releases and extra careful customer care to do it, but let's see. BCS say they can't afford to employ someone to take charge of customer care. I say they can't afford not to. This period is going to be pretty crucial for them.

DVD1, I can feel the frustration and disappointment seeping out of your post. This whole Amygate business has been a real mess. I hope BCS can move on beyond it and that collectors aren't put off. It will take a couple of flawless, prompt releases and extra careful customer care to do it, but let's see.

It's pretty well known on here that I am a massive fan of BCS. But even I can see that your points are valid Mau. The good thing is that, perhaps in retrospect, even the fellas at BC can see that Amy was a bit of a misdirection for them and that main characters - and not anymore companions at this stage - would and should be the focus of future figures.

And you don't get a lot more main than the Tennant and Baker Doctors. The final clothing pictures of both on their FB page look fantastic and the face sculpts are looking good, particularly the DT one. So in terms of actual figure quality, I think that this will be the 'hitting it out of the park' element that is required to ensure a much much lower need for help.

Simply put; if the figure is a good one, then buyers won't need to contact customer service. And it looks like they are swinging for the fences on #10, #4 and the Sherlock figures.

BCS say they can't afford to employ someone to take charge of customer care. I say they can't afford not to. This period is going to be pretty crucial for them.

If that is still the case, I am sure that it will change sooner rather than later, and they get more successes under their collective belts. Despite perhaps not being in a position to right now, I am certain that the boys from BCS know that it would be in their best interest to do so.

It's pretty well known on here that I am a massive fan of BCS. But even I can see that your points are valid Mau. The good thing is that, perhaps in retrospect, even the fellas at BC can see that Amy was a bit of a misdirection for them and that main characters - and not anymore companions at this stage - would and should be the focus of future figures.

The problem with Amy isn't that she's a companion - the problem with Amy is that the headsculpt has turned out subpar for the price point (and I'm being generous with the Amy sculpt seen in the recent pics - it looks warped).

If this happens again with any upcoming Who figures (or the Sherlock figures), they're still going to catch a lot of flack, no matter if it's a main character or not. Even more so if it's a main character.

The problem with Amy isn't that she's a companion - the problem with Amy is that the headsculpt has turned out subpar for the price point (and I'm being generous with the Amy sculpt seen in the recent pics - it looks warped).

To clarify, you are correct, it was not that she was a companion...what I meant by that is that, this only added to the pressure of the figure over all as Amy had been well and truly written out by that time and so interest in her as a character was understandably dwindling, but BCS had no real choice other than to press on with it regardless.

Sadly, she ended up being a genuinely well intentioned distraction.

I also stated a short few pages back, that I too had observed the distortion/warp in this new head, so I agree with your observation.

If this happens again with any upcoming Who figures (or the Sherlock figures), they're still going to catch a lot of flack, no matter if it's a main character or not. Even more so if it's a main character

As there seems to have been no noticeable changes to the proto heads, this hopefully will be a good thing.

To clarify, you are correct, it was not that she was a companion...what I meant by that is that, this only added to the pressure of the figure over all as Amy had been well and truly written out by that time and so interest in her as a character was understandably dwindling, but BCS had no real choice other than to press on with it regardless.

Sadly, she ended up being a genuinely well intentioned distraction.

I also stated a short few pages back, that I too had observed the distortion/warp in this new head, so I agree with your observation.

As there seems to have been no noticeable changes to the proto heads, this hopefully will be a good thing.

The timing was unfortunate, that the figure wasn't complete until Amy was gone, but I don't think that effected anything. If a Hot Toys quality version of Amy Pond came out today - or a year from now - I bet she'd do well.

Anyway, looking forward to Tom and David! :peace

Good points there Daron. I know it doesn't help anyone who bought this figure, but everything about BC's operation seems a bit sharper since Amy - better figure choices and communication.

I still have doubts about whether Watson will sell or sit, hope the edition size for Watson is smaller than Holmes.

The timing was unfortunate, that the figure wasn't complete until Amy was gone, but I don't think that effected anything. If a Hot Toys quality version of Amy Pond came out today - or a year from now - I bet she'd do well.

Anyway, looking forward to Tom and David! :peace

Once something is removed from the perception, its relevance is definitely diminished, just purely and simply because you don't see it anymore.

The phrase 'Out of sight, out of mind' runs as true now as it always has. Amy being gone from the show would absolutely affected the desire to own her figure, even if only - for the sake of a conversation - the tiniest of amounts.

I should know, it affected both my wife and myself.

It would only be a very tiny amount, IMO. From the start these would only appear to die hard Who fans anyway, the kind who would be more likely to buy the companions.

The sculpt at the price point is the issue, and will continue to be an issue for any figure they make unless Amy is a fluke and it doesn't happen again.

It would only be a very tiny amount, IMO. From the start these would only appear to die hard Who fans anyway, the kind who would be more likely to buy the companions.

The sculpt at the price point is the issue, and will continue to be an issue for any figure they make unless Amy is a fluke and it doesn't happen again.

Right, so still an amount then. And with the run reduced now to a total of 250, any amount will make a difference.

Once something is removed from the perception, its relevance is definitely diminished, just purely and simply because you don't see it anymore.

The phrase 'Out of sight, out of mind' runs as true now as it always has. Amy being gone from the show would absolutely affected the desire to own her figure, even if only - for the sake of a conversation - the tiniest of amounts.

I should know, it affected both my wife and myself.

A Rose figure would sell very well if released today. Could you make an argument that it would sell slightly better if they released it when she was a regular on the show? Sure. But, like the Doctors, the popular companions will always be viable if done well.

Right, so still an amount then. And with the run reduced now to a total of 250, any amount will make a difference.

250? Wow. That's almost non-existent! But, I still maintain, she would sell a lot better if she were a better figure. That's the real problem, not that she's left the show.

Well, my old mate Nicey, I suspect that we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Really? You don't think she would sell better if she were a better figure????

If Hot Toys made an Amy next year, you don't think she would sell better than 250 units?

I think, if Amy was well made, and looked like, hmmmm, oh, Amy... Then she'd have sold out in a week ( well the 250 sig editions anyway).
The Hot Toys analogy holds true. Look at Keaton Bats or Nichoson Joker. Both from 89, and sold like hot cakes ( not that I've ever actually bought a hot cake).
No, the problem with the Amy sales is down to it being a badly made figure.

I think, if Amy was well made, and looked like, hmmmm, oh, Amy... Then she'd have sold out in a week ( well the 250 sig editions anyway).
The Hot Toys analogy holds true. Look at Keaton Bats or Nichoson Joker. Both from 89, and sold like hot cakes ( not that I've ever actually bought a hot cake).
No, the problem with the Amy sales is down to it being a badly made figure.

Of course you've never bought a hot cake. YOU'RE NOT FAST ENOUGH!!!! :nana:

Back