Bif Bang Pow Twilight Zone action figures review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They showed them at SDCC and they are amazing!

SDCC-2014-Entertainment-Earth-Booth-013.jpg

SDCC-2014-Entertainment-Earth-Booth-015.jpg

Thanks for posting the images but they actually have five more figures that weren't shown at SDCC and I know the prototypes are finished. I'm sure they'll show them at NYCC, possibly sooner.

I have to admit that this is a style I don't get. By that I mean I don't get it intellectually - I can't see going after these for the nostalgia. When Super7 did the ReAction Aliens stuff, it was cool because they were figures we were supposed to get and never did. But once Funko bought them and started this drive to Funko-ize the line, doing exactly what they do with their vinyl figures (pick up every license known to mankind and pump out a ton of characters cheaply and quickly), it lost all its appeal for me.

Funko somehow hit gold with their vinyl figures, and it makes no rhyme or reason. Plenty of companies tried before them and failed to make much headway, but their booth has gotten crazier and crazier every year at SDCC, impossible to even get near there's so many fans. The exclusives and hard to get versions sell for crazy money, and collectors eat them up. I'm sure they know that won't last, and are looking to take that same business model into another format. It's possible they are right - I've seen an awful lot of buzz for many of the licenses, especially Firefly, Buffy and BTTF. But like I said, I just don't get it.

Then again, I don't get the fascination with the oversized Gentle Giant retro figures either - aren't they just a gimmick, like an oversized pencil? And yet they sell well. Go figure.

Totally agree - regarding Funko - perhaps it's the Beanie Baby phenomena - they're just so darned cute!

As for the retro (these, the oversized GG ones, etc.) - I don't get that at all - the Mego-like seems to be taking off too. Fifteen years ago I would probably have been all over these, but there are too many quality alternatives now.

Totally agree - regarding Funko - perhaps it's the Beanie Baby phenomena - they're just so darned cute!

As for the retro (these, the oversized GG ones, etc.) - I don't get that at all - the Mego-like seems to be taking off too. Fifteen years ago I would probably have been all over these, but there are too many quality alternatives now.

I think there are certain properties that are made for this treatment. Twilight Zone is a great example, because frankly... 6'' gun in a suit with Shatner's head, fully articulated for $20? Is there a huge market for that? I also think Twin Peaks would be awesome for that, too. I think some of the less toyetic properties (Goonies is another good one) are great choices for this treatment. Also, you get a lot of the characters, too.

That's a factor for me as well... years ago when I thought McFarlane and Marvel Legends figures were cool I would have certainly been dropping cash on these. But at some point I just had way too much stuff and had to pair down and prioritize. Anymore for figures, if it isn't actual vintage, or higher-end 1/6 I'm not interested.

Funko's newest releases past ALIEN are horrible- huge oversized upper bodies and head- Kenner figures were never out of proportion that much- Rocketeer was a must have until I saw one in a bookstore- even at $10 I couldn't do it! At least these TZ figures look good proportion-wise!

Back