**Beware SPOILERS** Obi-Wan Kenobi Series on Disney+ **Beware SPOILERS**

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure we can compare visuals between a 45 year old movie to those of today. The OT was state of the art when it came out but that doesn't mean that we have to pretend that they can objectively go toe to toe with what is capable now. And I'm hardly saying that to bash the OT. I still love the aesthetic and charm of the OT visuals but nothing is on the level of realism of say the capital city of Alderaan in Kenobi, the X-Wings chasing the Razor Crest through the clouds on Mando, the Krayt Dragon, and so on, and that's only comparing the OT to these pesky new TV shows.

Obviously SW and ESB as a whole blow away everything that came after but Disney has continued to give us these awesome morsels in each new movie/TV show that exceed certain elements of not only the PT but even the OT which has been a lot of fun to experience IMO.
As you state, Star Wars visuals were state of the art in 1977. Lucas & Co raised the bar so high that no one else could even see the bar back then lol. Ergo, OBK would have had to surpass 2022 state of the art levels (which clearly it does not) in order to even be in the same conversation.

As you state, Star Wars visuals were state of the art in 1977. Lucas & Co raised the bar so high that no one else could even see the bar back then lol. Ergo, OBK would have had to surpass 2022 state of the art levels (which clearly it does not) in order to even be in the same conversation.
I was comparing Star Wars visuals to Star Wars visuals, not Star Wars versus other visual effects that came out that same year so the brand new criteria that you're suddenly interjecting into the conversation is irrelevant to the discussion at hand. :gun

I did think JF made a mistake during the Celebration Mandalorian panel when he said that one of the things he wanted to teach Filoni was to appreciate what the actors are going to bring to the table in bringing his animated characters into live-action and Filoni responded that he already appreciated what the voice actors did to bring those characters to life.

Ouch.

I did think JF made a mistake during the Celebration Mandalorian panel when he said that one of the things he wanted to teach Filoni was to appreciate what the actors are going to bring to the table in bringing his animated characters into live-action and Filoni responded that he already appreciated what the voice actors did to bring those characters to life.

Ouch.
Lol got a timestamp?

Best I could find for now…

56:17

Umm I think Filoni already understands the value of great actors JF :slap

Slap in the face of animated voice actors including Katie who is sitting right there dumb ass doh!

It’s even funnier because JF was literally one of his voice actors in TCW :lol

I was comparing Star Wars visuals to Star Wars visuals, not Star Wars versus other visual effects that came out that same year so the brand new criteria that you're suddenly interjecting into the conversation is irrelevant to the discussion at hand. :gun
Well actually, you're argument that OWK visuals are superior to those of the OT hinges entirely on the superior technology that's available today - without it OWK doesn't hold a candle to the OT. That's not to disparage Chow's work, it's just a fact. People were in awe watching Star Wars for the first time. The ships, the sweeping vistas, the FX - it was on an entirely new level. OK, the sweeping vistas were done by David Lean first, but still...no one I know has been in awe of what they've seen so far on OWK. I'm not saying It hasn't been enjoyable, but I think we need to keep things in perspective.

Much like Robert Rodriguez was the wrong person to helm BOBF and JJ Abrams/Rian Johnson were the wrong people for the ST; I think Deborah Chow is the wrong person for this series.

Sure, she directed 2 really good episodes of The Mandalorian but it helped that the writing was strong and someone else was the captain of the ship as it had to conform to one coherent vision.

And then...

Or Bryce, she's been doing a great job lately.

Chow has actual directing experience to be fair. Outside of Mando, all Bryce Dallas Howard has done is some crappy celeb documentary. I'm not sure she's ready yet. I'm not sure doing an episode of someone else's show is really enough to give any of these guys their own one to be honest.

Well actually, you're argument that OWK visuals are superior to those of the OT hinges entirely on the superior technology that's available today
On the contrary, how OWK compares to other visuals today has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not its visuals are superior to the OT. In no small part because it demands that each viewer somehow have the same viewing experiences outside of SW, which would quite literally change from person to person and isn't remotely measurable.

Case in point: The legions of kids like myself who fell in love with SW in 1977 where SW was the very first or second movie we'd ever seen! You think I was sitting in the theater at 3 years old going damn, this is light years beyond Logan's Run, lol. Or imagine someone else sitting a couple rows back who'd never seen Logan's Run or Planet of the Apes but had seen 2001. They'd be going watch ANH going "meh, I've seen better."

Or are you going to tell me that because ROTJ was only an incremental improvement over ESB in terms of visuals (compared to ANH's quantum leap over Logan's Run) that somehow the ANH space battle was better looking than that DSII battle? Get out of here... ;)

Sure ANH changed the film industry, visual effects, and so on, but it also set a benchmark for visuals just within the SW Saga itself (being the first Episode and all) and I see nothing wrong with calling out and appreciating all the advancements that have been coming with each successive SW entry up to and including OWK.

Last edited:
Back