BESTA love and idea thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't quite grasp what you are planning, but depth, height and width dimensions between Billy and Besta cabinets are completely different. :dunno

Yes and no. I have realized that the Fiskviken/Tombo doors are 64 cm long. The Morliden door is 192 cm long. 64 x 3 = 192 So 3 Fiskviken/Tombo doors = 1 Morliden in length. My idea is to buy 1 Morliden and 1 Fiskviken/Tombo unassemble both and reassemble combination of 192 x 60 (of course add custom glas). Therefore Morliden needs to be the same build as Fiskviken/Tombo that only differs in size. :)

Yes and no. I have realized that the Fiskviken/Tombo doors are 64 cm long. The Morliden door is 192 cm long. 64 x 3 = 192 So 3 Fiskviken/Tombo doors = 1 Morliden in length. My idea is to buy 1 Morliden and 1 Fiskviken/Tombo unassemble both and reassemble combination of 192 x 60 (of course add custom glas). Therefore Morliden needs to be the same build as Fiskviken/Tombo that only differs in size. :)

Well yes, but Besta segments (and doors by extension) are 60 cm wide and Billy are 40 cm. With the different dimensions on the cabinets all of the pre-drilled holes are in different locations too.

But if you can make this work, I am very interested in reading about it.

Well yes, but Besta segments (and doors by extension) are 60 cm wide and Billy are 40 cm. With the different dimensions on the cabinets all of the pre-drilled holes are in different locations too.

But if you can make this work, I am very interested in reading about it.

This is why I want to combine both. Replace the 40 width of Morliden with the 60 with of Tombo. With the latest Billy update holes etc are not in different locations anymore as Billy holes have been adjusted to the Ikea standard. So all the dimensions are now the same between Besta and Billy (except for the width). This is why this mod has become possible. The question is only how difficult it will be to unassemble the two frames and reassemble the mix. :)

I will go to Ikea over the next few days and look deeper into this. Will keep you guys posted. :duff

This is why I want to combine both. Replace the 40 width of Morliden with the 60 with of Tombo. With the latest Billy update holes etc are not in different locations anymore as Billy holes have been adjusted to the Ikea standard. So all the dimensions are now the same between Besta and Billy (except for the width). This is why this mod has become possible. The question is only how difficult it will be to unassemble the two frames and reassemble the mix. :)

I will go to Ikea over the next few days and look deeper into this. Will keep you guys posted. :duff

Wouldn’t be easier to use something like this?
https://www.rockler.com/aluminum-cabinet-door-frames-aluminum-frame-material

General question for people who use Ikea models for their setups: did you get the glass doors from Ikea as well?

img_1314.jpg

What type of Ikea model is this and did you get the glass doors from Ikea as well? And if so, do you have the Ikea product numbers?

Finally, what led strip is this? I am wondering because the standard Besta is 60 cm wide, but the strips are either longer or shorter so they don't fit in the exact 60 cm length of the Besta model.

The doors are called Tombo. Discontinued.
But rereleased with a new name at least in Europe. You could have easily find this out by simply reading a few posts in this thread. Pretty sure, same with the LEDs. Read. ;) :duff

Just in Germany unfortunately, model is called Fishviken.

���� Yes, that's why we rule. ����

I just checked Ikea. Fiskviken is currently reduced to 20€ for the big one and 15€ for the small one. I am going there this or the next week. If anybody wants some, I can post them at the buyers risk. No further costs, shipping wont be cheap though I believe...

Edit:

Just did a quick calculating.

Shipping to US is 150€ for a set of 4. unfortunately. Would have liked to help you guys out.
Shipping in Europe however is only 30€ for a set of 4. With the current discount on 5€ per door you would just pay 110€ for 4, so only 2.50€ above the usual Ikea proce per piece.

Last edited:
Heard a couple negative stories about IKEA shipping but decided to go ahead and make a big order anyway when they started the $50 flat shipping. The delivery date came and IKEA was a no show. Yeah four months later still no product. They have the worst shipping setup imaginable. CS actually gave us the trucking company # because they had no idea where our order was. All the trucking company would tell us after multiple calls and hours on hold was either that they were short on drivers, or that they couldnt even find our order. We finally got an IKEA manager who apologized profusely, found our order, got on the phone with the trucking company for us and set up a delivery date- even gave us his email to make sure everything went smoothly. Delivery date came and went, still no IKEA and the manager isnt answering our emails. We finally got the trucking company manager on the phone of the warehouse in Dallas- according to him, his company will not ship outside of a 75 mile radius outside of dallas. So half the year gone now, our travels are taking us back into the Dallas area. We’re just gonna pick it up ourselves. So much for IKEA shipping lol.

Jesus ****ing christ. I had thought of ordering my things from them online instead of making the hour drive, but as you've just posted, all I read was awful things.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It might not be too bad if theres an IKEA not too far away, i dont know- but then that kind of defeats the purpose. We’re in the Texas panhandle pretty much stuck between the Denver, Dallas, Phoenix and Vegas stores, at least 300ish miles away in about every direction. For us they sucked big. I dont know how a huge international company does business like that. Also cant believe they make the customer call the shipping company themselves. One of the girls on the phone with us said there were a lot more people waiting a lot longer than we had. Go figure.

���� Yes, that's why we rule. ����

I just checked Ikea. Fiskviken is currently reduced to 20€ for the big one and 15€ for the small one. I am going there this or the next week. If anybody wants some, I can post them at the buyers risk. No further costs, shipping wont be cheap though I believe...

Edit:

Just did a quick calculating.

Shipping to US is 150€ for a set of 4. unfortunately. Would have liked to help you guys out.
Shipping in Europe however is only 30€ for a set of 4. With the current discount on 5€ per door you would just pay 110€ for 4, so only 2.50€ above the usual Ikea proce per piece.

Hot damn, that is not bad at all. Too bad I don't have room for more cabinets. :lol

ummm is it me or are the besta cube units discontinued? I was looking online to grab a single 3 stack unit and the cubes are nowhere on the site just the other small shelf units with glass doors. I'm very worried about this, I have mostly premium format pieces and the besta shelves fit them best.

nevermind, their site is terrible to navigate. I found it under "BESTA FRAME" by searching in the box manually. I assume this is what I have in my movie room. I notice though that you have to buy the shelves separate. Uggg what a lousy site.

Has anyone put bestas on their side? I like the horizontal space and having statues next to each other but without anything separating them

That doesn't sound safe... the bestå frame is really unstable without the shelving.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Understood, what options are there for what I'm looking for? Aside from a massive fish tank lol

Back