BESTA love and idea thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
30kg seems like a lot! I once saw a pic with a 3-unit tall Besta and there was a statue/PF on the top shelf. About the same dimensions and weight as the Pred 1:5 statues, and you could see some slight sagging in the middle of the shelf. Those certainly are no where near 30kg.

I was trying to find the load limit of the Stuva as well and I came up with nothing either. But I can tell you that in my Besta, the Batman PF has caused some very slight sagging of the shelf all by himself in less than a year. I'm thinking Ikea might be too generous with their weight limit estimates.

Weight limits/recommendation don't mean a shelf won't sag. But you can leave that sagging shelf alone for 20 years and I'm sure it won't fail.

They stopped producing/selling the Tombo a year ago.
Shame on you Ikea!

The Glassvik is also discontinued but there will be a new range in April.

They stopped producing/selling the Tombo a year ago.
Shame on you Ikea!

The Glassvik is also discontinued but there will be a new range in April.

Really? Do you have info on this?

So the best way is to wait for the refresh then build my Besta I assume, only 1 month away. don't want to build half way and realise I can't get the same doors etc. Maybe the Tombo will come back? Do we know what the refresh looks like?

If rumors of Besta being available without shelves are also true, waiting might also save you some $$. Chances are they reduce the price $10 per shelf, which means $20 cheaper for the typical 3-high many people use (needs only 2 shelves instead of the 4 the units ship with now).

Really? Do you have info on this?

So the best way is to wait for the refresh then build my Besta I assume, only 1 month away. don't want to build half way and realise I can't get the same doors etc. Maybe the Tombo will come back? Do we know what the refresh looks like?

Yup. Definitely best waiting to see what the new range is.
We haven't got a clue until they reveal it. Should only be three weeks now.

Doubt we'll see the Tombo again, I was told they didn't sell very well. Was also told recently that the Glassvik will be back as part of the new range.

Thanks I will wait. Just curious how you know all this? Pretty sure there isn't some Ikea event (like Apple) where they announce new stuff

OK, this might make you cry quite a lot but here you go directly from the IKEA site : BESTA range change - IKEA

Why are we changing the BESTÅ range?

We want BESTÅ to be best for storage across the home and, by making it entirely modern, a speaker for great quality. BESTÅ is designed for TV Media and is modular. This helps you create a storage solution to meet your needs, whether it be in the Living room, Dining room or the Bedroom. You decide what BESTÅ can do for you. BESTÅ is Beautiful, appealing and smart inside and out. For that reason we have improved the quality in several aspects and added more functional pieces into the range

What’s improved?

How is the quality improved?

The quality is improved in several areas:

• The Foil

The edge wrapping has been improved to improve the humidity resistance. The foil is also overall more scratch resistant than before.

• The Hinges

Soft-close function in the hinge. Easier to assemble and adjust. Note! Hinges sold separately from doors with push-open included in the package.

• The Drawers

Easier assembly. Choose between soft-closing and push-open drawer rails. Sold separately. The inside of the drawer is colour coordinated with frames.

• The Legs

The new supporting leg gives stability to the frame/TV-bench, thus fewer visible legs are needed. Connection plate connects two frames with one leg.

• TV-benches

Improved cable management. Glass top with cut-out for cable management

and new 38 and 64cm height sizes.

• The Fittings

The fittings are colour matched to the frame where they are visible. The frames will now come with cover caps to cover visible holes (back panel, hinge holes etc).

• New Suspension rail

For safer and easier wall hanging.

• New Wall fittings

Now adjustable to make it easier to adjust the distance to the wall.

Is the new range compatible with the previous range?

Are the frame sizes different?

The frame sizes are the same, but we have removed some sizes. 120x20x38 and 120x20x64 will be discontinued in APRIL15. They will make way for some new TV-benches to make it easier to plan. You can still achieve this solution by using 60x20x38 and 60x20x64 that will be avalible in the new range.

Are the colours different?

Due to the quality improvements we have made to ensure the surface is more scratch resistant. The new Black-brown is darker than the old version.

The new White is lighter than the old version. Placed side by side, you will see a difference. The new Oak range will replace the White-stained Oak.

Can I use the new drawer units in old frames?

Yes, but you need to combine them with NEW drawer fronts. And only old 26 cm high drawer fronts works with the new 60x15x40 drawer unit.

Can I use old 16 and 26 drawer fronts with new drawer units?

Not 16 cm high, but old 26 cm high drawer fronts work with new 60x15x40 drawer unit.

Can I use new 26 and 38 drawer fronts with old drawer units?

No.

Can I use the new suspension rail with old frames?

No, the suspension rail has been developed for the new frames.

Can I use the old suspension rail with new frames?

No.

Can I hang all frames on the wall?

No, 192 cm and 128 cm high frames should not be hung on the wall.

Can I hang all TV-benches on the wall?

No, the benches that are 64 cm high should not be hung on the wall.

Do 38 cm high TV-benches require suspension rail to hang on the wall?

No. Suspension rail is only for frames/shelving units. Fittings for wall mounting included in 38 cm high TV-bench package.

How many suspension rail required for different size of frames?

Each 60 cm wide frame requires one suspension rail to be able to mount on the wall. 120 cm wide frames require two suspension rails.

Can I use the old drawer units with new frame and TV-benches?

The INREDA drawer units fit in the new frames, and also in the new TV-benches. However, you need old drawer fronts. They do NOT fit with the new doors/drawers.

Can I use old doors in new frames?

Yes, all old doors fit the new frames.

The old VARA doors will not colour match exactly to the new frames, even if the name of the colour is the same.

Can I use new doors in old frames?

Yes, all new doors can be used with old or new hinges.

Can I use new soft closing hinges on all old doors?

All old doors can be used with new soft closing hinges/have their hinges replaced with the new soft closing ones except GLASSVIK.

How many supporting legs are needed for the different frame sizes?

You need one supporting leg for each 120 cm wide frame and two supporting legs for each 180 cm wide TV-bench/frame. They are placed in the middle in order to not use visible legs in the front and back.

Can old legs be used on new frames?

All legs fit to new frames.

Round legs can also be used with the connection plate, but that is not possible for the old square legs. Old wooden leg might collide with cable management on TV-bench if put in the middle.

Can I put the new drawer runners (soft-closing/push-open) on an old unit?

Yes, new drawers and runners can be put in an old frame.

Can I use new shelves in old units?

Yes, but be aware of colour differences.

Can I use the new legs on an old frame?

Almost all new legs can be used. The exception is that the supporting leg cannot be used with the old TV-benches.

This works out ok for me. My plan is for all new shelves across the room from my existing ones so the colors won't matter and they will all get the same doors, whatever those might be.

If still love to hear news about a longer glassvik.

This works out ok for me. My plan is for all new shelves across the room from my existing ones so the colors won't matter and they will all get the same doors, whatever those might be.

If still love to hear news about a longer glassvik.

^ This. I have an unbuilt 75" Besta with no doors waiting to be built.

Back