BESTA love and idea thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Stuva cabinet has more depth, so it will be able to fit slightly deeper statues (or you might be able to place more on a shelf) that won't fit in a Besta. Same height, same width but deeper, if you have no objection to a white colored cabinet: Stuva > Besta.
For huge statues Pax seems to be the only option, but as you probably heard they require modding and seperate acrylic panels (which you have to source elsewhere) to fit doors. Another slight downside, a Pax shelf max weight capacity is 20 kg compared to Besta's 30 kg.

Then again you could get a 2 x 1 or 2 x 2 Stuva/Besta. Fit the 'normal' statues inside and place the larger ones on top.
Regarding price, the doors are the expensive part. The cabinets are cheap (Ikea!). I have seem a couple amazing doorless collections here, nothing wrong with that.

Thank you so much my good man. That cleared up so much headache for me. I don't want to go to the Pax option because it will obviously cost me so much more money and headaches. I want to go with the stuva but so much people question the color. Is black honestly better? I really wanted to get the white shelf with the black glassvik doors. This way the statue is more brighter with the white background and the black glass will define each shelf more. I can be wrong since I haven't seen either in person. The only problem now is the glass for me. I have 2 ikeas that I can drive to but neither have the glass. Damn you ikea for discontinuing the tombo and now possibly the glassvik

[...] I want to go with the stuva but so much people question the color. Is black honestly better? I really wanted to get the white shelf with the black glassvik doors. This way the statue is more brighter with the white background and the black glass will define each shelf more. I can be wrong since I haven't seen either in person. The only problem now is the glass for me. I have 2 ikeas that I can drive to but neither have the glass. Damn you ikea for discontinuing the tombo and now possibly the glassvik

I may be a bit biased because my home is modern with a lot of white furniture, but I prefer a white backdrop for displaying collectibles and toys. I feel like they pop better against a "blank white page".

I've seen a lot of collections much larger than my own displayed against white Bestas or similar and they look very sharp.

Ultimately, choose what you like and don't worry about anyone else.

I may be a bit biased because my home is modern with a lot of white furniture, but I prefer a white backdrop for displaying collectibles and toys. I feel like they pop better against a "blank white page".

I've seen a lot of collections much larger than my own displayed against white Bestas or similar and they look very sharp.

Ultimately, choose what you like and don't worry about anyone else.

I feel the same as you. I'm going to go with the white shelf. Only issue now is the glass.

Black v's White is purely down to personal taste and decor.

I have my display in a room I used for watching movies, not a living space, so I like the darker option.
Statues still stand out with decent lighting.

Has anyone successfully painted a Besta or Stuva frame? I would be very interested in knowing what would evenly apply to the surface of a laminated particle board. If a good method can be devised, black Stuva units would be a possibility!

High volume, low pressure (HVLP) spray will be your best option. I consulted a few professional services when I built the furniture for my home theater and family room, and this is what was universally recommended. Beyond that, there are some paints especially formulated for use on furniture - easier to clean, better adhesion and harder finish. Insl-X Cabinet Coat is one such brand, but there are others.

You could always re-laminate, but that may cost you more than just buying custom cabinets in the color you want.

Black v's White is purely down to personal taste and decor.

I have my display in a room I used for watching movies, not a living space, so I like the darker option.
Statues still stand out with decent lighting.

I too will be placing this into an entertainment room, rather than a living space. I like both colors to be honest with you. It ultimately depends upon which would suit best for displaying big pf's

White can be really bright which may clash with the idea of keeping your movie media room dark.

I have a white besta in one room and a black one in the other. The black looks much classier with doors and lights, but the statues "pop" so much more in the white one. With the black one lights are almost a necessity as you can't see anything in there at night. If I could do it all over again I'd only get white ones.

I just confirmed with an ikea representative that the glassvik doors will be discontinued this april. As of now, there isn't a replacement for it

To be honest that was the attitude I approached the Rep with.
Told her I'd already had to replace all my Tombo and now if I want to expand I'd have to replace all the Glassvik.
She told me not to worry, the whole range is being expanded but the Glassvik will be back as part of a wider range with more options.

Who knows :huh Suppose we will have to wait until April.
Double or triple Glassvik door would be a dream come true.

To be honest that was the attitude I approached the Rep with.
Told her I'd already had to replace all my Tombo and now if I want to expand I'd have to replace all the Glassvik.
She told me not to worry, the whole range is being expanded but the Glassvik will be back as part of a wider range with more options.

Who knows :huh Suppose we will have to wait until April.
Double or triple Glassvik door would be a dream come true.

Man, I'd buy one of those for a dollar!

I just decided that I'm tired of Ikea's ******** and wish they'd bring back Tombo doors.

This x1000!

Just bring back the Tombo, and expand to double and triple length Tombos. Ikea will be raking in the money judging by the amount of statues that are coming out.

Maybe. :lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was told last year that the Tombo was discontinued because it wasn't a big seller.
Suppose it was only the collecting community that bought them. Your average person buying for their living room would be looking for something with a bit more character I suppose.

True, but I would be curious as to how many collectors would be stocking up on them if Ikea reintroduced them again? Especially now when we know how unpredictable Ikea can be? I'd probably jump on it if I wanted to expand my collection in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back