Best Batman Begins Custom Cowl

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just want to see what everyone sees as the pros and cons of the leading contenders in this category. Jaxon Xu, Ben Choi, OT Customs, Unreal, Other…

I think we can do this civilly. Everyone will have their opinion and preferences, and some folks will undoubtedly value certain features over others leading them to like one custom better than another, and that’s all fair game.

Discuss!

Last edited:
OT customs looks the best to me. Paint apps look like a top tier company mass produced them with clean lines, not to mention the functionality of things like the eyes, mouth plates, etc.

My favorite Begins sculpt done by a licensed company is the Enterbay. That’s of course 1/4. As far as 1/6 goes, OT’s looks the most like it and the most authentic to the film representation. In 1/6 scale, I don’t like messing with cape clips, so it’s a plus his are molded on. That’s how it should be in this scale.

Interesting. I admit the switchable mouth plates is a very nice plus.

Anyone have any thoughts about the others? Some seem to swear by Ben Choi and there are a lot of Jaxon fans as well.

Interesting. I admit the switchable mouth plates is a very nice plus.

Anyone have any thoughts about the others? Some seem to swear by Ben Choi and there are a lot of Jaxon fans as well.

Must have missed jaxons Batman begins cowl. Could you please share?

I could be wrong, and maybe it’s just his TDK cowl, but I thought OT’s Begins cowl was also a 3D scan of a real prop used cowl. This would essentially make it the most accurate vs the others who are sculpting based on reference pics.

With that said, any of the other options are an upgrade to the HT sculpt, so you can’t really go wrong IMO.

Just my two cents.

Must have missed jaxons Batman begins cowl. Could you please share?

Here are a few images of Jaxon’s 2.0 Begins cowl. To be clear, I have no dog in this fight, just trying to decide what the best options might be.

Attachments

• 0851E5C3-DED8-45C4-AC37-D871529CBA42.jpeg
    0851E5C3-DED8-45C4-AC37-D871529CBA42.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 4F8A6C2E-8218-4529-8671-F9480762847C.jpeg
    4F8A6C2E-8218-4529-8671-F9480762847C.jpeg
    67.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 719D746F-3ECE-419F-8CD2-390A67839207.jpeg
    719D746F-3ECE-419F-8CD2-390A67839207.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 45829595-4C5F-47E6-AAF6-8FC2389348D1.jpeg
    45829595-4C5F-47E6-AAF6-8FC2389348D1.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 0
  • BFD2B6D6-3EA4-4670-8A7F-577324AE550E.jpeg
    BFD2B6D6-3EA4-4670-8A7F-577324AE550E.jpeg
    66.1 KB · Views: 0
Can we also get some 3/4 view shots, not looking down, crouching , not shot from above or bellow, straight on at 3/4, and preferably with the head attached to an actual figure body to see how they meet, for comparison.

3-batman-begins-suitpchristopher-nolans-batman-begins-took-a_mc4r.620.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fi.cdn.tntdrama.com%2Fassets%2Fimages%2F2019%2F10%2FBatmanBegins-1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:
I hope I’m allowed to weigh in here. If not, mods please delete and forgive me. I like being a member here and can’t entirely separate my personal interest in the hobby and my business.

Both my TDK cowl and my V2 Begins cowl are based on scans of screen used fiberglass mold masters, NOT rubber cowls.

For TDK I was lent a fiber glass master from the production of Rises and had it scanned at a professional studio here locally in Los Angeles. Their laser scanners are accurate to 0.01mm. I made some minor edits to the cowl to account for changes once worn and padded out to look right on screen. I’d say even with those edits what I print is 95%+ identical to the scan. So that cowl wears very true to the master.

For Batman Begins I was given a scan that pre-existed my involvement in the project but I trust my source for it. It’s not something I found online.
Due to the shape of the Begins cowl and it’s one piece construction as well as the type of rubber it was cast in for the film, I think it shifted appearance a lot more from mold master to as worn. I’ve had to make a lot more revisions to it to get it looking like it does on screen. At one point I was considering modding my V1 cowl to be more accurate but decided against it, so the final product will still be truly based on the screen used assets. The first image below is a print of a nearly unchanged scan.

The rest of of the images are my V2.3 prototype with revised facial details and some tweaks to overall proportions. Both are wearing a chin from my old V1 cowl which was a heavily modified Enterbay shrink. For the final product I plan to revise the predominance of the nose, neck length, enhance and retextured the three chin plates, and add a socket that works with the neck adapter for the new figure. The cape clips are my own design and integrated into the cowl.

I won’t comment on the work of anyone else except to say my most well known competitor is selling shrinks of the Enterbay and QS001 cowl and I know they will never volunteer that info so I am sharing it because I think you have a right to know. I’ve stared at all the Hot Toys and screen used cowls long enough to know a scan of an existing sculpt vs something based on the screen used cowls. This competitor also recently started calling their TDK cowl “based on screen used” even though it’s the same sculpt they’ve been selling for years and obviously a shrink of the QS001.

I guess Batman’s not the only one who’ll rattle their cages.

First prototype with mostly unchanged cowl details.
47F04A87-30F3-4C5D-9ED1-5BD2DFC3A4ED.jpeg

V2.3 Prototype with major revisions to capture how the cowl looks when worn. These are all unedited photos and the paint work is up to my standards for a prototype not production.
2ACC6B31-98C0-45DA-BC43-5AAFF5B708BE.jpeg
526489D7-2F70-4DB3-BEE9-CF481D8C02CD.jpeg
A9EDB521-86E0-48BA-87B5-A1CDC6FDA158.jpeg
115CE68F-7E22-4770-ADDE-719D015C2342.jpeg
45A3340E-ED85-4818-B8C7-322D9EA9626B.jpeg

OT > Unreal >>>>>>>> Jaxon/Ben/etc

OT's is the best and I have his TDK Cowl and Begins Cowl on order but I think Unreal also does a really neat alternate stylized version of the Begins cowl + eyes. I like the way he captures Bales squint.

Nothing has come close to OT's TDK cowl though. That cowl will probably remain the best for the foreseeable future, if ever.

veVEqVE.png

View attachment 615051

V2.3 Prototype with major revisions to capture how the cowl looks when worn. These are all unedited photos and the paint work is up to my standards for a prototype not production.
View attachment 615056
Your v2.3 looks incredible. I think the only thing that was throwing the original V2 off for me was his eyes.

I hope I’m allowed to weigh in here. If not, mods please delete and forgive me. I like being a member here and can’t entirely separate my personal interest in the hobby and my business.

Both my TDK cowl and my V2 Begins cowl are based on scans of screen used fiberglass mold masters, NOT rubber cowls.

For TDK I was lent a fiber glass master from the production of Rises and had it scanned at a professional studio here locally in Los Angeles. Their laser scanners are accurate to 0.01mm. I made some minor edits to the cowl to account for changes once worn and padded out to look right on screen. I’d say even with those edits what I print is 95%+ identical to the scan. So that cowl wears very true to the master.

For Batman Begins I was given a scan that pre-existed my involvement in the project but I trust my source for it. It’s not something I found online.
Due to the shape of the Begins cowl and it’s one piece construction as well as the type of rubber it was cast in for the film, I think it shifted appearance a lot more from mold master to as worn. I’ve had to make a lot more revisions to it to get it looking like it does on screen. At one point I was considering modding my V1 cowl to be more accurate but decided against it, so the final product will still be truly based on the screen used assets. The first image below is a print of a nearly unchanged scan.

The rest of of the images are my V2.3 prototype with revised facial details and some tweaks to overall proportions. Both are wearing a chin from my old V1 cowl which was a heavily modified Enterbay shrink. For the final product I plan to revise the predominance of the nose, neck length, enhance and retextured the three chin plates, and add a socket that works with the neck adapter for the new figure. The cape clips are my own design and integrated into the cowl.

I won’t comment on the work of anyone else except to say my most well known competitor is selling shrinks of the Enterbay and QS001 cowl and I know they will never volunteer that info so I am sharing it because I think you have a right to know. I’ve stared at all the Hot Toys and screen used cowls long enough to know a scan of an existing sculpt vs something based on the screen used cowls. This competitor also recently started calling their TDK cowl “based on screen used” even though it’s the same sculpt they’ve been selling for years and obviously a shrink of the QS001.

I guess Batman’s not the only one who’ll rattle their cages.

First prototype with mostly unchanged cowl details.
View attachment 615051

View attachment 615052View attachment 615053View attachment 615054View attachment 615055View attachment 615056
Very nice. When will the V2.3 be available for preorder (approximately)?

OT's obviously the best. But I am not ready to pay the price of the figure to update the figure.
I really hope those unofficial companies will look into providing us with at least a scaled-down Enterbay figure. As they did with T-800.

OT's obviously the best. But I am not ready to pay the price of the figure to update the figure.
I really hope those unofficial companies will look into providing us with at least a scaled-down Enterbay figure. As they did with T-800.
Indeed though I’ve heard that it’s much more expensive to make the rubber molds for the bodies which is why we never see 3rd party companies KOing the Batman figures. That was also the initial reason MarsToys didn’t make their KO of the DX09 they had planned to go along with their DX08 KO and who knows if they will now since HT has teased a reissue of that figure that may never come out.

Last edited:
OT definitely has the best cowls of both Begins and TDK , and he is very honest about his scan sources, all around great work. It is known Jaxon Xu 3d scanned both Enterbay and Hottoys Batman heads and claimed they were his original work. His joker head was also a modified scan of the Prime1 head. I have bought all of his heads and compared to the originals, it is pretty obvious.

Back