Best air brush?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 0.3 procon and a 0.2 Tamiya and they're great. Never owned an Iwata but they're all made in the same factory in Japan so they should be similar in terms of quality.

If you're using purely acrylics you can probably look into Harder & steenbeck, which I read is really good.

At the end of the day, if you're only using it for modeling there's not much difference between the branded and the cheap ebay ones except the smoother trigger action. IMO getting used to the type of paint you use is more important.

I use a gravity fed 'Neo by Iwata', cheap as chips for 45€uro.
Works great, especially for small stuff cos it's got a small nozzle.
However I do wish I spent a bit more on the compressor.

Awesome thread. How's the upkeep and maintenance for one of these things? Does it depend on the type and or brand of paint? It is a pain to clear clogs and whatever?

Awesome thread. How's the upkeep and maintenance for one of these things? Does it depend on the type and or brand of paint? It is a pain to clear clogs and whatever?

Pretty easy maintenance depends on the paint

So Iwata is the way to go ? is badger any good?

I use the Badger Renegade Velocity ($165, [ame="https://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-R1V-Renegade-Velocity/dp/B0013NBQLA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1367267146&sr=8-2&keywords=renegade+airbrush"]$105 at Amazon[/ame]), and I love it. It has a very narrow spray that's good for detail(I hardly have to use masking if I'm careful), but that makes it slow for large coverage areas. It takes me about 5 minutes to clean it out when I'm done.

Update: I just broke the tip on my airbrush (the tiny nozzle inside the spray regulator), but Badger is replacing the part for free.

Last edited:
I also use the Iwatas. I've used a Badger and also a Testors when I first started painting and really love the Iwata. The maintenance and cleanup is so much faster and simpler than the others. Get a good pump because that truly is key to painting at this scale. I used an industrial one bought at a local hardware store when I first started and didn't know better, but get a good pump that can output at a lower PSI since most of the parts at this scale needs very little pressure to paint.

I have a few Iwata's including the HP-CH
and to be honest i can't recommend them as i had nothing but
problems with mine.
I then used a sim air dual action and it was amazing.
But then i bought a Harder & Steenbeck infinity 2in1
and OMG amazing airbrush and so easy to service.
The performance is amazing.

I use an IWATA Eclipse, runs about 200 bucks and works great

Yup. This is a great brush.
You should be able to find it much cheaper than $200 though.
Try d!ck Blicks or Coast Airbrush. I use an HP-CS's which I've been really happy with.

Stay away from the Revolutions though, been very disappointed in those.

Clean it out by running windex, simple green, or airbrush cleaner through it after every session while working the needle gently back and forth to flush any stray paint out. After a heavy week or so of work I'll soak mine overnight in a mix of 1/4 Simple Green to 3/4 water. Take it full apart of course and put all the pieces in there. Then when I put it back together I lube every single piece up good with compressor oil or superlube. It usually takes a little while after that to get back into the swing, but after an hour or so it should be performing like new again.

i have used many air brush's over the years and the best value and one of the best air brushes for modeling is the testor aztek it was but for modeling and has a life time replacement warranty and believe me i dropped mine out of the box and snapped the paint nozzle of the end called them and told them what happened and they sent me out a new one with in a week no questions ask picked mine up on ebay for around 220.00

https://www.testors.com/product/137119/A7778/_/Ultimate_Metal_Airbrush_Set

I use a Sparmax DH-103. Basically a copy of the older Iwata HP-C. I prefer it to my HP-C and it was under $100.

Back