Berserk Collectibles Show Us Some Berserk/Manga Disscussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The BOTH arc? Idk, I liked the character of Guts, but the events and other characters that were happening in the beginning didn't do anything for me. Between snake man, the elf, and bandaged grotesque man, I didn't see the appeal. I looked it up on Berserk wiki, and I don't even think I finished the "Guardians of Desire" arc. That plotline didn't really interest me. I wish it did though, and I may try picking it up again soon.

You really should of started with the Golden Age and went back to the beginning once that's done, since it leaves the whole set up for the rest of the series a secret.

What volume would that be, and why read it out of order? Was the Golden Age originally published first or something?

Miura for whatever reason decided to start the first few chapters in the present, and then send you back to the past for 100 or so chapters, and then gets back on track.

Volume 3 "The Golden Age" is where the Manga should of started.

I might do that. Thanks guys. I don't know, the first two volumes just really dragged for me. Maybe I can get into it more once I know Guts' backstory.

Yeah I actually watched the 1997 anime prior to reading, so I knew the character of Guts already. It does help to experience the Golden Age arc before the first arc. It made me appreciate it more, and now the first arc is actually my favorite. It's so damn good. I Was like Snake Plisken, reading dozens of chapters at a time.

You really should of started with the Golden Age and went back to the beginning once that's done, since it leaves the whole set up for the rest of the series a secret.

I always thought where Berserk started off was perfect as it was. I've read of people skipping the first few volumes and jumping straight to Golden Age, and the fantasy and demonic elements that happen later on come as a big surprise. To me there's less build up and pay off when it comes to anticipating and seeing all the events unfold that were hinted at during those early volumes. I mean from the way Guts was in that arc and his actions, you knew something ****ed up had have to have happened in his past and I don't think many were expecting it to be that bad.

Reading it at the time, I thought what he did to Count - whom I actually sympathised for a bit - was a bit too far even if he was grotesque creature. That feeling completely and utterly shredded by the time the eclipse comes around (that panel has stuck into my mind ever since). I said **** the Count after that. Basically, I experienced many 'Oh, now I understand' moments reading it properly from the beginning and seeing them play out. Golden Age doesn't justify the 'how' but the 'why', and by the end of the Golden Age you fully understand the framework of Guts' character that was touched upon in those early chapters. Having that fed to me in the other way, I just don't think it would have the same emotional impact that I experienced when I started reading this series six years ago.

I might do that. Thanks guys. I don't know, the first two volumes just really dragged for me. Maybe I can get into it more once I know Guts' backstory.

End of volume 3 is the beginning of Guts' backstory. And it is rough as ****. If you get past volume 5 and still don't find enjoyment, then I'm not sure if this series is for you I'm afraid.

Yeah I preordered Guts from BBTS, so I'm thinking it's coming through any day now. Both of those would difficult to spin at the same time lol. But that sword tho... Damn you TZ!

Oh I heard about that. So would you say Guts is prob coming in October? If so, I'll preorder SK ex right now lol.

I have a couple buddies who also couldn't get into Berserk from the first few volumes. Once one of them forced himself to get into the Golden Age Arc, he fell in love with it.

So ThreeA Sent my guts to my old address in Austin. I live in LA now. I even changed my shipping address on the ThreeA website months ago! I'm trying to track it down but man, this is so ****ed!

Oh shot! How did they mess up so badly?? Sorry to hear that man. Can you get contact the people at your old address?

Back