Beloved music scores from films you actually hate.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NnbJYdL.jpg

(ducks)

Love original sketchbook. Magnificent piece of modern music:

Final score - not so much.

I only have any attachment to music from movies I like:dunno
Yeah, it's hard for me to even remember the music at all from movies I don't care about. If I don't like it, I usually watch it once, and try to forget as much about it as possible. But I'm sure there are lots of terrible movies with great scores out there.

Dark Knight Rises, didn't liked the movie but I thought the soundtrack was fantastic.

"Hate" is a strong word ... but the music from Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves was way better than the movie. One of the best scores of all time, on a solidly mediocre movie.

SnakeDoc

Yeah, it's hard for me to even remember the music at all from movies I don't care about. If I don't like it, I usually watch it once, and try to forget as much about it as possible. But I'm sure there are lots of terrible movies with great scores out there.

This. Except the Star Wars Prequels. I've seen those multiple times and own the soundtracks. They're great. Eager to get the TFA soundtrack!

I disagree. I thought the score was great and definitely one of John Williams's better ones as of late. I particularly liked this track, especially starting at 3:22:

Raiders score is definitely the absolute best, followed by Crystal Skull. I thought the LC soundtrack was just okay. I personally found the TOD one to be the weakest. I never liked the main theme for that one.

I honestly can't remember even a single theme from KotCS, maybe because there wasn't one. The best music on that score was the reused stuff from Raiders. Williams did a much better job on War Horse and Tintin.

As for ToD it's such a treasure trove of themes and a blast to listen to from start to finish. It also contains some of the best and most enthusiastic performances of Raiders march ever in my opinion.

There is definitely a "theme" in KotCS, but it's definitely more subtle. It's more creepy and eerie and not bombastic and grand. And that's why I like it much more than LC and TOD. Raiders had the Raiders theme, and that was great (and F me, that truck chase music is all kinds of brilliant). But then TOD and LC added yet another hero/character them and it just started to feel way too "theme-y". I like it when the soundtrack is more about setting mood and accentuating what is on screen. When they get a little too "theme-y" it's like they've gotten too big for their britches and they dominate the scene instead of help it. Sometimes that's fine and appropriate, but sometimes it's way too much.

I think JW got a little heavy handed in the 90s and 2000s, but has recently gotten a little more restrained again. I LOVE his Minority Report and WotW soundtracks. Fantastic.

I didn't like War Horse or TinTin, so I don't remember the soundtracks. I'll have to give them a listen.

While I didn't much care for Tron Legacy, that Daft Punk soundtrack's still in heavy rotation on my iPod almost five years later. Same with M83's Oblivion score (though I did like that movie more). I may not always be impressed by Kosinski's storytelling, but for me he has a terrific ear.

There is definitely a "theme" in KotCS, but it's definitely more subtle. It's more creepy and eerie and not bombastic and grand. And that's why I like it much more than LC and TOD. Raiders had the Raiders theme, and that was great (and F me, that truck chase music is all kinds of brilliant). But then TOD and LC added yet another hero/character them and it just started to feel way too "theme-y". I like it when the soundtrack is more about setting mood and accentuating what is on screen. When they get a little too "theme-y" it's like they've gotten too big for their britches and they dominate the scene instead of help it. Sometimes that's fine and appropriate, but sometimes it's way too much.

I think JW got a little heavy handed in the 90s and 2000s, but has recently gotten a little more restrained again. I LOVE his Minority Report and WotW soundtracks. Fantastic.

I didn't like War Horse or TinTin, so I don't remember the soundtracks. I'll have to give them a listen.

I guess we just have different preferences when it comes to this stuff. I personally love it when music takes over and carries a scene (e.g. Slave Children's Crusade in ToD, The Asteroid Field in ESB or rowing of the Galley Slaves in Ben Hur). It's the sort of approach that is all too rare in modern films, where the tendency is to keep the music in the background and as generic as possible.

I agree that Minority Report and War of the Worlds are good scores though.

Also Raiders had more than just the raiders theme, you also had specific music for Marion and the Ark.

I guess we just have different preferences when it comes to this stuff. I personally love it when music takes over and carries a scene (e.g. Slave Children's Crusade in ToD, The Asteroid Field in ESB or rowing of the Galley Slaves in Ben Hur). It's the sort of approach that is all too rare in modern films, where the tendency is to keep the music in the background and as generic as possible.

I agree that Minority Report and War of the Worlds are good scores though.

Also Raiders had more than just the raiders theme, you also had specific music for Marion and the Ark.

:duff It's all personal preference! I tend to gravitate more towards the more etherial, atmospheric music. But I also love a really dangerous, aggressive, driving soundtrack as well. I agree that Asteroid Field ESB music is fantastic and is a good example. As is the truck chase music I mentioned. You're quite right about Marion's theme and the Ark theme. Both are beautiful.

I don't hate it as much as some people do, but Judge Dredd (1995) is a bad movie with amazing production design and visuals - and a superb score by Alan Silvestri.

Requiem for a Dream - two-ish hours of my life I'll never get back, but damn is that music fantastic.

The Fountain - see above.

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier - legendarily terrible movie, but easily the best score out of all the Trek films.

Alien 3 - seriously, screw that movie. But Goldenthal's music was pretty darn great.

Batman & Robin - I always hated the Goldenthal bat scores growing up, nothing will ever top Elfman's, especially now that it's all just Zimmerred to death (though the Animated Series stuff comes very close). But Lalaland's fantastic Forever release gave me a newfound appreciation for it, and made me go back and really listen to the B&R score, which I always just wrote off as 90% copied and pasted. Turns out that one's really good too, and I wish they LLL could work their magic on it as well. How I wish I could have a better quality recording of the Observatory track...

Back