Beast kingdom Batman review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I wrote this on another board:

I received both the Batman Returns and the Batman (modern suit) from 'The Flash' a couple days ago and had a little bit of time last night to open them up. This isn't a review by any stretch, just my (very) basic observations from a few minutes with them. I've included a couple youtube links below to some reviews, they are not mine but they give you an idea of what you're getting if you want to skip what I have to say.

Batman Returns: This figure both looks outstanding and is also a little frustrating.

The good: The likeness to Keaton is spot on! As bad as the face sculpt for Keaton was on the '89 Batman from Beast Kingdom, this one is a complete 180 in the positive direction. They got his mouth right, the lines around his face, and his eyes. The head is outstanding on this figure. The body is your typical BK body, only 20pts of articulation, but I suppose on a Keaton Batman you don't really need to have much more than that. Wired cape. It looks like the suit from the movie, and if you've been waiting as long as I have for a modern figure from this film then you should be a happy camper. I know I am. Here's hoping they get around to Penguin and Catwoman as well.

The bad: They went with a similar fabric for the cape as the one they used on B89, which is a sort of pleather-y fabric that is going to flake over time. Additionally, there's "too much" of it so it looks funny when you have him standing in a museum pose (it looks good stretched out, though). Due to the fabric of the cape, the cowl sits weird on his shoulders and it creates a gap because of the thickness of the cape. I removed the head/cowl to see if I could adjust the cape, and unlike the Batman 89 figure the cape here is glued on to the figure. I'm thinking a custom cape replacement will be needed for this guy. Additionally, the accessories are all basically the same stuff that came with the 89 figure - the same grapnel gun from the first movie, the same batarang (I'd have liked to see the electronic batarang from the movie instead), same shurikens, same Batmobile remote. No extra heads, no alternate cape. There aren't a lot of video reviews online for these guys, but I found one of each that shows them off a bit. Here's the video for Batman Returns:

Batman (modern suit) - The Flash

The Good: That face sculpt!! Holy Joker, this face sculpt is even better than the one on Returns' figure. It looks like Michael Keaton stepped off the screen of the Flash, jumped into your hand and said "play with me." The wrinkles are in the right spot, his eyes look aged a bit, he just looks wonderful. The suit is also spot-on to the film, as it should be. The cape is a different material from the B89/Returns figures, this one is a thinner fabric that sits on the shoulders much better (still wired). It looks nicer than the faux-leather ones from the other figures, and it does not create a gap between the shoulders and the cowl. Unlike the Returns offering, this cape is removable because the figure comes with an alternate cape accessory - the alternate is molded into a glider-like pose, like you see in the movie. The capes are really easy to swap out, no pegs or clips or anything.

The Bad: the belt sits loose on him, and every time you try to move him the belt starts sliding around. I might take a wee bit of blue tac on the back to keep it in one spot once it goes on my shelf, as it's a little bit annoying having to constantly adjust it. The alternate gliding cape seems a bit thinner than the regular cape, or at least has less material, and looks a little weird on him. The alternate hands match the suit here, but otherwise the accessories are mostly the same as B89 and Returns. Here's a video, not mine:

I had very little time with these guys, but I think they might be some of the nicest Beast Kingdom figures I own (particularly the Keaton Flash version). The comic and movie figures tend to have different qualities, but I'd put these up with the BK Darkseid and the 89 Joker. Ditching the soft goods on these (excluding the capes, of course) was a good call after the fiasco of the 89 Batman. I've very happy to own these!

I wrote this on another board:

I received both the Batman Returns and the Batman (modern suit) from 'The Flash' a couple days ago and had a little bit of time last night to open them up. This isn't a review by any stretch, just my (very) basic observations from a few minutes with them. I've included a couple youtube links below to some reviews, they are not mine but they give you an idea of what you're getting if you want to skip what I have to say.

Batman Returns: This figure both looks outstanding and is also a little frustrating.

The good: The likeness to Keaton is spot on! As bad as the face sculpt for Keaton was on the '89 Batman from Beast Kingdom, this one is a complete 180 in the positive direction. They got his mouth right, the lines around his face, and his eyes. The head is outstanding on this figure. The body is your typical BK body, only 20pts of articulation, but I suppose on a Keaton Batman you don't really need to have much more than that. Wired cape. It looks like the suit from the movie, and if you've been waiting as long as I have for a modern figure from this film then you should be a happy camper. I know I am. Here's hoping they get around to Penguin and Catwoman as well.

The bad: They went with a similar fabric for the cape as the one they used on B89, which is a sort of pleather-y fabric that is going to flake over time. Additionally, there's "too much" of it so it looks funny when you have him standing in a museum pose (it looks good stretched out, though). Due to the fabric of the cape, the cowl sits weird on his shoulders and it creates a gap because of the thickness of the cape. I removed the head/cowl to see if I could adjust the cape, and unlike the Batman 89 figure the cape here is glued on to the figure. I'm thinking a custom cape replacement will be needed for this guy. Additionally, the accessories are all basically the same stuff that came with the 89 figure - the same grapnel gun from the first movie, the same batarang (I'd have liked to see the electronic batarang from the movie instead), same shurikens, same Batmobile remote. No extra heads, no alternate cape. There aren't a lot of video reviews online for these guys, but I found one of each that shows them off a bit. Here's the video for Batman Returns:

Batman (modern suit) - The Flash

The Good: That face sculpt!! Holy Joker, this face sculpt is even better than the one on Returns' figure. It looks like Michael Keaton stepped off the screen of the Flash, jumped into your hand and said "play with me." The wrinkles are in the right spot, his eyes look aged a bit, he just looks wonderful. The suit is also spot-on to the film, as it should be. The cape is a different material from the B89/Returns figures, this one is a thinner fabric that sits on the shoulders much better (still wired). It looks nicer than the faux-leather ones from the other figures, and it does not create a gap between the shoulders and the cowl. Unlike the Returns offering, this cape is removable because the figure comes with an alternate cape accessory - the alternate is molded into a glider-like pose, like you see in the movie. The capes are really easy to swap out, no pegs or clips or anything.

The Bad: the belt sits loose on him, and every time you try to move him the belt starts sliding around. I might take a wee bit of blue tac on the back to keep it in one spot once it goes on my shelf, as it's a little bit annoying having to constantly adjust it. The alternate gliding cape seems a bit thinner than the regular cape, or at least has less material, and looks a little weird on him. The alternate hands match the suit here, but otherwise the accessories are mostly the same as B89 and Returns. Here's a video, not mine:

I had very little time with these guys, but I think they might be some of the nicest Beast Kingdom figures I own (particularly the Keaton Flash version). The comic and movie figures tend to have different qualities, but I'd put these up with the BK Darkseid and the 89 Joker. Ditching the soft goods on these (excluding the capes, of course) was a good call after the fiasco of the 89 Batman. I've very happy to own these!

My video showed what you need to see. Articulation, and the sculpt. That’s what you need to make a buying decision. The previous videos did nothing to really show the figure off. And I don’t really care about any video after mine. I do t sit and play with my figures, so it’s the perfect figure for me to add to my collection. The belt moving is a non issue. The capes are plenty fine on the modern suit.

My video showed what you need to see. Articulation, and the sculpt. That’s what you need to make a buying decision. The previous videos did nothing to really show the figure off. And I don’t really care about any video after mine. I do t sit and play with my figures, so it’s the perfect figure for me to add to my collection. The belt moving is a non issue. The capes are plenty fine on the modern suit.
My bad, I thought this was a discussion thread for the figure. I didn't realize it was a thread for you to talk at a wall for our enjoyment lol This was my first post here, and I guess that will also be the last :wave

Back