be careful selling stuff on Ebay or even selling using Paypal

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't get it. Isn't it your job to take this up with the post office and lodge a claim ?

If it clearly shows no their own system that they have lost it (that it never made it to buyers home and there is no signature proof it was delivered), then won't the Post Office refund you ?

Depends on what service he used and the declared value.
Most services, here in the U.K, offer basic compensation which needs to be extended if that's not enough for the value of the item.
Basically you can only claim the value of the items insurance payed for.

It's pretty obvious if you don't insure a package and it gets lost you will not get refunded. PayPal always sides with the buyer anyway. They offer 'buyer protection' not a postal insurance service. Did you expect the buyer to just walk away?
If someone isn't prepared to pay extra for insurance don't sell to them.

This. Insurance is 2 or 3 bucks typically, well worth it.

well, you should have let buyer choose the shipping option and states unless insurance or express mail has been selected buyer to bear the responsibility of item lost in post.

unless you offered free postage in which the liability is bound by you as you will be the one choosing which service to use.

also you should call up the post office and check since you have at least a tracking number.

well, you should have let buyer choose the shipping option and states unless insurance or express mail has been selected buyer to bear the responsibility of item lost in post.

unless you offered free postage in which the liability is bound by you as you will be the one choosing which service to use.

This is a common mistake made by Sellers, putting a 'disclaimer' into your ad has absolutely no legal basis, if it contravenes established Consumer law.. in the UK, that is the Distance Selling regulations. A disclaimer does not allow you to contravene those regulations and this is why eBay will in nearly all cases side with the Buyer.. basically, because it would be illegal for them not to.

The classic example of this used to be shops that had signs stating they didn't offer refunds, hoping that their customers didn't know this is illegal under Consumer law, if the product is faulty, not fit for purpose or damaged and the customer has proof of purchase.
It is still quite common to see this same 'no refunds' disclaimer on eBay ads and it still has no legal basis.. unless the product is clearly stated as being faulty ie. 'selling for parts or repair'.

well if buyer insist on using non-insured postage, how would a seller be responsible should the shipment got lost during post? i'm not familiar with UK distance selling law but does it state no matter under what condition that if an item did not arrive, it's seller's liability, and even if there's black & white proof stating buyer opt-out for insurance and agreement has been made?

even if item did arrive if the item was sent via non-recorded/signed/tracking for the buyer can still claim that item did not arrive.

that is why i always specify at least registered signed for, unless seller provides free shipping then i'd give seller the full responsibility should item got lost.

well if buyer insist on using non-insured postage, how would a seller be responsible should the shipment got lost during post? i'm not familiar with UK distance selling law but does it state no matter under what condition that if an item did not arrive, it's seller's liability, and even if there's black & white proof stating buyer opt-out for insurance and agreement has been made?

even if item did arrive if the item was sent via non-recorded/signed/tracking for the buyer can still claim that item did not arrive.

that is why i always specify at least registered signed for, unless seller provides free shipping then i'd give seller the full responsibility should item got lost.

Basically under UK Distance Selling law, it is the Seller''s responsibility to ensure the item reaches the customer and that it is undamaged on arrival. This is why in the event of damage to a parcel in transit, the legal contract for UK insurance purposes, is between the courier and the Seller, not the Buyer. Do not let Sellers try to tell you otherwise.

A lot of the UK Distance Selling law was originally formulated to protect consumers from unscrupulous scamming by Sellers, in the days of Mail Order catalogues and Newspaper ads.
In fact most Consumer law has resulted from unscrupulous Selling.. that is why the playing field is tilted in favor of the Consumer.. while there certainly are unscrupulous, scamming Buyers, they have tended to be in the minority.. Sellers should look on the costs of doing business as exactly that, the cost of doing business.. and I say that as a Buyer and (less frequently) a Seller.

If you cannot make a profit from a business model or it leaves you open to scammers, then you need to amend the business model.. or accept that your Selling is recouping some of your collecting costs but not expected to turn a profit.. either way, you should protect your goods with insurance and tracking, if they are of a value you do not wish to gamble.. lets face it, regardless of the integrity of your Buyer, Courier companies can be less than diligent / gentle in their handling of parcels.

Its probably worth re-posting this link advising on how to protect yourself from unscrupulous Buyers, that has been posted before on the forum -
https://community.ebay.com/t5/The-Front-Porch/SCAMS-committed-by-eBay-buyers/td-p/2662626

Depends on what service he used and the declared value.
Most services, here in the U.K, offer basic compensation which needs to be extended if that's not enough for the value of the item.
Basically you can only claim the value of the items insurance payed for.

If you cannot make a profit from a business model or it leaves you open to scammers, then you need to amend the business model.. or accept that your Selling is recouping some of your collecting costs but not expected to turn a profit.. either way, you should protect your goods with insurance and tracking, if they are of a value you do not wish to gamble.. lets face it, regardless of the integrity of your Buyer, Courier companies can be less than diligent / gentle in their handling of parcels.

Its probably worth re-posting this link advising on how to protect yourself from unscrupulous Buyers, that has been posted before on the forum -
https://community.ebay.com/t5/The-Front-Porch/SCAMS-committed-by-eBay-buyers/td-p/2662626

Insurance is maybe useful for lost items by the PO/courier (although tracking generally makes that hard to do as I am sure we can agree), but on a side note many people don't realise that if a statue is damaged and IS FULLY insured, most couriers do not cover the damage still as these items are often under there well publicised (lol not :mad:) exclusion criteria (I cant say all as haven't gone through every couriers exclusion policy). I have been personally caught after spending an extra non refundable £30 ($50) on insurance for a SS spiderman vs hulk dio (parcelforce) and another pf to europe. Net result: NOTHING back except the broken statue that I had to refund out of my pocket. So I go for good packing and high expense 24 hr tracked post (to minimise the down time in a warehouse) with no insurance (a gamble as only loss is covered generally) or pick up only now (for grails ie I changed my business model). I would suggest all of us check the excluded items list on mail insurance next time we post. they are often hard to find but here are examples:

Parcel2go https://www.parcel2go.com/shipping-items.aspx#unins

i.e as I found out NO COVER for statues despite payment of insurance

and

https://www.parcelforce.com/help-in...unds-and-claims/items-we-exclude-compensation

Parcelforce here in the UK seems better (probably why its more expensive) but it doesn't cover art (I deal in comic art) and collectibles seem to be covered but I think they will want to pay RRP (not much good if you sell a Doom PF)

Hope that helps...or depresses lol

Last edited:
Explicitly writing FRAGILE HANDLE WITH CARE & pointing which side up may help abit.

it does help, unless the guy handling the items has some sort of mental imbalance that want to destroy shipment items just for fun/revenge.

i know people who spit in foods they sell in fast food chains just for the lulz. sick folks.

Maybe the postal worker was a collector and kept it. SS puts all the info of the item on the brown shipper.

Back