Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 24th, 2016)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw this today and I really enjoyed it. I thought the interactions between the characters are well done, and what you would expect from the comics. The relationship between Clark and Lois, as well as Bruce and Alfred are done quite well. Honestly, if you're a fan of the comics, you will likely enjoy the movie.

There are some issues with pacing (Some things could have been allowed to breathe a bit) and such, but I didn't feel it took away from understanding the plot. There are loads of movies out there that have been better received by critics that have worse issues with pacing and editing.

The movie is quite thematically ambitious compared to usual comic book movie fair. But these themes aren't alien to the realm of DC comics and have been brought up in various story archs in the comics/ animated films in different permutations. We now get to see them on the big screen where we are presented with a realistic world in BVS dealing with the aftermath of MOS. Superman is placed into a position of having to justify himself due to numerous forces against him. We have a Batman who has lost hope in humanity and is totally cynical...By the end, I think his arch was handled quite well. I love the Nolan Batman movies, but this Batman is the most accurate to the comics yet and the way he moves and the way he fights is awesome.

Wonder Woman was also done really well and I'm looking forward to seeing Wonder Woman in future movies.

I really enjoyed Lex Luthor as well. Yeah he's handled a little differently, but again his reasons/ motivations and the way he acts overall has been lifted from right out of the comics. You won't find any spiels about land here.

It's a 4/5 to me. I understand that people might not like a more mature take, but I appreciate it when movies don't need to coddle or talk down to their audience. I enjoyed the hell out of movies like Robocop, Total Recall and Burton's Batman in the 90's so I don't understand the concerns for tonally dark movies and having kids exposed to such movies.

At the very least it's a 3/5. A solid movie.

I have a feeling what to expect from Snyder / Cavill......those who seen it how is Batfleck?

It was very obvious to me at least that Cavill was gonna be horrible in this, every shot in the trailers had him grimacing and frowning rather unrealistically. So no surprises there, he is awful in this.

Batman is the best thing in this movie. But that's a relative statement.
Honestly I wasn't terribly impressed with Affleck either, and I was one of the people who was delighted when he took the role. So I was taken aback by that a bit. It's just all too much. Fake, plastic hardness. Trying to be waaaaay too cool, in every single ****ing shot.
If this was a stand alone Batman movie I would still be disappointed with him in the bat shoes. probably not totally Affleck's fault and I would still kill to see him in a solo movie with a very different directorial style.

Having said that it's very hard to untangle what works and what doesn't in the movie, on one viewing anyway, it's a bowl of spaghetti.
I find it very funny that some people are equating dark/dry and sombre as a mature, adult take on the material, it's quite the opposite. this is NOT what Nolan did with TDK trilogy. This is like a video game that strives to have depth by making everything overly dramatic, it comes across as very silly. Some of it actually feels like cut-scenes between levels.
It strives to take itself seriously, but in a hamfisted teenage angst kind of way. Terrible *profound* dialogue and imagery. It makes the whole thing stilted and cheesy.
Honestly it would have been better if it had gone full retard and embraced the craziness of it all.

I will stand by what I said originally though, I liked it, it was a very *interesting* cinema experience, I didn't find it boring, better than MOS for me. And I will watch the 18rated Blu-ray later in the year. But this is not a good movie by any stretch.

Last edited:
how long is the batman superman fight? is it really like 5 minutes? (or is that a troll answer )

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

The fight length is what needed.
What must happen happen and you won't feel frustrated.
Really not an issue.

I find it very funny that some people are equating dark/dry and sombre as a mature, adult take on the material, it's quite the opposite. this is NOT what Nolan did with TDK trilogy. This is like a video game that strives to have depth by making everything overly dramatic, it comes across as very silly. Some of it actually feels like cut-scenes between levels.
It strives to take itself seriously, but in a hamfisted teenage angst kind of way. Terrible *profound* dialogue and imagery. It makes the whole thing stilted and cheesy.

I'm not comparing it to the TDK Trilogy. I think the way the material is handled is quite similar to the comics whereas TDK Trilogy will always be it's own separate thing. There is cheese, but that's inherent to the source material and the medium as a whole. The movie doesn't shy away from the consequences of the characters actions and having them deal with it. Treatment of Superman as a god-like figure, who at the end of the day faces very real and personal issues, questioning himself over his failings and wondering whether the world needs him isn't alien to the comics.

Whereas with Marvel movies, they would seemingly do anything in there power to negate the conflict as they arise.

If anyone is thinking about seeing it, I suggest they make up their own mind. If I had to compare it to another comic book movie, it would be Watchmen. If you have seen MOS and Watchmen, you have a good idea of what to expect.

Last edited:
yeah but 5 minutes in a 2 hour movie... that sounds terrible

even alien vs predator had longer fights :lol

olbert is right though. Even in the TDKR animated movie, it wasn't that long, and they didn't have a team up right afterward. There's a good amount of Batman action beats. On the Superman side of things, the movie gives more screen time to Lois and Clark.

Last edited:
olbert is right though. Even in the TDKR animated movie, it wasn't that long, and they didn't have a team up right afterward.

yeah but being a cartoon you kind of give it a pass, (And the buildup is different) besides they have been selling the whole VS for 3 years now and it is shorter than the fight in avp lol

I was surprised by how short the fight was... it also seemed extremely one sided. I think it was more of a pro than a con, it was fast and to the point and intense. I was expecting an overlong cgi beat em up for the fight. Nothing like AvP or Freddy Vs Jason ( in terms of the versus), the title of the movie is misleading.

you reminded me of freddy vs jason

they fight twice and both fights end up being like 25 minutes together..(And it was awesome)

I wasn't expecting a very long fight but 5 minutes from a 2 hour movie sounds dreadful.

yeah but being a cartoon you kind of give it a pass, (And the buildup is different) besides they have been selling the whole VS for 3 years now and it is shorter than the fight in avp lol

In two parts, TDKR is a full length summer film. lol.

Honestly, I don't like fights that go on for too long. I'm reminded of some of the action sequences in Matrix Reloaded that went on for way too long. I don't understand how people can appreciate the last two matrix movies with how long things were drawn out for.

I wouldn't say the fight is one sided, but it is in keeping with the characters demeanors when they fight in the comics.

Last edited:
oh I WILL

But not paying for it in theaters, at least not any time soon
I was planning to catch it this weekend but i wont bother at all now... no way... im not going to spend money just to rage. that last video review just closed the deal for me

So instead you're just going to read spoilers and complain about every detail of a movie you haven't seen?

Internetz logic. :lol

I'm not comparing it to the TDK Trilogy. I think the way the material is handled is quite similar to the comics whereas TDK Trilogy will always be it's own separate thing. There is cheese, but that's inherent to the source material and the medium as a whole. The movie doesn't shy away from the consequences of the characters actions and having them deal with it. Treatment of Superman as a god-like figure, who at the end of the day faces very real and personal issues, questioning himself over his failings and wondering whether the world needs him isn't alien to the comics.

Whereas with Marvel movies, they would seemingly do anything in there power to negate the conflict as they arise.

If anyone is thinking about seeing it, I suggest they make up their own mind. If I had to compare it to another comic book movie, it would be Watchmen. If you have seen MOS and Watchmen, you have a good idea of what to expect.

Nah, Watchmen was smart. The mix of comic book style, juxtapositions against the violence and brilliant source writing.

So instead you're just going to read spoilers and complain about every detail of a movie you haven't seen?

Internetz logic. :lol

thats stupid, i havent really complained hard about anything, Ive asked questions and laughed at what i am seeing. cant fully complain about something i didnt see.

(Every detail) do you hear how stupid that sounds? do you really? the 5 minute fight SOUNDS bad. all the trailers are about those two fighting, you are just exaggerating, having worries about a 5 minute fight is not "Complaining about every single detail" thats idiotic.

Back