Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 24th, 2016)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Trunks/undies are a color and an aesthetic too. They help break up the suit and make the belt pop.

There's a reason Superman before New 52 and MoS barely changed decade after decade, head to toe he was/is an icon, undies and all. Batman is more about appearance than most superheroes anyway. For 50 years his little glove wings had no purpose. Then in 1989, the the film made them gauntlets with blades for fighting purposes. They didn't have to do that though because those fins are synonymous with the character, just like the cape, just like the underwear, just like that yellow/gold utility belt (which makes no sense either). Why the **** did Superman have a belt? Why do the movies try to kind of, sort of translate them anyway. Because they're synonymous with the character.

Personally, I have no strong opinion on the matter, undies, no undies. I do think they work and look good though. It doesn't matter if they "make sense". Capes don't make sense, a cowl that destroys your peripheral vision or exposes your distinctive mouth and chin don't make sense. A shiny metallic belt doesn't make sense. If those things can still exist, then I don't see why underwear on the outside can't. It only looks ridiculous if it's pointed out, but then the very nature of a comic book superhero is ridiculous so . . .

Why does Superman have an a curl and wear a cape? Because he wants to. Why does Batman put ****ing bat logos on his paraphernalia and wear underwear outside of his pants? Because he wants to. The end.

Last edited:

It has a lot to do with the source and where it is on the ladder of art. Comics are generally considered to be pretty low on the list of what is considered art. To add to your point

Sent from the Cockpit of the Millenium Falcon

That's what I meant. I have nothing against comic book movies, hell, it's what we all love here.

But the academy usually goes for other types, specially those with the very sad beginning and sad endings when everything goes to hell.

but then the very nature of a comic book superhero is ridiculous so . . .

And that's probably why we'll never see a superhero film get an Oscar nomination, even though a film and a comic are two different things and one should not limit the other creatively, or their quality.

That said, there have been only three movies even remotely worthy of consideration for Best Picture, and they were all about a dude in a bat suit and directed by Christopher Nolan. Nothing on the horizon seems like it will challenge that either. Marvel Studios, Fox and Sony with their take on Marvel characters preclude any future consideration while they continue to follow their current templates.

Forrest Gump had a ridiculous premise and won. I think there is a definite scenario where I can imagine a comic movie winning best Oscar, but to do so it would have to follow certain conventions for movies that typically win that award. Some weighty dramatic undertones is usually a requisite, though there are exceptions (the Artist comes to mind). They also shouldn't make themselves appear to be so much of a mass crowd attracting action film, because the Oscars cares about "appearance," but considering that these movies are targeting teenage boys as much as anything else, that's not going to happen anytime soon. I do think the Dark Knight was the closest we've seen to a comic movie that approaches the Oscar template (putting aside something like A History of Violence, which wasn't a traditional comic book).

Trunks/undies are a color and an aesthetic too. They help break up the suit
They can do that with just the belt.

There's a reason Superman before New 52 and MoS barely changed for decade after decade, head to toe he was/is an icon, undies and all. Batman is more about appearance than most superheroes anyway. For 50 years his little glove wings had no purpose. Then in 1989, the the film made them gauntlets with blades for fighting purposes. They didn't have to do that though because those fins are synonymous with the character, just like the cape, just like the underwear, just like that yellow/gold utility belt (which makes no sense either). Why the **** did Superman have a belt? Why do the movies try to kind of, sort of translate them anyway. Because they're synonymous with the character.

Exactly, they seldom changed over the years, that's why people have a hard time letting go, not because they are synonymous of the characters, the spiky gauntlets, that's synonymous of Batman, the red cape, that's very much synonymous of Superman, the briefs are not synonymous of neither.

Personally, I have no strong opinion on the matter, undies, no undies. I do think they work and look good though. It doesn't matter if they "make sense". Capes don't make sense, a cowl that destroys your peripheral vision or exposes your distinctive mouth and chin don't make sense. A shiny metallic belt doesn't make sense. If those things can still exist, then I don't see why underwear on the outside can't. It only looks ridiculous if it's pointed out, but then the very nature of a comic book superhero is ridiculous so . . .

I think it does matter very much if it makes sense, capes do make sense at least for Superman and Batman, and a cowl shouldn't obstruct his peripheral vision, does Cap's helmet obstruct his peripheral vision? Don't think so, looks pretty utilitarian to me, just add the ears, which serve an aesthetic reason since it's the Bat motif and you have Batman's cowl, why wouldn't a metallic belt make sense?

Those things still exist because they do make sense.

And yes, comicbooks are ridiculous but they have to follow an internal logic, or we might as well give Batman a tutu :lol

Why does Superman have an a curl and wear a cape? Because he wants to. Why does Batman put ****ing bat logos on his periphanalia and wear underwear outside of his pants? Because he wants to. The end.

Every time Superman's hair gets a little messy, so happens that a little curl shapes up on his forehead, and his cape, people used capes on Krypton and it was the blanket he was wrapped up him with.

Bats are Batman's motif.

You see how everything has a point? Except briefs.

They were good for their time and I still love the designs, in fact, Frank Quitely's and Ross' Superman are my favorite styles, WAAAY over the new 52, but I accept that it's time for the briefs to go.

Last edited:

I thought Road to Perdition was a very good comic book film.

As far as the Superman underwear goes, maybe it has something to do with not looking cool. Maybe that's why a lot of people don't like the underwear? Maybe it has nothing to do with practicality.

Nick Fury wears an eye-patch...in the 21 century, yet no one ever asks, why would someone wear an eye patch? There's no reason for anyone to wear one in 2014, but no one says anything because it looks "cool." In fact, there was never really a reason for Fury to wear an eye patch, but they gave him one because it was a cool look/style. Maybe that's why Superman's undies don't get too much love, he looks "cooler" without them.

hmmmmm ...... 123.png

I thought Road to Perdition was a very good comic book film.

As far as the Superman underwear goes, maybe it has something to do with not looking cool. Maybe that's why a lot of people don't like the underwear? Maybe it has nothing to do with practicality.

Nick Fury wears an eye-patch...in the 21 century, yet no one ever asks, why would someone wear an eye patch? There's no reason for anyone to wear one in 2014, but no one says anything because it looks "cool." In fact, there was never really a reason for Fury to wear an eye patch, but they gave him one because it was a cool look/style. Maybe that's why Superman's undies don't get too much love, he looks "cooler" without them.

Well, the mere fact that he has a funky eye is enough reason for him to wear a patch.

If they made undies be a traditional kryptonian clothing piece or something, I think people would re-adopt them.

But having undies when they don't have a reason to be, would be like making superman wear bunny ears just for the sake of it, but, we'd have to accept that because "comics" :lol

Last edited:

If you have to explain or otherwise rationalize a comic-based costume, you've already lost… What works in an illustration doesn't necessarily translate to reality, nor does convention from one era carry over well to another. My POV is that many of the costumes in comic books, certainly the ones primarily being discussed here, just look absolutely stupid and completely out of place today. No back-story or arm-chair theory is going to change that.

Begins and TDKR are far from best picture material. I love Begins, but it's last hour and a half is as by the numbers and comics booky as they come.

And no best picture would contain razzie deserving performances like Bane or Talia.

Yeah, MoS supes looks naked without them to me.

Batman can get away with it when he's all black (or silver and blue with Schumacher), but MoS Superman really doesn't with the blue "skin". It looks like he's running around in a onsie and the red boots make it even stranger. I thought the concept art for the film with the trunks looked exceptionally better. Zach Snyder heavily considered them too.

Snyder actually wanted the red trunks, so we can't blame him or his vision.

"The costume was a big deal for me, and we played around for a long time. I tried like crazy to keep the red briefs on him. Everyone else said, ‘You can't have the briefs on him.' I looked at probably 1,500 versions of the costumes with the briefs on. If you look at the costume, it's very modern, but the relationship to the original costume is strong." - Snyder

Yeah, MoS supes looks naked without them to me.

Batman can get away with it when he's all black (or silver and blue with Schumacher), but MoS Superman really doesn't with the blue "skin". It looks like he's running around in a onsie and the red boots make it even stranger. I thought the concept art for the film with the trunks looked exceptionally better. Zach Snyder heavily considered them too.

That was in fact another of my thoughts - if you're getting rid of the briefs on account of them looking silly why do the the red booties get a pass? As you say, the onesie and boots, that's a little silly looking too.

Oh and you know what Snyder also apparently heavily considered? Using the Williams theme. Nolan put the boot to that of course. Not gritty enough for the new Superman world which isn't allowed to have anything to do with his gritty Batman world for some reason.

Yup. Good on him (Snyder), too bad he couldn't get it through. I know I give him crap as a director for MoS, but I bet a lot of things were out of his hands in terms of control.

If Batman is grey and black/grey and blue, he'll look pretty strange without trunks in my opinion.

Back