Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 24th, 2016)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Someone wearing underwear over lycra tights just looks silly - and a natural reaction for anyone seeing someone else dressed like that would be - WTF? Followed by laughter.

It's all about presentation. If we had a dramatic actor in a serious Batman film along the lines of BTAS Batman or Dark Knight Returns Batman, I guarantee nobody would think twice about his undies. There would be criticism when the pics debuted in a magazine or online, but once we saw it lit specifically and with a certain cinematography? I doubt people would laugh. It hasn't been done, so we can't say for sure whether or not it could work in the right hands.

And lets face it, the 8 live action rubber suits we've seen are silly in their own right, even without nipples or "bra armor".

I really don't wanna see this movie, but every little Batman related news are sooooo tasty...

I would love it if they were actually filming two movies and had everyone fooled about all these other characters making an appearance in what some people thought would be a MoS sequel. ;)

It's all about presentation. If we had a dramatic actor in a serious Batman film along the lines of BTAS Batman or Dark Knight Returns Batman, I guarantee nobody would think twice about his undies. There would be criticism when the pics debuted in a magazine or online, but once we saw it lit specifically and with a certain cinematography? I doubt people would laugh. It hasn't been done, so we can't say for sure whether or not it could work in the right hands.

And lets face it, the 8 live action rubber suits we've seen are silly in their own right, even without nipples or "bra armor".
:goodpost: :lecture

Casuals laughed after hearing names like Captain America and Red Skull before the film was released.
And the same crowd cheered for the change of Spider-suit in recent attempt.

Same with the capes. And colorful outfits. And animal themed ears on helmets/masks. And spandex, or leather (even black leather) jumpsuits in general. etc. There is no honest threshold where one of these things makes sense and the others don't. You suspend disbelief on this order the minute you walk into the theater to watch comic book characters fighting evil villains. It's a stylistic choice, fine. But let's not try to argue that the undies are the one thing pushing this over into the realm of unbelievable silliness.
Exactly mate.. exactly.

Sometimes there is a last straw. A wafer thin mint that just makes everything go pop.

A movie is not a comic book - what works in one does not necessarily work in the other. You have to adapt to the medium you're working with.

I will eat that wafer thin mint anytime..

Yeah - what is realism, but merely the denial of the source material? :lol

Discuss.. :monkey3
Exactly this.

Same with the capes. And colorful outfits. And animal themed ears on helmets/masks. And spandex, or leather (even black leather) jumpsuits in general. etc. There is no honest threshold where one of these things makes sense and the others don't. You suspend disbelief on this order the minute you walk into the theater to watch comic book characters fighting evil villains. It's a stylistic choice, fine. But let's not try to argue that the undies are the one thing pushing this over into the realm of unbelievable silliness.

..and this.

Exactly.

[video]https://screen.yahoo.com/ambiguously-gay-duo-live-000000870.html[/video]

jimmy-fallon-jon-hamm-ambiguously-gay-duo.jpg

I'm not particularly opposed to more classic costumes ... but, I've never understood the 'comic superheroes are inherently ridiculous, so no stupidity should be ruled-out' argument. Some silliness is more palatable than others.

SnakeDoc

Can we move beyond the costuming and onto the stupidity of the Clark Kent Daily Planet Reporter "secret" identity now?

And it has generated an excellent few pages of people saying things I agree with. I enjoyed it.

Exactly. You know what another issue is, though? None of the crimes, or villains, or motivations or abilities of the protagonists, or even situations in general are "realistic" enough in comic movies. Or really, in any movies or TV shows at all. I want to follow a real detective around for 2 hours in "real" time. You know, a guy sitting at his desk, probably filling out paperwork for some mundane convenience store robbery. Drinking coffee, maybe he'll use the toilet or engage in some banal chit-chat. "Real." Let's get it done, Snyder.

Holy crap I laughed my ass off reading this.

You don't know just how accurate you are with this. :lol

Man, once DiFabio retires from lolcat city, Kara will be the man to fill those big clown shoes. :lol

Exactly. You know what another issue is, though? None of the crimes, or villains, or motivations or abilities of the protagonists, or even situations in general are "realistic" enough in comic movies. Or really, in any movies or TV shows at all. I want to follow a real detective around for 2 hours in "real" time. You know, a guy sitting at his desk, probably filling out paperwork for some mundane convenience store robbery. Drinking coffee, maybe he'll use the toilet or engage in some banal chit-chat. "Real." Let's get it done, Snyder.

ydknjck-bg.jpg

SnakeDoc

The red underwear is pointless. Does it add anything to the character? Not really. Is he a different character without them? No. He still wearing the cape and the blue costume and has the big emblem on his chest. He still looks like Superman....If anything Cavill looks more like Superman than any other actor so far,imo. He still an Alien and a farm boy from Kansas, so who cares if he doesn't have the silly underwear?

It's not like people are going to mistake him for Batman,Flash or some other character,"No, that's not Superman. I don't know who that guy is, but it's not superman because he wears his tiny red underwear outside his suit!! So that can't be Superman" :lol

The red underwear is pointless. Does it add anything to the character? Not really. Is he a different character without them? No. He still wearing the cape and the blue costume and has the big emblem on his chest. He still looks like Superman....If anything Cavill looks more like Superman than any other actor so far,imo. He still an Alien and a farm boy from Kansas, so who cares if he doesn't have the silly underwear?

It's not like people are going to mistake him for Batman,Flash or some other character,"No, that's not Superman. I don't know who that guy is, but it's not superman because he wears his tiny red underwear outside his suit!! So that can't be Superman" :lol

But does he look bad with them? No.

Reeve was the epitome of Superman and looked the part even in the crappiest movies. Just look at the screen tests/auditions from 1977. Everyone looks ridiculous. In the actual film though? Reeve looks like he stepped out of the comics and you don't notice the underwear, everything works. It took a special sort of acting magic to walk around in that thing and pull it off, and he did.

Back