Back in the game, and fellow collecting strategies!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello fellow collectors, after selling off my collection years ago I am back in the game of hot toys collecting as a 31 year old Married Dad, this means I have to be picky with my purchases. So I have come up with a few rules considering I am a teacher in NC, and only have a limited disposable income. Lucky for me I held on to my IKEA lit Detolf so I have a nice display!

So here are my rules:

1. Use sideshow payment plans

2. Unless there is extreme circumstances only have one payment plan in progress per month! (For example I have the Die-Cast Mark 5 set up for payment plans in April, May, and June before the JL Wonder Woman payment plan kicks in this July!)

3. Try to collect my definitive version of the characters! (For example Ledger Joker is my Joker, so despite how awesome a Leto Joker may look I would not buy multiple incarnations of the Joker.)

4. Do try to back catalog, only collect what is available to me in the current market.

5. Only use Sideshow and Big Bad Toy Store, not ebay!

6. No Star Wars Hot Toys, it's too much! LOL

So with all that being said, I would love to hear strategies from fellow Hot Toys collectors who have learned how to collect reasonably!

Thanks, and glad to be back!-Brad

Hello fellow collectors, after selling off my collection years ago I am back in the game of hot toys collecting as a 31 year old Married Dad, this means I have to be picky with my purchases. So I have come up with a few rules considering I am a teacher in NC, and only have a limited disposable income. Lucky for me I held on to my IKEA lit Detolf so I have a nice display!

So here are my rules:

1. Use sideshow payment plans

2. Unless there is extreme circumstances only have one payment plan in progress per month! (For example I have the Die-Cast Mark 5 set up for payment plans in April, May, and June before the JL Wonder Woman payment plan kicks in this July!)

3. Try to collect my definitive version of the characters! (For example Ledger Joker is my Joker, so despite how awesome a Leto Joker may look I would not buy multiple incarnations of the Joker.)

4. Do try to back catalog, only collect what is available to me in the current market.

5. Only use Sideshow and Big Bad Toy Store, not ebay!

6. No Star Wars Hot Toys, it's too much! LOL

So with all that being said, I would love to hear strategies from fellow Hot Toys collectors who have learned how to collect reasonably!

Thanks, and glad to be back!-Brad

Welcome back, my strategy is that I have a limited quantity of HT, for example 6 that can fit in a detolf perfectly; so, if for some reason I want a new figure, I have to sell one. This keeps me feom having multiple Iron Men, Captains America, etc. If it’s a new version I want it makes it easier to decide who has to leave.

This helps me keep my addiction in control 🤣 as a 33 year old Dad on a budget too.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

I agree with most everything stated in the above. As someone who is getting back into the hobby as well after selling off their collection, I feel the pressure of going back and finding figures I used to have, like Winter Soldier and Golden Age Captain America. Both are far sold out and only can be found on ebay for at least $300usd.

but other than those one offs, I usually stick with Sideshow and BBTS. I just recently preordered IW Cap, and Ill get IW Bucky and Thor as well.
I eventually want all the avengers, but will have to get them from the films/looks I personally like.

I can justify IW Thor and Dark World Thor due to their looks being so different. Same goes with Cap and Bucky, etc.

Welcome back to the hobby.

p.s....I also agree with no star wars. :lol

I'll contest one of yours which I used to adhere to - no eBay.

In recent months I've been able to snag Hoth Leia for $190 shipped and deluxe Rocket Raccoon for $150 because of eBay coupons and promotions. Utilizing these is a massive leg up, and plenty of reputable stores have eBay outlets. Don't discount this option at all.

I'll contest one of yours which I used to adhere to - no eBay.

In recent months I've been able to snag Hoth Leia for $190 shipped and deluxe Rocket Raccoon for $150 because of eBay coupons and promotions. Utilizing these is a massive leg up, and plenty of reputable stores have eBay outlets. Don't discount this option at all.

Agree. Not saying something bad couldn't happen but I've had some stellar ebay experiences with some great communication. A lot of sellers work really hard it seems. If it weren't for Ebay I wouldn't have a hardcopy of the Art of Marvel Winter Soldier - even tho prices have come down a bit. Ebay helped me source a copy for reasonable price.

Plus kinds of gear and outfits and stands. I do look real hard at feedback tho and what else the seller is offering re getting a feel for the seller. Heck, my Infinity War pins are from ebay just got 'em in:cool:

My strategy (which has proved to still be very expensive) is to limit my main display to one of the original team, plus the solo movie lead characters (so no Visions, Buckys, Falcons etc)..

Somewhere in there last years Movie Promo appeal pulled me in to getting the 'blink and you'll miss' Scarlet Witch from the end of Age of Ultron, and I wound up buying all of her. I can't even remember what made me but all the pre-TDW Thors, but after backfilling the collection I haven't missed any of him since. And as for Iron Man... gee thank you Hot Toys and your clever D series remaking. That's costing me a fortune in Customs Tax alone.. lol

3. This is what I do for my DC figures, but it's hard to do with Marvel... I have a few Caps, Widows and Tonys, I'd never sell any of them.

Back