Awesome collection of WWII photographs.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVILFACE

Super Freak
Reaction score
https://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/ww2.html

s_w36_1a34896u.jpg

s_w04_3a35704u.jpg

Great link, thanks for sharing. I love seeing this stuff...

My grandad flew Avengers in Torpedo Squadron 4 aboard the Essex, Ranger and Bunker Hill. A buddy of his wrote a book detailing most of the events, it's called "A cockpit view of WWII". It's available online if anyone's interested
https://www.airgroup4.com/book/index.htm
One story reports from my grandads gunner, "It was a terrifying moment. I was riding in the turret facing toward the tail. I felt this big thump on my back. I thought, 'Oh my God! to hit behind me it must have got Mr. Ward.' Was I glad when he pulled out of the dive. We made it back with a big hole in the starboard wing."

c1p2as.jpg

c19p2s.jpg

c4p3s.jpg

c17p1s.jpg

Kamikaze on Bunker Hill.
c9p1s.jpg

Ultimate Soldier released a 1:18 scale Avenger that I got in Bunker Hill colors, very happy about that :)

awesome pics.

Waiting for them to post pics of Point Du Hoc (hopefully they will). Maybe I can find my wife's grandfather in them. :pray:

that...is seriously cool. went not too long ago with my wife and man, standing at the top and looking over...holy crap. i couldn't do it with people not shooting at me. and those guys, under fire, with all that gear. damn.

i became friends with a 1st infantry division vet that was a 2nd lt. and landed in the 2nd wave on omaha. he had sketched a little diagram of a spot in coleville where he and a few of his men had to take out an mg42 on this little porch of a house in this narrow street. laid out where he was when he threw his first grenade, where so and so was when they did x-y-z, etc. found the house and street and little porch. just wow. he had so many amazing stories and was so incredibly humble about all of it. he said his kids never asked him about any of it. i think he was happy to have someone interested in listening.

Last edited:
awesome pics.

that...is seriously cool. went not too long ago with my wife and man, standing at the top and looking over...holy crap. i couldn't do it with people not shooting at me. and those guys, under fire, with all that gear. damn.

i became friends with a 1st infantry division vet that was a 2nd lt. and landed in the 2nd wave on omaha. he had sketched a little diagram of a spot in coleville where he and a few of his men had to take out an mg42 on this little porch of a house in this narrow street. laid out where he was when he threw his first grenade, where so and so was when they did x-y-z, etc. found the house and street and little porch. just wow. he had so many amazing stories and was so incredibly humble about all of it. he said his kids never asked him about any of it. i think he was happy to have someone interested in listening.

Yup. The wife's Grandfather used to tell stories of climbing the cliffs and getting to the guns only to discover that they were just telephone polls painted black. Another story he used to tell was when he and two other Rangers covered themselves with a white sheet and fell asleep. A German woman stumbled on them and thought they were all dead. Started screaming when they sat up. :lol

Unfortunately, he didn't really tell that many other stories about Operation: Overlord, WWII and Vietnam. Though he did wind up at the base of Hill 937 with the 101st. Great stories of heroism that were never shared. :(

Both of my grandfathers were in the Pacific during WWII. Unfortunately, neither one of them would talk about their experiences.

Not sure if anyone cares...

But given the global economic climate...anyone else feel like this era is the precursor for Round 3? Recipe for disaster in the making this day n age.

Not sure if anyone cares...

But given the global economic climate...anyone else feel like this era is the precursor for Round 3? Recipe for disaster in the making this day n age.

Not really, no. The days of grandiose world wars is over because the next one will be the last one. Everybody knows there's too much at stake given the global killers at just about everybody's disposal.

Both of my grandfathers were in the Pacific during WWII. Unfortunately, neither one of them would talk about their experiences.

yeah, one of my wife's grandfathers was in europe and would talk. the other was in the pacific and wouldn't talk about it.

Unfortunately, he didn't really tell that many other stories about Operation: Overlord, WWII and Vietnam. Though he did wind up at the base of Hill 937 with the 101st. Great stories of heroism that were never shared. :(

100% truth. i just finished a book on 937/HH/dong ap bia as well as one called a cat from hue (both of which were recommended to me and were very well done).

Last edited:
Back