Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't imagine the claim that AWOW needs to clear 2 billion globally to break even is accurate. How could it be?

In my mind the threshold that it needs to exceed to have respectable earnings is Aquaman's box office (1.148 billion.) If it ends up making less than AM did four years ago then that will indeed be embarrassing, lol.
According to Grace, the film needs to make a billion to break even.

amadeus-there.gif

I was not aware that there were two extended cuts only knew of one so which is the preferred?
Okay so I just watched the Collector's Extended Edition and all it really has beyond the additional Special Edition scenes is the opening with Jake on Earth and then the extra backstory that Neytiri had a sister who was killed by marines in Grace's school. Other than possibly explaining why Neytiri's first instinct when she sees Jake for the first time is to murder him I don't know that the sister thing really adds anything to the story. She already loses her father on screen which is much more impactful than dialogue stating that she also lost a sister. So while the extra scenes are fun to watch I'd lean toward the Special Edition as the superior extended cut.

Already at $555 million, more than halfway there.

I saw this in Imax 3d, and i am a big 3d aficionado with a 3d home theater set up. Did I miss something or people were saying the 3d effects were ground breaking with pop outs and the whole kitchen sink thrown at it. I saw no pop outs, even when there was supposed to be a pop out with Neytiri's arrow, Cameron shot it blurry and didn't do much. Nothing in Avatar and AWOW can touch IMAX documentary movies 3d wise. The last 3 Bay Transformers movies had better 3d 3ffects.
As for the stories it was ok, people who saw this in 2d must be bored out of their minds for an hour when the kids were just playing in the water, without the subtle 3d effects in the movie I would have dozed off.
I have to give it to Cameron for the cgi, it was like watching actual real life Navis walking around. Cameron was right about his comment about his movie and Thanos' cgi....chef's kisses to what we will get in 5 or 10 yrs cgi wise.

Last edited:
It's so rare for a great filmmaker to stay great as they age. James Cameron is 68, the same age that George was when he turned SW over to Disney back in 2012. Can you imagine George releasing a SW film that he directed as good as AWOW on his own at that age? Hell George was 58 when AOTC came out. Peter Jackson was 51 when the first Hobbit film was released. Now I've always enjoyed the Hobbit flicks but I know that to many they are PT level bad.

It just makes me all that much more amazed at AWOW's quality considering Cameron's age and that even with 13 year gaps between films he still hasn't lost a step and to the contrary is still putting out work that blows away most other directors in their primes.

It's so rare for a great filmmaker to stay great as they age. James Cameron is 68, the same age that George was when he turned SW over to Disney back in 2012. Can you imagine George releasing a SW film that he directed as good as AWOW on his own at that age? Hell George was 58 when AOTC came out. Peter Jackson was 51 when the first Hobbit film was released. Now I've always enjoyed the Hobbit flicks but I know that to many they are PT level bad.

It just makes me all that much more amazed at AWOW's quality considering Cameron's age and that even with 13 year gaps between films he still hasn't lost a step and to the contrary is still putting out work that blows away most other directors in their primes.
Did you just say… pt level bad in the year 2022? How dare you

It's okay though I can definitely see this movie not being everyone's cup of tea. As I think about I could totally see you feeling the same way as your buddy. It does indeed have a pretty high "Disney movie" vibe throughout a good portion of it (my Moana joke was actually pretty on the nose) but not modern Disney, more old school Disney with high stakes and some good fun "axe to the face" moments and dismembered arms flying through the air, lol.

I've never walked out of a movie in my life -- though I wanted to from Cool World, closest I ever got.

And I agree, after getting halfway through I would assume the best stuff is just around the corner.

Back