Attn: SSC... a 1/6th Chewie with "fur" CAN be done

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry guys, got caught up with "Lost"...

WOW! Thanks for all the compliments!

Its funny, I posted this custom a few months back but didn't get anywhere near the excitement.

I commissioned this Chewbacca about a year ago from a great guy back east who has since become a good friend. I saw his first custom Chewie on eBay and immediately contacted him. We spoke in great detail about improvements to his unique recipe; adding different colored fur to add texture, etc. This one is a Hasbro 15" Chewbacca (one of those new "vintage" ones) which my friend then furred up, touched up the face, and shipped off to me. Here's a picture of how Chewbacca first arrived to me...

chewieoriginalforpost.jpg

(you guys must recognize my kitchen by now)

Awesome wookie! But a little crazy with the hair.

I just did some trimming and then groomed the hair to get it to lay just right. Its kind of tricky to get that Chewbacca look -- that straggly, just-woke-up look, plus the eyebrows, "beard", etc. I spent about two days just styling him. I see a lot of problems for Sideshow in packaging a fully-furred Chewbacca without the hair getting all crazy.

Anyway, again, here's the final product...

GregsChewbaccaforpost5-24-06.jpg

Thanks again for all the good words!

:D

Last edited:
That's a nice Chewie, and it gives me hope that Sideshow will find it possible to produce one some day in the not-too-distant future.

I seem to remember that after they originally announced the Orthanc environment from the LOTR line, there were some production problems that they had to solve with it. Once they figured out how to actually mass produce it, they brought it out, but only in a limited run of 750 pieces. I think that they could get away with doing the same for Chewie. If they just can't guarantee the quality of 8000 of these, then maybe they will make a small run of site exclusives--say 1000 or so. I also have a hunch that when Chewie first appears, it will be in the easier to work with scale of the Premium Format figures rather than the 1/6 guys. Time will tell...

And now, what could be more appropriate than:

:chew :chew :chew :chew :chew :chew :chew :chew :chew :chew

I just discovered that the dancing Chewie actually dances in time with the Ghostbusters song---happened to be playing in a commercial on the radio as I was looking at this thread and I noticed that.

:chew :chew :chew :chew :chew :chew :chew :chew :chew

And that chewie is awesome. I'm sure that sideshow can think of something.

Wor-Gar said:
Sorry guys, got caught up with "Lost"...

WOW! Thanks for all the compliments!

Its funny, I posted this custom a few months back but didn't get anywhere near the excitement.

I commissioned this Chewbacca about a year ago from a great guy back east who has since become a good friend. I saw his first custom Chewie on eBay and immediately contacted him. We spoke in great detail about improvements to his unique recipe; adding different colored fur to add texture, etc. This one is a Hasbro 15" Chewbacca (one of those new "vintage" ones) which my friend then furred up, touched up the face, and shipped off to me. Here's a picture of how Chewbacca first arrived to me...

chewieoriginalforpost.jpg

(you guys must recognize my kitchen by now)

Awesome wookie! But a little crazy with the hair.

I just did some trimming and then groomed the hair to get it to lay just right. Its kind of tricky to get that Chewbacca look -- that straggly, just-woke-up look, plus the eyebrows, "beard", etc. I spent about two days just styling him. I see a lot of problems for Sideshow in packaging a fully-furred Chewbacca without the hair getting all crazy.

Anyway, again, here's the final product...

GregsChewbaccaforpost5-24-06.jpg

Thanks again for all the good words!

:D

This is freaking AWESOME!!!!! I'd love to see this in PF form.

Finally That's just what I wanted to see, I can wait alot of time to have this one If done correctly in premium format. PLASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
I Want Chewie with fur... Premium Format first please... even If I buy everything Star wars produced by Sideshow:chew

"Essence of Chewie" The new fragrance from Lucas. What do you think that smells like?

I'm sure the issue isn't whether Sideshow could produce a Chewie in either 1/4 or 12" because I have no doubt they could. The question is would it be cost effective. What would the final cost to the consumer be?

Chewie is likely going to cost more, just being on a taller body without even considering the logistics of an all fur "suit" or a sculpted fur body. I would imagine that it would be cheaper and more realistic to take an approach similar to these custom made Chewies.

Which look amazing, by the way!:chew

hi, ive a chewie too, also done by the same (very clever) guy as Wor-gars', im still altering the fur, but i did fit elbows into the arms on mine.....
bb54beec.jpg

ac0e1eda.jpg

Fritz said:
I'm sure the issue isn't whether Sideshow could produce a Chewie in either 1/4 or 12" because I have no doubt they could. The question is would it be cost effective. What would the final cost to the consumer be?

I would pay 100 for a quality furry Chewy.

A quality "real" fur Chewbacca in 1/6 scale would be one of the few figures I'd pay over $100 for.

I still think it'd be virtually impossible to get a real fur Chewie that looked spot-on right out of the box. Whatever we get is going to require tweaking, be it a comb out or styling, or even a light glue/water combo to give him more of a matted look.

Back