Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I had a ranger Aragorn I wouldn't have ordered the InART; tho I have some curiosity since it will be a new company for me. For myself, I'd love it if ASMUS did an upgrade head for Legolas and just sold that; I really have no need (since I own 2) of another Legolas (unless it's a Mirkwood version), and like ASMUS accessories and costuming.

And sturdiness - since I keep messing with Gandalf, I take reasonable care with my figs but expect you can pose them, and I hauled Thorin to the snow at one point - all of them holding up really well. I'm shocked I like the new hat as much as I do - but using vinyl seems like less potential damage to the hair, it's pretty effective.

Nice:). Well, if only there were more Hobbit, tho we ARE getting Thranduil in his berry crown. What I wouldn't pay for a Dwalin or Dain - since ASMUS has a great dwarf body.
I could have swore that Asmus said they were going to redo the Legolas sculpt but haven’t heard anything since. I could be mistaken as well

People like to dislike other products because that way they feel they belong to a better group/tribe and through that they are better than other people.
This applies ofc to many different things throughout our lifes not just 1/6.
They think owning a certain product elevates/empowers them.
Which is dumb as f.ck if you ask me.
I find that rather shallow.
I don’t mean anything personal here but I’m going to indulge myself for a moment.

Hear me out… You just presented yourself as one of an the elite group of more reasonable beings, who are too enlightened to suffer the tribalistic instincts of our evolutionary psychology, thus elevating yourself in status, and empowering you with the virtue of being above such shallow biases and the people who hold them.

It’s the same instinct you belittled; only applied to a different value set.

Instead of ‘My toy is better than your toy’ it’s ‘The way I engage in collecting toys is better than yours.’

K. That’s all.

I don’t mean anything personal here but I’m going to indulge myself for a moment.

Hear me out… You just presented yourself as one of an the elite group of more reasonable beings, who are too enlightened to suffer the tribalistic instincts of our evolutionary psychology, thus elevating yourself in status, and empowering you with the virtue of being above such shallow biases and the people who hold them.

Instead of ‘My toy is better than your toy’ it’s ‘The way I engage in collecting toys is better than yours.’

K. That’s all.
You got what you wrote from what he wrote? Really?

I will address your last sentence though. Some people do act better in this hobby than others. Some members telling other members that they are lying to themselves or they are outright wrong in their opinions just reeks of elitism.

Rzeznikk - these are by far the most incredible photos I’ve seen of the new sculpt. What’s mind blowing is it’s not unusual to see prototype photos this good but these are of a production piece. Your base is also stellar. BTW hope you don’t mind but I may have turned your pictures into my new screen saver. 😂
IMG_5914.png

Rzeznikk - these are by far the most incredible photos I’ve seen of the new sculpt. What’s mind blowing is it’s not unusual to see prototype photos this good but these are of a production piece. Your base is also stellar. BTW hope you don’t mind but I may have turned your pictures into my new screen saver. 😂
View attachment 663534
Thanks man! 🍻 It looks great as a Screen saver too!

K. That’s all.

Ehhhhhh I don’t necessarily agree with this😅.

Whilst there is a bit of truth with your point and there ARE those that think they’re on a more elevated plane of existence because of their collection (which that in of itself is truly depressing), I think the toxicity of tribalism is at its worst when people don’t want to have well thought out conversations and would rather blindly gang up on those offering constructive criticism. As if the criticism is aimed at the consumer personally and NOT at the company behind the product. That is the worst when people take **** personally.

It’s like you can say, without any vitriol to any individual: “i don’t like how this company did this and this and is clearly exploiting its fan base”, only to be responded back with “YoUr Stoopid”.

K. That’s all.
Don't agree with this; it's like saying I can't say this statement I am typing at the moment because if I don't agree that folks SHOULD be "tribal" I'm being elitist. Er.

And IS true, at times, it's "dangerous" to disagree because you get comments that more or less like "making excuses or being a shill for X", "you must be blind/have bad taste/go away and quit ruining our joy", "that figure X is garbage", etc.

baby_nazgul.jpg

Pretty much like being at football game where each team's fans are trashing each other. That may never change - but at the same time it can stifle honest/fair discussion. Not to be elitist tho. :monkey3 :banghead

It’s like you can say, without any vitriol to any individual: “i don’t like how this company did this and this and is clearly exploiting its fan base”, only to be responded back with “YoUr Stoopid”.
:lol What would Gandalf say, it's like the elves and dwarves bickering. Meanwhile, luv, luv my "new" figure, luv ASMUS coz they showed so much LUV😁 and gave me Thorin and Thranduil, diecast Nazgul and and a "new" Gandalf, lots of accessories for me to play with and even this freakin' cute baby Nazgul (Frodo is cute, but this baby Naz out-cutes him think I need 8 more :lol )
ASMUS_crown_gandalf_blu_opt.jpg

Last edited:

K. That’s all.

I did not claim or doubt at all that tribal behavior/instinct is part of human nature and that we all express it in some way or another.
Its part of me and its part of you too.

Personally, I have never once posted anything on these forums where my aim was to hurt another member in any way because of what they like.
But "standing up" when someone else does it to another member is a whole another thing in my opinion.
There is a huge difference between where and when one applies this human instinct.
I certainly have my shortcomings and weaknesses because I am human but at the same time I dont think I was in any form an agressor towards anyone in the first place expressing my thoughts.

I do not consider myself an elitist or better than others in anything unless that cannot be measured between two or more people under the same circumstances.

Everyone is allowed to like what they want, but let's not try to tell others that they are stupid if they don't like what we like.
There is really no point to argue about taste.

If one likes green apples but the other the red apples that doesnt make either person better than the other or one worse than the other I think.
Just like you can like pineapple all you want I hate the sight and taste of it and nothings gonna change my mind. about it.

And I wouldnt wanna change anyone's mind about anything because it always leads to an endless debate.
And as far as I know we are all mortals among our species, time is running out for all of us, so there is absolutely no need to try force anyone's thoughts on others and belittle them if they think otherwise.
So my post was purely about some people trying to drag down/belittle/judge others because of their tastes and opinions that don't match their own.

The fact that someone doesn't like a particular company is perfectly fine with me, but it's not okay at all to hurt any other person because he disagrees with you and dares to have a different opinion about what he likes.

"Instead of ‘My toy is better than your toy’ it’s ‘The way I go on about this is: lets try to be kind to others but if I cant be kind for any reason, at least try not to cause harm."

Because I think that is shallow.

Some members telling other members that they are lying to themselves or they are outright wrong in their opinions just reeks of elitism.

This is so wrong and elite.

Personally, I have never once posted anything on these forums where my aim was to hurt another member in any way

I'm hurt by this.

View attachment 663534

"That's an oddly specific time to drop a pre-order" I thought when I looked at this post without reading it and rushed to the Asmus site to see if there were any left.

That is the worst when people take **** personally.
Yea, and it's funny to me when the other person who is actually taking it personally tries to then turn things around by replying to your well thought out post with "sounds like you're taking this personally" b/c they have nothing else to really offer or add to the conversation.

Yea, and it's funny to me when the other person who is actually taking it personally tries to then turn things around by replying to your well thought out post with "sounds like you're taking this personally" b/c they have nothing else to really offer or add to the conversation.

LOL and to top it all off…it’s funny when they play victim and gaslight you as if you were the aggressor all along.

Like…dude…

Really?? 🤣🤣

Back