Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Asmus Crown Gandalf the Grey upgraded sculpt arrived today and I was surprised the package was littered with all these extra goodies! The updated sculpted GtG hat, the Free Giveaway Anduril diecast sword and the mini Frodo. Wasn't expected, but was very appreciated! Thank you! As for the Upgraded sculpt it is a much better follow up from their original Crown sculpt. Though it's sad they abandoned the movable eyes, but its understandable why. Also I feel he's a bit too tan. Gandalf has been spending a lot of time in the sun!
View attachment 663206View attachment 663207View attachment 663208View attachment 663209View attachment 663210View attachment 663211View attachment 663212View attachment 663213View attachment 663214View attachment 663215
Thanks for the comparison pics. This really shows how bad the original looks next to the new one.

So I ordered the upgrade sculpt this morning. Reading back here it seems like it went online previously?! I totally missed this I guess?

(Hopefully my order comes with the anduril 🤞)

What is going on with the email notifications? I’ve been sitting here waiting for an email for over a week then suddenly they go up for order and no email, and I missed it for like the fourth time? I’m getting incredibly frustrated with trying to get the upgrade.

So I ordered the upgrade sculpt this morning. Reading back here it seems like it went online previously?! I totally missed this I guess?

(Hopefully my order comes with the anduril 🤞)
This is the 3rd of 4th time its gone up for order. I know I skipped the first time and maybe even the second time they were up.

You buy them.

The GTW sculpts are to serve as upgrades to the original, sculpted beard (non-Crown line) Gandalf the Whie.

The GTG sculpts are reworked Crown GTW sculpts to serve as an upgrade to the Crown (or non-Crown, I suppose) Gandalf the Grey heads. These do not have the rolling eyeball function that plagued the release of the Crown GTG.

All of the heads are rooted with care and therefore are taking a long time to produce, so the stock is limited and sells out fairly quick, but they have been restocking like once a month-ish.

Ah thank you - appreciate the time you took to respond.

This is the best I've seen the new head look, Joshua.

I know I'm in the extreme minority with this opinion, but seeing this comparison again confirms for me that I still prefer the original version. Obviously the eyes are weird, but in overall presentation I just can't get used to the new version.
I don't know what it is exactly, but it looks like an exaggerated cartoonish version to me. Perhaps it's the large eyes?

But aside form my personal preference (and I'm going to replace mine with InArt anyway), I'm happy that Asmus is offering this upgrade and that everybody here who got it likes it!

Something else I just noticed and haven't seen mentioned here, (maybe I overlooked it): Asmus is offering Crown Gandalf now with the new head on their website. So you can get the complete package with upgraded head for $350. GANDALF THE GREY

This is the best I've seen the new head look, Joshua.

I know I'm in the extreme minority with this opinion, but seeing this comparison again confirms for me that I still prefer the original version. Obviously the eyes are weird, but in overall presentation I just can't get used to the new version.
I don't know what it is exactly, but it looks like an exaggerated cartoonish version to me. Perhaps it's the large eyes?

But aside form my personal preference (and I'm going to replace mine with InArt anyway), I'm happy that Asmus is offering this upgrade and that everybody here who got it likes it!

Something else I just noticed and haven't seen mentioned here, (maybe I overlooked it): Asmus is offering Crown Gandalf now with the new head on their website. So you can get the complete package with upgraded head for $350. GANDALF THE GREY

I do prefer the new sculpt to the original offering but It does have this "doll like or wax museum" type feel look to it imo.

And wow, ain't that a kick in the nuts to the faithfuls who ordered the original. Then now purchased the upgrade. 😆 🤷🏼‍♂️🤦‍♂️

What was the original price? $300? 315? Something like that. Then $138 (after shipping) for the upgrade
$438- $453 for the collectors who ordered the original Crown and Upgrade.

Take that as you will.

Yeah people who have been excited for Asmus’ LotR line and ordered their original offerings have been shafted time and time again. I just want to buy a head upgrade for my original Hobbit Gandalf but I keep missing the order window because of life and welp, guess I’m SOL.

I do prefer the new sculpt to the original offering but It does have this "doll like or wax museum" type feel look to it imo.

And wow, ain't that a kick in the nuts to the faithfuls who ordered the original. Then now purchased the upgrade. 😆 🤷🏼‍♂️🤦‍♂️

What was the original price? $300? 315? Something like that. Then $138 (after shipping) for the upgrade
$438- $453 for the collectors who ordered the original Crown and Upgrade.

Take that as you will.

Well I'll disagree - I thought the original GTG sculpt was excellent, there was the eye thing for sure, but I still idly wonder if the eyes could just be filled, and redone - although, why I would need 3 GTG at the moment (need another body) - not at this time.

And while I get why some folks might be annoyed they need to shell out more money - it depends. I wasn't. I was happy an upgrade was available. Suppose it depends on how you are with this hobby e.g. if ASMUS announced a to-scale Bag End door I'd happily buy that as well. I wouldn't get angry that it didn't come out years ago.

(Like, HT came out with the classic assassin Winter Soldier way back, and they'd never just come out with an improved head sculpt. They'll make you buy a whole new figure at today's prices. Since IMO the costume, body, accessories of ASMUS GTG for me are stellar :clap , just a head upgrade was fantastic - and works for an older version too(y).).

Finally, up to GTG production - and I think it gets forgotten - ASMUS turned out some stellar figs cleverly using less expensive materials (e.g. vinyl vs. leather for instance) and the Crown Line for them is/was a kind of experiment. Whether they, or InArt for that matter, can really make a successful business out of upscale figures - dunno. Like, we are gonna get a Thranduil but apparently not a full throne. ASMUS openly discussed the cost of that. Which I respect since nobody wants these companies to go under like Big Chief.:horror

InART apparently sold a Joker set at ~1,000$ and I'd have to think long and hard about regularly paying ~500$ per fig. I'm getting the INART DX Aragorn, yes$$$$. But I'm uneasy about it. Like if they fixed the boots, for one thing.

Last edited:
Yeah people who have been excited for Asmus’ LotR line and ordered their original offerings have been shafted time and time again. I just want to buy a head upgrade for my original Hobbit Gandalf but I keep missing the order window because of life and welp, guess I’m SOL.
Well, no, I don't know how many ASMUS plans to make; but suspect the demand - and flippers - will eventually taper down some, and all who want the head sculpt will be able to source it.

I don't feel shafted 😁 . Since I pulled Thorin out am impressed he's in as good condition as new - no shedding fur, joints in great shape, I forgot how many details went into that fig like the metallic wash on the boots, and the bluish metal toning on (diecast) Orcrist. Beautiful fig:love, can't wait for the next Thranduil.:impatient:

No more Asmus for me! Specially they screwed up my order last time. They maintain 2 server system - 1 in English and another in Chinese.
They aren't synced!!! They manually translate their orders to Chinese server and it's nightmare.

And another thing! Assmus -
Do it right the first time.
How many times are you going to sell upgrade kit?

As much crap as I talked about Asmus ( that I don't regret or will take back) I've come to actually love this figure now. Not only is the sculpt well done but their application of the mustache & hair is much better this time around.

20230919_145624.jpg

Last edited:
The new head really looks fantastic. I’m wondering if I even needed to get the InArt. Asmus should really go back and revisit other portraits like the Saruman (rooted hair and beard), the 4 hobbits (rooted hair), Eowyn (as well as a full figure in gown), Arwen, and Galadriel. I’ll probably wait to see if InArt produces a Legolas.

I think the Asmus GtG with the new head looks fantastic. Is it better or worse than the InArt? Doesn't matter to me. It's awesome whichever way you want to go. I'm not taking sides (mostly because I'm getting them both) but also because having two amazing looking Gandalfs (Gandalves?) on the market (three, if you count Asmus' terrific GtW) will push both companies bring their A-games. Competition is good for us. It's a great time to be a Middle-Earth collector!

The new head really looks fantastic. I’m wondering if I even needed to get the InArt. Asmus should really go back and revisit other portraits like the Saruman (rooted hair and beard), the 4 hobbits (rooted hair), Eowyn (as well as a full figure in gown), Arwen, and Galadriel. I’ll probably wait to see if InArt produces a Legolas.
I’ve already stated that if this would have come out before I put down the NRD that I wouldn’t have even ordered InArts. Also agree that they should revisit sculpts. If they would have redone Aragorns and made it better I would not have ordered their Aragorn either. Their Twin Towers sculpt was actually worse than their Fellowship one. Boots were worse as well.

I’ve already stated that if this would have come out before I put down the NRD that I wouldn’t have even ordered InArts. Also agree that they should revisit sculpts. If they would have redone Aragorns and made it better I would not have ordered their Aragorn either. Their Twin Towers sculpt was actually worse than their Fellowship one. Boots were worse as well.

If I had a ranger Aragorn I wouldn't have ordered the InART; tho I have some curiosity since it will be a new company for me. For myself, I'd love it if ASMUS did an upgrade head for Legolas and just sold that; I really have no need (since I own 2) of another Legolas (unless it's a Mirkwood version), and like ASMUS accessories and costuming.

And sturdiness - since I keep messing with Gandalf, I take reasonable care with my figs but expect you can pose them, and I hauled Thorin to the snow at one point - all of them holding up really well. I'm shocked I like the new hat as much as I do - but using vinyl seems like less potential damage to the hair, it's pretty effective.

I think the Asmus GtG with the new head looks fantastic. Is it better or worse than the InArt? Doesn't matter to me. It's awesome whichever way you want to go. I'm not taking sides (mostly because I'm getting them both) but also because having two amazing looking Gandalfs (Gandalves?) on the market (three, if you count Asmus' terrific GtW) will push both companies bring their A-games. Competition is good for us. It's a great time to be a Middle-Earth collector!

Nice:). Well, if only there were more Hobbit, tho we ARE getting Thranduil in his berry crown. What I wouldn't pay for a Dwalin or Dain - since ASMUS has a great dwarf body.

Back