Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From pics and video it appears he only really looks good (and at times VERY good) from the side and three quarter angle, given the right lighting. Viewing him dead on, the eyes completely break the illusion of Ian Mckellen's likeness. That mascara effect is just killing me, smalls. It makes him look like Alice Cooper or Keith Richards.

Is it possible to break the eyes off and glue them to the inside of the face sculpt? :lol

Thanks guys...
I'm really loving everything about this figure, only one nit after futzing...
The base- it hides too much of the figure, the figure
hides too much of the base, and the pieces fit together
poorly & wobble. But Gandalf is the BOMB!!!
(sorry for the repost of the last two pics... i can't seem to get rid of them?)
od2.jpg

od3.jpg

od4.jpg

0d5.jpg

od1.jpg

Attachments

• futz3.jpg
    futz3.jpg
    476.3 KB · Views: 187
  • futz4.jpg
    futz4.jpg
    478.2 KB · Views: 183
Happy seeing more pics with his hat and cloak and bag because that is the perfect displayed Gandalf in my opinion. It’s great there are so many accessories and options with this set. The base does seem a problem unfortunately.

Has anyone taken any pics of Gandalf on the base with the Bag End gate removed?

I think one thing that definitely isn't helping is that the eyes are cut open wider than they were on the proto below, where he had more of a squint going on. The lower eyelids used to curve inward around the eye more but are now lower and flatter across. And while McKellen may have very blue eyes, the current ones are just far too unnaturally bright for something at this scale.

And the lower eyelashes being painted so dark and prominent is probably also contributing to that "cut out" look, whereas below they were much more subtle and barely even visible.

View attachment 508430

Yes if the eyes were darker like in the proto on the right, I think that would help, though I still love it.

Last edited:
Well...regarding the eyes, alot of senior citizens do suffer from Glaucoma during old age.

The hobbit leaf is medicine man ! Why else do you think he visits Bilbo from time to time?

Asmus is just adding realism to the figure.

I think one thing that definitely isn't helping is that the eyes are cut open wider than they were on the proto below, where he had more of a squint going on. The lower eyelids used to curve inward around the eye more but are now lower and flatter across. And while McKellen may have very blue eyes, the current ones are just far too unnaturally bright for something at this scale.

And the lower eyelashes being painted so dark and prominent is probably also contributing to that "cut out" look, whereas below they were much more subtle and barely even visible.

View attachment 508430

From pics and video it appears he only really looks good (and at times VERY good) from the side and three quarter angle, given the right lighting. Viewing him dead on, the eyes completely break the illusion of Ian Mckellen's likeness. That mascara effect is just killing me, smalls. It makes him look like Alice Cooper or Keith Richards.

Is it possible to break the eyes off and glue them to the inside of the face sculpt? :lol

Good points.

I think a slight re-paint will help and Agentbutterman, you jest about the eyes on the face sculpt, but that may be an option to consider, as well. Scumonkey's pics clearly show the eyes being in WAY too sunken.

Amazing how much of difference it makes

It really does my dude.

Good points.

I think a slight re-paint will help and Agentbutterman, you jest about the eyes on the face sculpt, but that may be an option to consider, as well. Scumonkey's pics clearly show the eyes being in WAY too sunken.

That gives me hope as I would do that ASAP. Otherwise, l feel like I'll be seeing this forever any time I look at it:

maxresdefault.jpg

just curious, how many of you complaining about the eyes actually have the figure in hand?
I don't think they look that bad in person, the figure-especially the eyes (they are so small), just doesn't photograph that easily/well.

just curious, how many of you complaining about the eyes actually have the figure in hand?
I don't think they look that bad in person, the figure-especially the eyes (they are so small), just doesn't photograph that easily/well.
[emoji817]
I've only seen one person that actually has it in hand that has complained. But said he still is happy with the figure. All criticism has come from people only viewing pics/videos.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Well that's all fine, but another part of collecting figures is being able to take cool photos of them, or sharing some cool pose that we might be proud of. So are you saying we should just not bother with that at all with this figure?

And at least personally, I've yet to own a figure that looked dramatically different in hand than it did in pics.

Well that's all fine, but another part of collecting figures is being able to take cool photos of them, or sharing some cool pose that we might be proud of. So are you saying we should just not bother with that at all with this figure?

And at least personally, I've yet to own a figure that looked dramatically different in hand than it did in pics.

Plus the only thing we have to go off on these figures when buying them is pictures and videos.

Don't put words in my mouth- I never said that, just that it is difficult
to get a good representative pic- especially the eyes.
Here is what i think is a decent pic I was able to get, on the base sans gate,
with some dried rosemary and baby's breath added to the plastic plants.
I think the eyes look fine with the light at the right angle.
base pose.jpg

If you don’t have your Gandalf in hand I can almost guarantee that the eyes will not bother you once you have him (I say almost cause everyone’s different obviously). In person and in good photos this Gandalf is the definitive version and without spending loads of money on custom head sculpt paint and hair you can’t even come close to this Gandalf. The hat though is not well executed

Back