Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My order is June 22 2019. Their email to me before Chinese New Year was that they will invoice after Feb 17 and ship out by end of Feb. I didn't get any invoice but saw their FB response. Hopefully they are taking their time to see if they can fix the hat and eyes issue. I've been waiting for a while so I don't mind waiting another month or two if they can fix the issues.

I could potentially see them maaaybe doing something about replacing the hat with the remaining pre-orders, but the eyes seem like they would take a lot more technical engineering. That's probably a stretch. Also, nobody thinks the hat looks good and people seem pretty split on the eyes.

My order is June 22 2019. Their email to me before Chinese New Year was that they will invoice after Feb 17 and ship out by end of Feb. I didn't get any invoice but saw their FB response. Hopefully they are taking their time to see if they can fix the hat and eyes issue. I've been waiting for a while so I don't mind waiting another month or two if they can fix the issues.

I am in the same boat.

They can't possibly be thinking about changing the eyes on remaining orders that haven't shipped. Wouldn't be fair to those who have one in transit. I could see them doing a new hat and just sending new ones to those who already got Gandalf.

I could potentially see them maaaybe doing something about replacing the hat with the remaining pre-orders, but the eyes seem like they would take a lot more technical engineering. That's probably a stretch. Also, nobody thinks the hat looks good and people seem pretty split on the eyes.

I think the camera lens tends to make the eyes appear a bit more deep set and beady than they look in-hand. But also the sclera is actually a gray color. And it's too dark of a shade. It's acceptable overall. I wouldn't say it ruins the figure. But if anyone out there starts making decent custom eyes to replace the stock ones I'd be all over it.

Who?d?a thunk that stitching a piece of fabric directly across the opening of a hat would prevent it from sliding naturally onto a head... Come on Asmus.
I guess it?s actually a good idea in principle- in order to protect the hair when removing the hat- but the execution was just poor. GTG has to be displayed wearing a hat for me so it?s be great if Asmus jump on this issue immediately to remedy it. This first Crown figure really needs to be superlative and without error if they intend to continue a range of $300+ figures. They don?t want the legacy of Gandalf to be beady, sunken eyes and an unusable hat.

I?d personally like to see someone slick his hair down a bit. It?s all way to dry and fluffy looking out of the box for my taste. GtG is a weathered, greasy, unwashed hobo of a man- not quite as bad as Radagast but still in need of some added grime.

Who?d?a thunk that stitching a piece of fabric directly across the opening of a hat would prevent it from sliding naturally onto a head... Come on Asmus.
I guess it?s actually a good idea in principle- in order to protect the hair when removing the hat- but the execution was just poor. GTG has to be displayed wearing a hat for me so it?s be great if Asmus jump on this issue immediately to remedy it. This first Crown figure really needs to be superlative and without error if they intend to continue a range of $300+ figures. They don?t want the legacy of Gandalf to be beady, sunken eyes and an unusable hat.

I?d personally like to see someone slick his hair down a bit. It?s all way to dry and fluffy looking out of the box for my taste. GtG is a weathered, greasy, unwashed hobo of a man- not quite as bad as Radagast but still in need of some added grime.

Imagine if u aren't confident in ur skill set and materials, no-one is gonna dive in and - possibly permanently - mess up their $300 fig:horror. Especially the portrait. We've all waited a long time for something like this; ASMUS after all is taking a risk making something like this fig. IMO a GOOD risk, but I wasn't the one who had to invest in production.

Well, yeah, there's plenty of stuff that'll give a "greasy" look - candle soot/wax for one thing - but good luck getting it out later. The most non-permanent stuff I can think of is chalks, cheap eyeshadows, some hair care stuff. Even then it's a risk, unless u decide u don't care if it's permanent.

I can't speak to how frustrating the hat is, until I get the fig in hand; and with SSC that will be a while. For myself, not sure I'd put all that nice rooted hair under a hat anyway.

I?d be very cautious of hairspray because of the alcohol in it could remove the paintwork.
Best is a hair mousse, or hair oil or beard oil, or wax.

Weird, I thought I was going to get my Gandalf today. When I didn't, I checked tracking and saw that it was available for pickup at my post office. They received it in plenty of time early this morning to give to the carrier and they didn't even attempt delivery. I know this because my carrier comes at 1pm and it was available for pickup at 9am. I understand I might have to sign for it and it would have ended up being the same result anyway, but it is their job to DELIVER stuff.

Weird, I thought I was going to get my Gandalf today. When I didn't, I checked tracking and saw that it was available for pickup at my post office. They received it in plenty of time early this morning to give to the carrier and they didn't even attempt delivery. I know this because my carrier comes at 1pm and it was available for pickup at 9am. I understand I might have to sign for it and it would have ended up being the same result anyway, but it is their job to DELIVER stuff.

Hate that kind of stuff. Tho my SSC orders etc - they've suspended getting signatures at the door anyway.

after tracking just stopped, showing no progress for 10 days, mine was left on my front porch today!!!
I think it looks brilliant- thank you Asmus:clap :bunnydanc

after tracking just stopped, showing no progress for 10 days, mine was left on my front porch today!!!
I think it looks brilliant- thank you Asmus:clap :bunnydanc

I am getting jealous. Anybody else order in June 2019 still waiting for those invoices? I figured I would have mine by now. The new year celebration is over, correct?

Back