Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, this looks incredible. Bowed out of 1/6 collecting for a bit but this is a must have. Pre-ordered through Asmus' site. Hopefully they deliver on the quality promise and this line continues. I stayed away from 1/6 LotR figures in the past because the Asmus releases have seemed very hit or miss.

PopCultcha has him up for pre-order. Didn’t think they were going to get him.
f8a4725beed5f5536003b8b0b76ed59d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DAYUM that's badass! :rock

Doesn't his robe look little short below the belt?
Or is it himself a little short than he should be?
Also his back drape should be long enough to be dragging on the ground.
View attachment 462932

Screen from the movie
View attachment 462931

Or maybe it's just needs to be pressed down?

Just a day or two ago I watched the extended version DVD of FotR, and in the scene where Gandalf knocks on Bilbo's door there is a brief glimpse from behind Gandalf that the figure is consistent with. The length appears to be okay, at least according to that shot.

My concern is that that the fabric used for the robe may be too coarse and stiff. I think it should use a finer weave that is more flexible and drapes more naturally to create folds.

So it's Gandalf or Armoured Thanos. More or less same price. This does looks sweet, but so does armoured Thanos.......

Gandalf's probably going to be delayed. It is a new line and like new production techniques for Asmus. I don't mind as long as Asmus gets the final release as close to the prototype as possible. You should be able to grab them both.

Just a day or two ago I watched the extended version DVD of FotR, and in the scene where Gandalf knocks on Bilbo's door there is a brief glimpse from behind Gandalf that the figure is consistent with. The length appears to be okay, at least according to that shot.

My concern is that that the fabric used for the robe may be too coarse and stiff. I think it should use a finer weave that is more flexible and drapes more naturally to create folds.

I saw what's obviously wrong and hoped it can be improved before release, but everyone tells me it's not a big issue or it can be fixed after you receive it.
I give up. :dunno

Attachments

• IMG_5820.jpg
    IMG_5820.jpg
    476 KB · Views: 178
I think the SDCC promo photos show a badly futzed figure more than anything but it definitely needs more material adding. I think the original GTG had a similar issue but I've seen some well futzed versions which the length doesn't look too bad.

Just to clarify (excuse the two low quality photos) the top robe sits around the feet but the front is cut higher so he doesn't trip over it (which sometimes gives the impression that it's shorter than it actually is). The back is longer so it's almost touching the ground. It definitely shouldn't be swinging around his ankles and the wide trousers he wears underneath the top robe is cut to the same, if not slightly longer length.

Hope that helps clear it up. [emoji6]
b8d2d90298200025c1d5e5c98a3d411d.jpg
90abaf3dfaffbc0ad12caf1cbe800b37.jpg
f5392c982a0f437be9a3578e1581549b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I think the SDCC promo photos show a badly futzed figure more than anything but it definitely needs more material adding. I think the original GTG had a similar issue but I've seen some well futzed versions which the length doesn't look too bad.

Just to clarify (excuse the two low quality photos) the top robe sits around the feet but the front is cut higher so he doesn't trip over it (which sometimes gives the impression that it's shorter than it actually is). The back is longer so it's almost touching the ground. It definitely shouldn't be swinging around his ankles and the wide trousers he wears underneath the top robe is cut to the same, if not slightly longer length.

I appreciate it, but you don't need to explain that to me. I went frame by frame after pre-ordering this figure.
Like I said previously, I just hope Asmus toys see these photos and improve their clothing for this figure. longer fabric cut or different fabric.

I appreciate this, thanks. Yeah that is how the robe should be, i.e., as shown in those pics.

I think the criticism on the length and thickness of the cloth on the robe is totally,
SPOT ON.
Its not even logical to argue about it. Looking at it now... it just cheapens this figure.

It not a great example but, the fabric that Hot Toys used for their Batman VS Superman, Armored Batman or Reg Superman capes, drape and fold very nicely. Superman's especially gives many small creases and folds and it is thin and has a weight that makes it settle in a way that give the illusion of scale that is needed here. Funny because for all their R&D and spending, Hot Toys normally can't seem to manufacture a cape worth having to save their life.
Good enough is NOT good enough.

The head on Gandolf looks so great on this figure that its easy to neglect the other areas.
We have all been awoken afresh to the genius of a new Asmus going forward.
I HOPE THEY CAN HEAR THIS.

Like the Hot Toys Christopher Reeve's Superman or their Micheal Keaton Batman, this figure (like no other) cries out. It could set a new standard, it could be a classic. It could be one for the ages.

It deserves to be Asmus's Crown Jewel.

Last edited:
I think the criticism on the length and thickness of the cloth on the robe is totally,
SPOT ON.
Its not even logical to argue about it. Looking at it now... it just cheapens this figure.

It not a great example but, the fabric that Hot Toys used for their Batman VS Superman, Armored Batman or Reg Superman capes, drape and fold very nicely. Superman's especially gives many small creases and folds and it is thin and has a weight that makes it settle in a way that give the illusion of scale that is needed here. Funny because for all their R&D and spending, Hot Toys normally can't seem to manufacture a cape worth having to save their life.

The head on Gandolf looks so great on this figure that its easy to neglect the other areas.

Like the Hot Toys Christopher Reeve's Superman or their Micheal Keaton Batman, this figure (like no other) cries out. It could set a new standard, it could be a classic. It could be one for the ages.

It deserves to be Asmus's swan song.

Hear! Hear!

Er, I hope it's not a "swan song" as that literally means a last great performance before retirement. But yes, I too stand to applaud what Mike Stutelberg said. The Crown line should move Asmus to a new level for itself and for the industry! Asmus says of the Crown line:

Asmus toys is very excited to announce the launch of our brand new, top graded product line Asmus Crown series.

The project of Crown series has been prepared for over two years, during the time, we have gathered experiences and feedback based on the artists and factories to test the roof of our productivity, to see if we are ready to make something that will be worthy the crown. At last, everything is ready in place to begin.

The Crown series will be the ultimate integration of art and mass production, there will be skills that may only be applied by the hand of an artist, which will be personally taught to the production line, or even operated by the artist him/herself on the final product.

Every detail in The Crown series will be made into the finest detail, there will be no more compromise to mass production or cost, the demand for quality will be above all.

The Crown series will be the dedication to the fans who has been support Asmus over the 10 years, and we wish this will be a milestone to the next generation of collectible.

Fortunately, one area that Asmus has consistently shined in... for the most part... is in the costuming of the figures. So especially in that light, to put a robe on a figure of this quality that makes it look doll-like would make no sense. Surely there must be a suitable fabric that drapes properly to create the illusion that the robe is to scale.

Why have they made the hands and face in different paint jobs? His face looks pale and sick(?) while the hands look healthy, looks a bit off. Will you change that on the final product? :pray:

SPOT ON.

It deserves to be Asmus's swan song.

Add my name to this petition!

swan song
noun
a person's final public performance or professional activity before retirement.

Swan song?
So you don?t want Asmus to release any more figures after this one?

Heck no, and I doubt he meant it that way either. I figured he just misused the phrase. Piece de resistance would be more appropriate. Or Crown Jewel in this case given Asmus own labeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heck no, and I doubt he meant it that way either. I figured he just misused the phrase. Piece de resistance would be more appropriate. Or Crown Jewel in this case given Asmus own labeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course most of you actually got the spirit of the thing...

To those who pointed out my misuse of the phrase, you were of course, absolutely right.
But, lets not argue over semantics we should be telling ASMUS what we as collectors truly value. Unlike Hot Toys these guys actually listen to us, their customers....

Lets try this again, and speak out if you want the quality and cut of this robe addressed...

SPOT ON.

It deserves to be Asmus's Crown Jewel.

Back