Asmus Toys: Gandalf the White

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But I'm at a loss as to why people wish this was Gandalf the Grey. I know that there's an unreasonable bias against Sideshow, but their Gandalf was one of the best figures they've ever done - easily as good as Hot Toys. And it's not that hard to find or that expensive.

Easy to find? Where?

But I'm at a loss as to why people wish this was Gandalf the Grey. I know that there's an unreasonable bias against Sideshow, but their Gandalf was one of the best figures they've ever done - easily as good as Hot Toys. And it's not that hard to find or that expensive.

I never got into the Sideshow game when the LOTR figures came out. So for that reason I don't want to buy an older figure to get Gandalf the grey, especially since it won't even come close to the quality of the Asmus version. I am a patient man, and I will wait, and if Asmus doesn't release it, its no big deal. I like Gandalf the white just the same.

I never got into the Sideshow game when the LOTR figures came out. So for that reason I don't want to buy an older figure to get Gandalf the grey, especially since it won't even come close to the quality of the Asmus version. I am a patient man, and I will wait, and if Asmus doesn't release it, its no big deal. I like Gandalf the white just the same.

Sorry, but SSC's Gandalf the Grey is comparable to anything any company is putting out and is superior to everything we've seen so far from Asmus.

Sorry, but SSC's Gandalf the Grey is comparable to anything any company is putting out and is superior to everything we've seen so far from Asmus.
That's borderline delusional.

Sorry but HT would wipe the floor with this even in the early years. (And i say this being a fan of the SSC fig)
I think if Asmus can match or surpass the SSC fig, were all in for a treat.

PA300004.jpg

img_6634.jpg

Hope this holds up

1474640_10151758769641968_1809664688_n.jpg

Last edited:

Sorry but HT would wipe the floor with this even in the early years. (And i say this being a fan of the SSC fig)

PA300004.jpg

img_6634.jpg

Hope this holds up

The difference between the 2 is astounding. The SST one looks down right cartoonish compared to the Asmus one. If the paint apps hold up it will be an amazing figure.

:lecture

and the beard of the grey gandalf is better than this...
:lecture

PA300004.jpg

img_6634.jpg

Hope this holds up

You're the delusional comparing 2 terrible production pics vs. a professional prototype one…

3014250880_eaa45aa826_o.jpg

review_12gandalf_1b.jpg

You're the delusional comparing 2 terrible production pics vs. a professional prototype one…

So, the SSC figure looks bad in full light, but covered in shadow it looks good??

Hmmm. . . :dunno

My Hasbro figs look the same as my Hot Toys figs when the lights are turned off.

THe sideshow figures always took a huge hit with the paint apps. In my opinion the sculpts were in the decent to good range but the paint apps would always bring them down. At the time of his release Gandalf was probably one of the best figures Sideshow had ever done as far as pulling off a complete figure and if you compare him to the sculpt details of Hot Toys figures at the time he wasn't too far off. If Sideshow had put him on a HT body and had Hot Toys paint Gandalf's head sculpt he could have passed for a Hot Toys product.

The new scuplt shows a lot more fine detail and wrinkles but remember this is a prototype, we don't know how much of the detail will carry over to the production and how well the paint apps will be.

I gotta agree with Dave that the SS Gandalf figure holds up quite well.

It actually does. The Paint app looks a little dated, but other than that it looks good. It's probably the only SSC LOTR figure that I'm still looking to get at some point. SSC sculpts Gandalf really well andThe GTG Premium format looks great too.

I agree the paint apps are just a little dated compared to today's but as a whole the figure still looks awesome.

Back