Asmus Toys: Gandalf the White

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know how you guys do it? No way do I have the patience to wait to get stuff shipped if I know it's there.

It helps that I have absolutely ZERO ROOM to display any of this stuff! :lol

Major reorganization of my collection room is definitely needed. Might have to say goodbye to some older pieces ...

It helped for me that it was Gurtiz in the pile of loot. If it had been Gandalf or WK I wouldn't have been able to wait. Don't get me wrong I really want Gurtiz or else I wouldn't have bought him but he was a really nice bonus and not as critical as a main cast member.

Ok just got mine at work. Sorry no pics. Just a couple comments as I'm not taking the whole think out at work. The head sculpt is narrower than it should be but not by much. With that said I think it is a very nice sculpt and the paints apps are very good. I am a cheerleader for this line though so your opinion may differ. What is bad though is the way it sits on top of the neck. Wor-Gar has said he thought it sat too high. It does and then some. There is at least a 1/16" gap showing from bottom of sculpt and top of neck. I think the cup part inside of sculpt need to be set deeper. Another comment is the sword. It's nice to have the sturdiness of metal but it is much too shiny. May try to dull it down somehow. Maybe dull cote? I'm never happy spending this kind of money on a figure but I think once I have him all set up I won't regret it.

Well, if putting the socket into the head deeper isn't possible, I'll modify the neck plug and make it shorter if it's a standard dumbell type. I've done it before. Cut one of the plugs/balls off that goes into the neck and drill a hole in it slightly larger than the dumbell post. Slid the plug over the post and adjust the height. Once you get the plug where you want it, glue it in place. Retains all the articulation without modifying the figure too drastically.

Again, all contingent on the neck post set up.

Hope that helps a bit.

Well, if putting the socket into the head deeper isn't possible, I'll modify the neck plug and make it shorter if it's a standard dumbell type. I've done it before. Cut one of the plugs/balls off that goes into the neck and drill a hole in it slightly larger than the dumbell post. Slid the plug over the post and adjust the height. Once you get the plug where you want it, glue it in place. Retains all the articulation without modifying the figure too drastically.

Again, all contingent on the neck post set up.

Hope that helps a bit.

Yes that helps tremendously. It is a standard dumbell post so that should work.

So where's the rest of your review.

Not getting mine until Weds.
Sorry but I won't even get it put together till at least the weekend if then. From pics posted I was already happy with the outfit. The head sculpt was the important part to me. I know there were some complaints about the glued on sections of hair. It's not seamless but it looks pretty good. The biggest issue to me is the gap at the head sculpt neck connection. I don't know why they would release it like that. I guess the same reason they thought releasing the Witch King body as is. Hope they get a handle on these big QC problems.

Problem with me and reviews is I'm pretty easy to please. I'm just happy to have more LOTR figures. Now don't get me wrong. If it completely misses the mark like Aragorn did then I'll complain also. A sculpt for me doesn't have to be 100% as long as it's close. All the stink about Han Solo? I think it looks great and for the life of me don't understand the complaints.

If you're easy to please and you still say the face is squished, that makes me nervous. :panic:

Anyway, I'll definitely dremel higher into the head -- if there's room -- to see if I can get the head to sit lower. Otherwise I'm not opposed to simply snapping off the neck plug and merely resting the head on the actual neck. The plastics often hold a fine grip. These bodies are hardly worth keeping pristine anyway. I'd rather have a broken neck joint then a head that's floating high above the neckline. A whole new body -- again -- is always an options as well.

If you're easy to please and you still say the face is squished, that makes me nervous. :panic:

Anyway, I'll definitely dremel higher into the head -- if there's room -- to see if I can get the head to sit lower. Otherwise I'm not opposed to simply snapping off the neck plug and merely resting the head on the actual neck. The plastics often hold a fine grip. These bodies are hardly worth keeping pristine anyway. I'd rather have a broken neck joint then a head that's floating high above the neckline. A whole new body -- again -- is always an options as well.
I honestly don't think most people will have a problem with the head sculpt. It's easily recognizable who it's supposed to be. Just a little more gaunt in the face then he should be. I would have loved if it turned out like the prototype but seeing what Asmus has done to this point I didn't expect it. I even stated that it would probably lose some of it's likeness from prototype to finished product.

The outfit is very nice with some nice detailing and texture. Yes the vest is not screen accurate but again I posted from the start that it didn't bother me. Do I think it is worth the price tag? Hell no do I think the bits of cloth and plastic are worth 170 bucks! But I'm still going to collect because I enjoy it and that's what makes it worthwhile.

I managed to extort a custom vest from mom (holy mommy) and now I'm happy with my GtW. :lol

DSC_0244_zps8776c186.jpg

DSC_0245_zpsed2a123b.jpg

I just received mine. One of the boots dropped off as I took the figure out of the box. The problem is the peg was not inserted into the boot. I can't seem to get it in so every time I pick the figure up the boot falls off. If there a trick to inserting the peg into the boot? IMG_20140930_173428065_HDR.jpg IMG_20140930_173524199.jpg

Back