Asmus Toys: Gandalf the White

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have to say the in-hand pics are a bit underwhelming. It doesn't look bad by a long shot, just about 90% what it should have been. There seem to be some changes from the proto and the hair looks pretty bad. Looks like I'll eventually be sending it out for some aftermarket customizing. I'd always planned to have the hair and beard modded with real hair, but also looks like a repaint may be in order as well as lightening the stitching and maybe a body swap. Hoping Asmus steps up its quality a little more on future releases. It's still early in the line, so I figure they are spinning up to speed. Just keep getting better and collectors will support the line.

Have to say the in-hand pics are a bit underwhelming. It doesn't look bad by a long shot, just about 90% what it should have been. There seem to be some changes from the proto and the hair looks pretty bad. Looks like I'll eventually be sending it out for some aftermarket customizing. I'd always planned to have the hair and beard modded with real hair, but also looks like a repaint may be in order as well as lightening the stitching and maybe a body swap. Hoping Asmus steps up its quality a little more on future releases. It's still early in the line, so I figure they are spinning up to speed. Just keep getting better and collectors will support the line.

People shouldn't be having to extensively repaint/bodyswap/mod an almost $200 figure right out of the box.

Well, I think there has been too much negativity lately about this ,
I'm not sure if I'll buy Gandalf the White, but some of the criticism is outright mean,
and may sever the goodwill that the company has with us collectors.

Well, I think there has been too much negativity lately about this ,
I'm not sure if I'll buy Gandalf the White, but some of the criticism is outright mean,
and may sever the goodwill that the company has with us collectors.

That's what I was talking about earlier. Being constructive and respectful when making ones complaints. If you all want ASMUS to stick around that will be the only way.

This company listens and communicates directly with their fans. I've yet to see HT respond on their Fb page, let alone forums like these so I have absolute confidence Asmus will end up one of my favorites. I'll get gandalf to support the line and show my respect to a company that acts PROFESSIONAL.

That's what I was talking about earlier. Being constructive and respectful when making ones complaints. If you all want ASMUS to stick around that will be the only way.

I'm a huge Tolkien fan, and even when I can't get everything, I sure still hope that there are options, different choices.
Its actually a great thing that we have different companies competing , so we , as collectors and customers, can choose the ones that we want the most.
Its great that its been a 2 way channel, with feedback from the collectors, and that the company has been trying to deliver in response to our feedback.

I've ordered Eowyn, the Nazgul on steed combo, and I'm waiting for Aragorn as well. I don't really want Gandalf the White at the moment, I'll wait for Gandalf the grey (and obviously - Sauron!).

Its a company , and its a product , but the artists and people involved have feelings.

This company listens and communicates directly with their fans. I've yet to see HT respond on their Fb page, let alone forums like these so I have absolute confidence Asmus will end up one of my favorites. I'll get gandalf to support the line and show my respect to a company that acts PROFESSIONAL.

I think a lot of the issue people are taking is that as this figure was getting made, the vest was revealed with dark thread. A lot of people took issue to it and Asmus later revealed a new proto with lighter thread. All of a sudden the figure went out the door and the in hand photos from China that came out showed that it had dark threading again. Asmus is receptive to these things, which is why I voice my opinions about it. If none voices an opinion nothing will be known. I have been a supporter of the brand for a long time before even the Lord of the Rings line became theirs. Heck I even have their "Night Guard" figure lol.

I'm a huge Tolkien fan, and even when I can't get everything, I sure still hope that there are options, different choices.
Its actually a great thing that we have different companies competing , so we , as collectors and customers, can choose the ones that we want the most.
Its great that its been a 2 way channel, with feedback from the collectors, and that the company has been trying to deliver in response to our feedback.

I've ordered Eowyn, the Nazgul on steed combo, and I'm waiting for Aragorn as well. I don't really want Gandalf the White at the moment, I'll wait for Gandalf the grey (and obviously - Sauron!).

Its a company , and its a product , but the artists and people involved have feelings.

I understand. I am also a huge Tolkien/Jackson/Middle-earth fan so I want to see good quality items for my fellow fans of Middle-earth.

People shouldn't be having to extensively repaint/bodyswap/mod an almost $200 figure right out of the box.

Many of the changes I'm talking about would be a matter of preference not necessity. Changing to real hair was always in the plans. All the other things I'll reserve until I actually see if in hand. I probably won't be doing anything for at least six months, so will look at best solutions others come up with. Will be nice to have a GtW in the collection.

Like I said before,
we did change the vest to silver stitch, because it looked right on the actual thing rather than pure white.
And I still feel the visibility on the stitch is rather low. At least, no bothering obvious.

DSCN8285.JPG

DSCN8284.JPG

Like I said before,
we did change the vest to silver stitch, because it looked right on the actual thing rather than pure white.
And I still feel the visibility on the stitch is rather low. At least, no bothering obvious.

View attachment 128042

View attachment 128043

Nice boot detail!

Do you happen to have a pic if the robes under the vest?

Like I said before,
I think the figure looks great and look forward to receiving it. Just some friendly advice though. This is the second time that collectors were told something that in the end didn't happen. The first being The Witch Kings replacement body which honestly bothered me and the second being the stitching on the vest which doesn't bother me. I would advise not to tell us something is going to happen, but then not follow through. If the majority of the feedback Asmus Toys got on the dark stitching on the vest was negative and they said they were going to change it then they should have followed through. I can see not doing something if it's going to cost a lot of money but I can't see how using white thread instead of silver would have hurt anything.

Last edited:
I think the figure looks great and look forward to receiving it. Just some friendly advice though. This is the second time that collectors were told something that in the end didn't happen. The first being The Witch Kings replacement body which honestly bothered me and the second being the stitching on the vest which doesn't bother me. I would advise not to tell us something is going to happen, but then not follow through. If the majority of the feedback Asmus Toys got on the dark stitching on the vest was negative and they said they were going to change it then they should have followed through. I can see not doing something if it's going to cost a lot of money but I can't see how using white thread instead of silver would have hurt anything.

Witchking body is happening,
and it will be given away for free.

I understand. I am also a huge Tolkien/Jackson/Middle-earth fan so I want to see good quality items for my fellow fans of Middle-earth.

I am as well and wish to see Really Good Representations of the Characters I Love, and Don't wish to see Expensive Figures with Poor Bodies & Tailoring and Head Sculpts that look like there Unlicensed Knock-Offs.

I am as well and wish to see Really Good Representations of the Characters I Love, and Don't wish to see Expensive Figures with Poor Bodies & Tailoring and Head Sculpts that look like there Unlicensed Knock-Offs.

I understand that.

Kinda sad to see the degree of disrespect being levelled at an emerging maker and active participant in the SSF threads.

Back