Asmus Toys: Eowyn in Armor

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got mine today, and she's my first Asmus figure. I don't have time for pictures until I find her a home, but here's some first impressions.

Packaging: after years of sideshow and hot toys, the box here is a simple shoebox design with graphic. The packaging inside was foam, surprising they did not pack her in a plastic insert. For the price at this level, I kind of expected it would be. It works, but I don't see it as having the long term survivability of plastic.

The base: two bases, one plain, one decorative. Both look good, though the painted looks a bit heavy on the drybrushing.
The figure: she looks good, and the paint apps on her face are well done, no wonky eyes. The hair is a bit light, and I wonder how it would look with a light brown wash to just take off the shine. Overall, she has decent paint apps over the entire figure.

The armour is a bit sticky to the touch, and though it looks ok, it's off centre and going to need some futzing.
The chainmail cloth at the shoulders is not painted great either, with darker patches at the seams.

The sword is nice, and while some futzing is needed, it does hold in her hand well. Nice to see a metal blade as well.

My helmet is good, though the chain on the back will take some unbending, it gets a bit bunched up in the foam.
The cape is livable, that's about it.
My joints are tight, and she holds a pose, but the lack of articulation in the boots limits this a bit. I guess I've been spoilt by the two part boots on Han lately.

Mine came with the extra body for the witch king. i ordered from BBTS and it was just wrapped in a plastic bag in the bottom of the box. It's not in the box with Eyown, just the shipping box.It is tight, so I'll need to hunt down a witch king one day.

Overall, a nice figure, not perfect, not Hot toys quality either, but she is one of my favourites from the trilogy and one I never thought we'd get in this scale, so I'm happy.

"My friend, you had horses, and deed of arms, and the free fields; but she, being born in the body of a maid, had a spirit and courage at least the match of yours. Yet she was doomed to wait upon an old man, whom she loved as a father, and watch him falling into a mean dishonoured dotage; and her part seemed to her more ignoble than that of the staff he leaned on."

11070264_806631012739766_4441142202130107559_n.jpg
"White Lady of Rohan" - art by ‪#‎liga‬-marta ‪#‎deviantart‬
"I am no man"

Wow that is a fantastic art piece. Eowyn was always my favorite lady in the LOTR and one of my favorite in all literature. When I was a little kid I missed a lot of the subtle romance Tolkien had placed in the books for Arwen & Aragorn but Eowyn always stood out. Even at 8 I appricated the depth he gave her.

I finally shipped my pile of loot and she arrived today. Fantastic figure in my opinion. I am still not sold on rooted hair but in my opinion her hair looks better than the hair on my ACI Aragorn.

Got mine last week, but I haven't had a chance to unbox her.
Just had a quick look yesterday.

Overall first impression is that it's a very nice figure.
The HS looks great, as do the armor and accessories.
Her legs do look a bit too long, and the tight pants give her a bit of a Barbie look. I think I will start looking for a new body and some new pants pretty soon.

Hopefully I'll have time to unbox her today.

Had some time to unbox and futz a bit, and well, while it is a nice figure, it really does fall short on a number of things.

I'm probably going to sound very negative, but let's just lay it out and see where it takes us.

Head Sculpt
I think this is the single best aspect of the figure. I really like the sculpt and the paint apps. While she does look slightly heavy on the make up front, it really isn't distracting IMHO, and the paint apps are nice and clean. The hair works very well, although it would probably look better if it weren't so shiny, which makes it look very doll-y.

Body
I really don't like it. Legs are too long, neck is too skinny, just typical 1/6 "idealised" woman proportions. I wish I could still get Triad's Eves, while they had lots of problems, at least the proportions were much better.

Clothing
The cape (if it can be called that) and pants (leggings, actually) suck. Absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever. The rest seems to work pretty well. I like the chain mail, although the hemming in is baffling, as TankGirl pointed out. The dress looks good and I like the texture.

Gear/Accessories
From a certain distance, everything looks pretty good, but if you get a bit close the failings become apparent.
The boots are some ridiculous hard plastic that negates any ankle movement, why this is so is beyond me. The scabbard and sword look nice at first glance, but the detailing is a bit soft, same with the vest/armour. The helmet seems pretty nice and the chin strap works perfectly. The baldric really is puzzling... why did they purposely do it wrong? It just doesn't hang right and it's impossible to fix (unless you sculpt your own pieces or buy a loose set). I find that really annoying. The whiled is fine, but, again, quite basic. Maybe that's the way it was in the movie as well. The base and broken shield are nice extras, but not very detailed.

Paint apps
Overall they're quite acceptable. Thankfully they did a very good job on the head sculpt, but otherwise they don't look like they belong on a 180 dollar figure (give or take a few dollars).

So I guess my second Asmus LOTR figure leaves me with the same mixed feelings as the first one I got (Witch King).
It's an amazing character, so I'm thankful to Asmus for giving me the opportunity to have one, but it's still pretty far from the main players in 1/6 collectibles. This is not Hot Toys level, it's not Sideshow level, it's not DiD, ACI or Kaustic Plastik level.
Finances permitting, I will continue to support Asmus on characters I really want, because they are taking a chance with this license and deserve some recognition, but I will be very choosy.

Here's hoping to see continuous improvement from Asmus, and a long and rich line of LOTR and Hobbit figures.

Really appreciate the review !
we will work on the weak points and make the next figure (Bard) better.

Thank you guys for taking on this license and doing these characters!
I feel this is a labor of love for you guys, and I really wish all the best for the company and this line.

Looking forward to your next figures!

Yes, it is nearly ready,
and it will be really awsome.

Can't wait! This is by far my favorite little line. I am really liking the depth of variety so far although a certain pair of hobbits and one dwarf are badly needed and at some point I wouldn't mind changing out the entire fellowship with updated Asmus versions. Keep up the good work!

Please this line needs to keep going. I'm not sure if I will get the Bard since the Hobbit ended up being rather weak upon reflection, and need to feel that the line will have dept before hopping in, although will be getting Tauriel regardless. I understand why Bard is being done as it doesn't require a special Dwarf or Hobbit body, which I'm assuming are coming. Right now I'd just like to get LotR done with the Fellowship completed as well as, Arwen, Faramir, Galadriel, MoS, Lurrtz, and a few others. Then more than happy to turn attention to Hobbit characters.

Please this line needs to keep going. I'm not sure if I will get the Bard since the Hobbit ended up being rather weak upon reflection, and need to feel that the line will have dept before hopping in, although will be getting Tauriel regardless. I understand why Bard is being done as it doesn't require a special Dwarf or Hobbit body, which I'm assuming are coming. Right now I'd just like to get LotR done with the Fellowship completed as well as, Arwen, Faramir, Galadriel, MoS, Lurrtz, and a few others. Then more than happy to turn attention to Hobbit characters.

We have the same mixed feeling for Bard too,
it is a very well played and presented character in the movie,
but the movie itself was not quite expected.

However, Hobbit is a line that is doomed to lose money,
no matter how much we want or how much we love it,
most of the characters are just not going to work out as collectible.

Back