Asmus- 2017 Comic Con pictures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly guys, I believed asmus doesn't have actor likeness license,
That's why they have to go this way.
Show me one of their lotr figures that looks spot on.
They have to get it close enough but not more than 95% likeness

Hmm, pre-ordered Boromir a couple days ago. But the hairline on that figure looks terrible. :(

Something to keep in mind with this display is that this isn't Asmus' booth. They're displayed in a small area of Diamond Select's booth. So it doesn't appear that they've been futzed to look their best, but rather just all crowded into one small display area. I'm sure all of these figures would and could look much better with a bit more care in the presentation.

The only thing asmus need is a better sculptor and paint application.
Why is it taking them so long to get this right is a mystery to me.
Even threezero has better sculpts.
The Negan from walking dead is spot on.
And most of the game of thrones figures are almost 100% accurate.
What is threezero company doing that Asmus can't get right?
It's been a few years now since asmus is struggling with head sculpts.
Them releasing a 2nd version of the sculpt is ADMITTING THEY GOT IT WRONG THE FIRST TIME. But they continue to get it wrong again.
This is a shame for Lotr fans since we have no other 1/6 scale option.
Just a big shame.r.

This will save you from having to read my drivel.

Them releasing a 2nd version of the sculpt is ADMITTING THEY GOT IT WRONG THE FIRST TIME. But they continue to get it wrong again.

You're judging all the figures on poorly lit iPhone photos. And some of the figures are possibly rush-jobs for the con, and are horrendously clumped together and unfutzed.

We should wait for better pics.

Even threezero has better sculpts....
And most of the game of thrones figures are almost 100% accurate.

ThreeZero doesn't have a better reputation with their GoT headsculpts. Just read any of the figures' thread and you'll see people complaining as much there.

I had all four GoT figures and ended up selling them because i just didn't like the heads (except Tyrion, he was nice). Jon Snow had the worst headsculpt in my entire collection. I really didn't like Jaime either and tried to find a custom replacement with no luck. Ned was average at most. People laugh at the recent pics of the Hound. I do agree that Daenerys looks good.

The difference is in the time between releases. I think that Asmus rushes some figures out.

ThreeZero is the opposite. People complain all the time that when they show a figure, it takes forever to release it. And even if people don't like a sculpt, you won't see them try to rework it. Jon Snow sucked big time in the beginning and it still sucked at release. They don't care.

This AGAIN?! Come on guys. I love these threads but it starts to get boring reading the same old conspiracy theory over and over again.

Moving right along. I cannot wait for Gimli! Most wanted figure for me :)
I wonder if they will do metal weapons for him? Looks like his axe has a plastic bend to it in the photo.

You're judging all the figures on poorly lit iPhone photos. And some of the figures are possibly rush-jobs for the con, and are horrendously clumped together and unfutzed.

We should wait for better pics.

This. I almost wish I hadn't posted the pics. The pics are iPhone pics, so there is likely distortion. The figures are at the bottom of poorly lit cabinet with no futzing at all. Please keep that in mind.

To answer the question, they do look better in person.

About the hairline on boromir it is indeed terrible as is aragorn which no one seemed to take pictures of.

This is exactly why I skipped the slim version and redid the real hair on mine myslef.

The proto on this was good but I knew with their production issues and the limitations of mass market rooted hair technology it would be a bust in the end.

The real hair that everyone gets jazzed about that is trendy with 1/6 now cannot be replicated mass market.

Firstly it's all Tibetan lamb, toy companies need to use synthetics which is essentially plastic and that's why it looks thick and plasticy

Secondly custom hair is either glued on in small chunks at a time or punched in. And to look right careful selection of each part of the fur needs to be done to make sure it follows the right angles to look natural. You would be surprised how the giant clump of fur looks identical to how you found it when you are done and all the good parts are picked over, it's then useless. Then you have to treat it with product, style it and nuance it.

Why do know all this? Because I do if and I'm pretty good at it. It's a fricking nightmare and it takes hours and hours and hours and hours and hours for one single sculpt. This is why the guys who take comissions rightly charge an arm a leg and a foot.

So long story short? You want rooted hair but it will never never look like the amazing custom stuff you see out there.

Especially when this company can't seem to get a head out there without it being squished and distorted to high hell.

As predicted, Diamond Select has a super ****** presentation. What was weird is that the Hateful 8 got a higher case with better lighting and better placement of figures. Star Ace had an actual glass case with fewer figures in it that this and I had to kneel down on one knee to get any picture.

That being said, Gimli looked really good in person. I thought Boromir looked as expected but with a super crap futz job so he could have been much better.

It became apparent to me that the Hobbits had rushed paint jobs for the show and were in no way even close to the worst of their production paint apps based on the figures I have so far. I am hoping when they are official revealed that we see paint apps on par with Saruman, Grishnik, and Thranduil.

Legolas looked fine, I am glad I eventually pre-ordered him despite desiring rooted hair.

I took cell phone pics as well.. here are a few but I am sure they will only bring more ire from those predisposed to hate on them.
20170720_130452.jpg
20170720_130506.jpg
20170720_130510.jpg
20170720_130516.jpg
20170720_130520.jpg

Attachments

• 20170720_130506.jpg
    20170720_130506.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 122
As predicted, Diamond Select has a super ****** presentation. What was weird is that the Hateful 8 got a higher case with better lighting and better placement of figures. Star Ace had an actual glass case with fewer figures in it that this and I had to kneel down on one knee to get any picture.

That being said, Gimli looked really good in person. I thought Boromir looked as expected but with a super crap futz job so he could have been much better.

It became apparent to me that the Hobbits had rushed paint jobs for the show and were in no way even close to the worst of their production paint apps based on the figures I have so far. I am hoping when they are official revealed that we see paint apps on par with Saruman, Grishnik, and Thranduil.

Legolas looked fine, I am glad I eventually pre-ordered him despite desiring rooted hair.

I took cell phone pics as well.. here are a few but I am sure they will only bring more ire from those predisposed to hate on them.
my neck hurts!!

Back