Asmus - 1/6 Gollum/Smeagol

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trust me - it wasn't an attack on you.

Asmus needs to learn from their mistakes and learn to stop pushing customers away in favor of not losing money over cutting corners. They have competition now and it's now or never to right the ship. We need to make our voices here. The Gollum situation must be made right and the Gil-Galad figure must be perfect with no shortcuts or they are going to lose a tremendous amount of the people who are still loyal to them.

My dream of Haldir is all but dead and at this point I need to pray InArt will make Boromir and Eowyn if I want them in my collection. So I'm willing to criticize as much as anyone else now.

Still, I hate the internet at times because it's easy to be mean when you're just looking at words on a screen and not a human face. I'm sure the rep is not the decision maker and if he decides to stop coming here, we have lost whatever line of communication we have to Asmus, however insignificant it may be at times.

I understand, and thank you.
About that, I feel like I've mentioned them more than once about this, and still got no response anyway, so I'll leave it to those who really got affected by this issue, if they want to mention asmus rep about this issue here.

I was a loyal asmus customer, bought their figure since the early days. It really hurts when they did their shady practices to the point that I stopped buying from them, but again, I don't want them to shut down. I agree with you that asmus needs to learn, however, after so many disasters.. I don't know if they are learning..
But yes, we need to make our voices here. Which is what I've been doing, that even some members here labeled me as asmus hater.
I still have the private conversation with asmus here in this forum, and if you want, I can show you how I respond to them. Not with hate, at all. I responded politely, but in the end they stopped replying to me after I show them valid proof of their doings.

I am sorry to know that your dream of Haldir is dead. I hope not, I hope asmus really learn this time and start over, doing everything correctly, in the right way. I saw their recent Thranduil -and while I wish they choose a more calm and regal look instead of a bit angry-, it looks pretty decent. I just hope there will be no issues with the mass production piece.

I do hope InArt will make Arwen, Galadriel and Saruman. Will be a dream come true to have those characters in InArt level!

I understand your concern about asmus rep and the line of communication here. Hence me agreeing to stop mentioning them about this issue. But what @monkeyjedi said is also true: "in which case I'm sure he/she can tell us our concerns are being heard, that would be enough".
He, and many another customer who has the figure in order, or have not open it, like @BACON! has the right to be heard, to have this issue addressed.

So I think as a company, asmus needs to address the issue here, after more than two weeks since the issue first heard. That's why they have a representative in this board at the first place.

hi all,

what we have learnt that about this issue is that is happening in some extreme environment,
May be the exreme heat, but it is for certain that is occured to very little portion of the production.
We have only 3 cases in hand, and we have checked all the remainly stock, the defected proportion is about 1 in 300.

However, please don't worry if it happens to you, all you need is to let me know (via forum) or email to [email protected],
we can send you replacements free of charge.

I am sure many people in this forum or not would know we have been taking care of the customers from day one.

Thank you for finally addressing this issue here, asmus.

I have no idea about the extreme environment/heat, but if you read the posts here, some of the members here with the discolorations keep the figures inbox, unopened since arrived and still had discoloration in the figures when opened. Some did not have it at first, but start having it even though the figure is not displayed under direct sunlight or light source.

Also if you read the posts in this thread, there are at least 6 members here with the discoloration issue. I don't know if your 3 cases in hand included them, or not. If not, then there are 9 cases so far.

The free replacement is a good solution, I certainly hope that the replacement body is already tested and will not experience discoloration over time. (y)

hi all,

what we have learnt that about this issue is that is happening in some extreme environment,
May be the exreme heat, but it is for certain that is occured to very little portion of the production.
We have only 3 cases in hand, and we have checked all the remainly stock, the defected proportion is about 1 in 300.

However, please don't worry if it happens to you, all you need is to let me know (via forum) or email to [email protected],
we can send you replacements free of charge.

I am sure many people in this forum or not would know we have been taking care of the customers from day one.

No chance it's extreme heat. My collection is in a climate controlled basement. The figures have never left my house since I've received it.

That is a good possibility.
But 6 cases of discoloration here, when asmus said the defected proportion is about 1 in 300 is pretty concerning indeed.

I highly doubt that anyone with a little grey matter in their brain would pose their figures in direct/indirect sunlight and doubt even more that the temperature in any given room where people permanently live and have the financial background to collect figures would be above 28-30 Celsius ( even that would need many days of extreme heat and/or bad insulation, i dont have AC but even after 7-10 days of more than 35 Celsius the inside temperature was not above 27).
You cant really call that extreme heat anyway.

extreme heat may be happening during shipping, not neccessarily under display.
In fact, it is hotter in the package than exposed.
But then wouldnt this happen in more cases?
One guy said he received his package in March and didnt open it up until now. There is no place in the Northern Hemisphere where its that hot in March, except for deserts like Sahara etc.

One guy said he received his package in March and didnt open it up until now. There is no place in the Northern Hemisphere where its that hot in March, except for deserts like Sahara etc.

We offer free replacements to ALL our defected products from the first day,
it will not change.

Whats the tea with this Gollum release?
I've not been keeping up and I don't really have the time to comb through 40+ pages [though I am trying] - but I get the sense there has been some drama with this figure?
Anyone clued in feel like catching me up?
- It sounds like Asmus are offering replacements which is good. Hope no one is in a dire situation

Maybe asmus means from the factory in China to the destination area, the box in the container is exposed to extreme heat, before finally reaching the customer.
That is possible.
However, there are members who has perfect figure, displayed it for weeks, and suddenly there's discoloration. Does this means the change in the body under extreme heat during shipping takes time (can slowly discolor when in display) or maybe there is another cause?

We offer free replacements to ALL our defected products from the first day,
it will not change.
This is including the shipping and import custom tax?

Whats the tea with this Gollum release?
I've not been keeping up and I don't really have the time to comb through 40+ pages [though I am trying] - but I get the sense there has been some drama with this figure?
Anyone clued in feel like catching me up?
- It sounds like Asmus are offering replacements which is good. Hope no one is in a dire situation
There are 6 members here who has their Gollum/Smeagol figure discoloration. Some kept the figure unboxed since arrival, finds out the color changed when they open it, and some has it in display, in perfect condition when they open it, but slowly has discoloration in various parts: body, hands and feet.

Maybe asmus means from the factory in China to the destination area, the box in the container is exposed to extreme heat, before finally reaching the customer.
That is possible.
However, there are members who has perfect figure, displayed it for weeks, and suddenly there's discoloration. Does this means the change in the body under extreme heat during shipping takes time (can slowly discolor when in display) or maybe there is another cause?

This is including the shipping and import custom tax?

There are 6 members here who has their Gollum/Smeagol figure discoloration. Some kept the figure unboxed since arrival, finds out the color changed when they open it, and some has it in display, in perfect condition when they open it, but slowly has discoloration in various parts: body, hands and feet.
yeah I thought they mean it like that, but then in a container many figures are traveling together so why does it happen only a to a few figures? And why doesnt it appear instantly as soon as someone opens up the box? Because it took some time for some to see the discoloration.
I dont think we will get to the bottom of it why it happens though, If Asmus is really covering all the costs and sends replacement thats good I think.

Last edited:
yeah I thoguht they mean it like that, but then in a cotnainer many figures are traveling together so why does it happen only a to a few figures? And why doesnt it appear instantly as soon as someone opens up the box? Because it took some time for some to see the discoloration.
I dont think we will get to the bottom of it why it happens though, If Asmus is really covering all the costs and sends replacement thats good I think.
Ah yes, that make sense.
Maybe there are various degrees of defects that caused the discolorations, related to the chemical that coated the rubber body?
So maybe not all affected after the extreme heat, and for some, it takes more time for the chemical to dissipate.

Well, hopefully the replacement body will be free of any issues.
If that is so, I agree it's a good solution for this.

Okay - I caught up, gosh its been a few things with that TNS thing, the seamless legs not popping on for some collectors, the skin tone and hair issues and the discolouration is a major issue.

Can I suggest a possible solution? @Asmus @batsheva

its clear that the issue is the rubber with the seamless body - so maybe Asmus should offer a solid plastic static statue of Gollum [with cloth lioncloth] in 1/6 scale with the ability to swap its heads - all the ones from the Gollum/Smeagol set + the 3 new teased expressions?
That way Asmus can put out a Gollum with none of the above issues, it ought to be a LOT cheaper to produce and buy like their Balrog was due to just being a solid piece of plastic with no articulation or other technical points, and they can focus on making the paint app/hair perfect - and they can offer these at a discount for those who purchased Smeagol/Gollum and give them for free to those with the discolouration/Quality control issues.
An added benefit is that people who want a Gollum but have been scared away from/were never drawn to this release could then buy it and have a 1/6 Gollum/Smeagol in their collection.

How does that sound?
Just an idea.

Okay - I caught up, gosh its been a few things with that TNS thing, the seamless legs not popping on for some collectors, the skin tone and hair issues and the discolouration is a major issue.

Can I suggest a possible solution? @Asmus @batsheva

its clear that the issue is the rubber with the seamless body - so maybe Asmus should offer a solid plastic static statue of Gollum [with cloth lioncloth] in 1/6 scale with the ability to swap its heads - all the ones from the Gollum/Smeagol set + the 3 new teased expressions?
That way Asmus can put out a Gollum with none of the above issues, it ought to be a LOT cheaper to produce and buy like their Balrog was due to just being a solid piece of plastic with no articulation or other technical points, and they can focus on making the paint app/hair perfect - and they can offer these at a discount for those who purchased Smeagol/Gollum and give them for free to those with the discolouration/Quality control issues.
An added benefit is that people who want a Gollum but have been scared away from/were never drawn to this release could then buy it and have a 1/6 Gollum/Smeagol in their collection.

How does that sound?
Just an idea.
I think that is a great idea.
Me personally, prefer a 1/6 Gollum figure than a 1/6 Gollum statue, but it might works for those who doesn't mind as long as they have a 1/6 Gollum for their collection. :)

Both of mine are turning blue as well...
20230801_112727.jpg
20230801_113327.jpg

i only opened Smeagol, and put it right back in the box- hadn't even bothered to open up Gollum- both still in their boxes- held in a pitch black, temp controlled room- 72f, 47% humidity.
I have purchased every single LOTR fig Asmus has produced but i too am now tired of all the bull$hit!
I have had many, many problems with Asmus over the years- figures sent to wrong address, missing parts, bad quality control etc.
Asmus had been making good, but its almost like a part time job getting stuff sorted- and so frequently!
The latest Eowyn deluxe arrived with missing sofa legs- Asmus sorted...
But after much back and forth, with photos provided over my pale, unacceptable Frodo head, and a promise of a replacement,
it never materialized...still waiting...
Now this- Asmus, please explain why i should continue to support such unprofessionalism?!

Last edited:
Back