Statue Arkham City Batman DC Collectibles Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The money shot :)

25095525423_0f2f4fd624_b.jpg

So when your brother glued this cape back on, did he use Super Glue? Or something else? Yeah, I will be fixing mine too.

So when your brother glued this cape back on, did he use Super Glue? Or something else? Yeah, I will be fixing mine too.
If your going to do it use an acrylic gap filling glue or epoxy. Superglue does not hold as well. Also if there are any gaps or it does not sit flush and undectable to the eye you'll need epoxy sculpt or magic sculpt to fill those and need to at least repaint the area.

If your going to do it use an acrylic gap filling glue or epoxy. Superglue does not hold as well. Also if there are any gaps or it does not sit flush and undectable to the eye you'll need epoxy sculpt or magic sculpt to fill those and need to at least repaint the area.

Acrylic gap filling glue or epoxy? What is that?

I have the Aves and repainting shouldn't be an issue. Just have to make sure this joint doesn't re crack

Acrylic gap filling glue or epoxy? What is that?

I have the Aves and repainting shouldn't be an issue. Just have to make sure this joint doesn't re crack

Epoxy's are usually a two step mixture. They bond very well and tend keep much better and longer than say a super glue. Generally you can get them at just about any hardware store.

17a4eb8f-f064-4af5-9195-0645201f1f40_300.jpg

Acrylic gap filling glues are made from cyanoacrylate. Like the name sounds they dry to a very hard acrylic and bind very well. It's easily sand-able if you use too much as well. Some people use Zap-a-gap but I prefer BSI Insta-cure+. It does set much faster so you need to know exactly what you're doing but I find that easier than waiting for something to set. I also used Insta-cure spray which takes the set time from say 15-20 second to instant.

bsi108ca_wm.jpg

Epoxy's are usually a two step mixture. They bond very well and tend keep much better and longer than say a super glue. Generally you can get them at just about any hardware store.

17a4eb8f-f064-4af5-9195-0645201f1f40_300.jpg

Acrylic gap filling glues are made from cyanoacrylate. Like the name sounds they dry to a very hard acrylic and bind very well. It's easily sand-able if you use too much as well. Some people use Zap-a-gap but I prefer BSI Insta-cure+. It does set much faster so you need to know exactly what you're doing but I find that easier than waiting for something to set. I also used Insta-cure spray which takes the set time from say 15-20 second to instant.

bsi108ca_wm.jpg

Looks like I brought my question to the right place!

Thank you very much

Thank you very much

No problem, I do repairs and repainting. I generally tell people not to do it themselves if they haven't before because I see people make mistakes all the time but you seem pretty prepared so if you have any questions feel free to PM me. Best advice I can give you, plan it out and take your time.

Thanks... I'm getting AC Harley repainted a bit too, but for now the cover girls one will have to stand in :)

25095164353_ca20e6a598_b.jpg

Damn it, I wanted to be the first known person to do a high quality repaint on this Joker version.

Your brother killed it though, especially the purple suit and shoes!

Damn it, I wanted to be the first known person to do a high quality repaint on this Joker version.

Your brother killed it though, especially the purple suit and shoes!

Thanks, I'm really happy with how he turned out!

Thank you very much

I don't have anything to add, as I didn't do the repairs myself. I will say from the description and WIP pics, it didn't look easy. Pins, putty, sanding, paint... all on a very difficult surface (all those bumps and folds in his cape, at least where mine broke). GL!

Isnt cyanoacrylate "super glue" type adhesive? Ive always heard they are hard to sand. Id e careful with any overfill or excess. Also what might cause the cape to re crack is the movement from back to front, maybe consider creating a support from the middle back of the body to the middle of the cape. Maybe dont even have to be permanent, wedge some foam or something. Other wise while moving the statue around if you accidentally bump the cape, cracks may reform o the paint/putty.

Isnt cyanoacrylate "super glue" type adhesive? Ive always heard they are hard to sand. Id e careful with any overfill or excess. Also what might cause the cape to re crack is the movement from back to front, maybe consider creating a support from the middle back of the body to the middle of the cape. Maybe dont even have to be permanent, wedge some foam or something. Other wise while moving the statue around if you accidentally bump the cape, cracks may reform o the paint/putty.
They are the same family. But most "superglues" have different additives which can change how the react. Generally using small syripes of 120grit sand paper easily takes off any excess glue. You always, always need to be cateful sanding but generally I've had no issues. When I go to do mine, I have a few projects ahead of him, I'll post pictures of the process.

I was able to remove his gauntlet blades without too much trouble for easier access. They are made out of real metal, cool. I used the glue Josh-A-Tron recommended. Sanded down the excess, and added a big fat gusset of Aves Apoxy Sculpt so his cape is probably stronger than before.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/FNLUU4] glue by dougabco, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GzRqQC] 20160408_165718 by dougabco, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GJ5Vev] 20160408_165616 by dougabco, on Flickr[/URL]

Now onto matching the factory paint. After much testing, I settled on this formula using Liquitex acrylic paints: 3 parts Primary Blue, 1 part Cerulean Blue Hue, and a smidge of Mars Black. The goal is to paint the cape the same color as the head, then shadow the cape with more Mars Black. Seal it with Tesors Dull Coat and it matches very closely.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GzRpD9] 20160408_165651 by dougabco, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GJ5VVF] 20160408_165702 by dougabco, on Flickr[/URL]

Now onto matching the factory paint. After much testing, I settled on this formula using Liquitex acrylic paints: 3 parts Primary Blue, 1 part Cerulean Blue Hue, and a smidge of Mars Black. The goal is to paint the cape the same color as the head, then shadow the cape with more Mars Black. Seal it with Tesors Dull Coat and it matches very closely.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GzRpD9] 20160408_165651 by dougabco, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GJ5VVF] 20160408_165702 by dougabco, on Flickr[/URL]
Excellent work man, you can't even tell anything ever happened.

Yeah awesome Job. It looks perfect. By any chance did you purchase from a seller named extleveluknet? I just ordered the last one from them two days ago. Did they give you any money back for the damage?

Yeah awesome Job. It looks perfect. By any chance did you purchase from a seller named extleveluknet? I just ordered the last one from them two days ago. Did they give you any money back for the damage?

I think it was a different seller. They didn't bait and switch me. They offered a third back and made good. Not there fault as they wrapped it well and had the Styrofoam block in place. Didn't matter though as these things are so fragile.

I think it was a different seller. They didn't bait and switch me. They offered a third back and made good. Not there fault as they wrapped it well and had the Styrofoam block in place. Didn't matter though as these things are so fragile.

Yeah, the capes on this and the original AA Bats both had major breakage issues. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when my AA Bats arrived in one piece.

Back