ARH Studios Products, ARH/Sideshow licensed Conan pg 92

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ARH Studios Products, ARH/Sideshow new releases!

Here is the rough WIP and different views, there is still much work to be done

Poseidon ARH 12a.jpg

:slap Bro I seriously hope that was a joke question..We're talking about 3000 years ago not 3 billion :lecture Dolphins existed on this earth way before there were any humans on this planet :lecture The trident and the dolphine were sacred symbols of Poseidon so Arahom did his homework there

You have a good point there. These are the creatures that Poseidon traveled with according to engravings found in most Temples dedicated to the God of the sea..they were half horse and half serpent/dolphins. This is why the Greeks and Romans regularly sacrificed horses for Poseidon.

619.jpg

I don't see any dolphins in that picture? :dunno

Just a note Leo, dolphins were the messengers of Poseidon but never for war. They are never used in battle. :lecture The Arahom sculpt appears that they are? However, I do like the design on the base. It does look great but I would had used something else since Poseidon has a striking pose.

Poseidon ARH 07Tease.jpg

Last edited:

I don't see any dolphins in that picture? :dunno

Just a note Leo, dolphins were the messengers of Poseidon but never for war. They are never used in battle. :lecture The Arahom sculpt appears that they are? However, I do like the design on the base. It does look great but I would had used something else since Poseidon has a striking pose.

Yep, pretty much everyone agrees that the dolphins don't belong in this piece they look too docile & meek and most importantly they're not historically accurate..Poseidon did command an army of dolphins but they did NOT look like the dolphins depicted here! This is how the ancient Greeks envisioned them:
95622-050-269FC1E3.jpg
Dolphin%202a.JPG
poseidon6.gif

Last edited:

Yep, pretty much everyone agrees that the dolphins don't belong in this piece they look too docile & meek and most importantly they're not historically accurate..Poseidon did command an army of dolphins but they did NOT look like the dolphins depicted here! This is how the ancient Greeks envisioned them:
95622-050-269FC1E3.jpg
Dolphin%202a.JPG
poseidon6.gif

Errrr... Where does it say Poseidon commanded an army of dolphins? :dunno I don't believe Poseidon's dolphins where ever used for war eveeeeeeer!

Here is the fact on how these dolphins came to be. Dionysus had turned the Etruscan pirates into dolphins when he took pity of them when they jumped over board there ship (Dionysus had tramsformed the ship into a serpent). By turning them into dolphins, they were to provide help to those in need. The dolphins were also messengers for Poseidon.

I think you got the whole war thing wrong Leo? :wink1:

Errrr... Where does it say Poseidon commanded an army of dolphins? :dunno I don't believe Poseidon's dolphins where ever used for war eveeeeeeer!

Here is the fact on how these dolphins came to be. Dionysus had turned the Etruscan pirates into dolphins when he took pity of them when they jumped over board there ship (Dionysus had tramsformed the ship into a serpent). By turning them into dolphins, they were to provide help to those in need. The dolphins were also messengers for Poseidon.

I think you got the whole war thing wrong Leo? :wink1:

:huh Bro, I think you're confused..when did I mention any "war"..Your forte is Marvel comics, mine is mythology..so you listen to me :thwak

I'll make it simple...Delphinus (Delphin) was king of all dolphins. Delphius was at the service of Poseidon and therefore, all dolphins were at the service of Poseidon :lecture Familiarize yourself with the story of Poseidon and Amphitrite in order to learn about the connection between The God of the sea and dolphins :lecture :santa

Here is the rough WIP and different views, there is still much work to be done

Poseidon ARH 12a.jpg

Poseidon & the water effect are extremely well done! But the dolphins need a major facelift..The ancient Greeks associated Poseidon with dolphin FISH not dolphin mammal as portrayed in this piece...On top of that the dolphin mammals look completely out of place when looking at the general theme of the piece...They're too meek and docile looking on top of being historically inaccurate..

Here is what Poseidon's dolphin fish looked like:
dolly_honey.jpg

5810291022_f65c215ff7_b.jpg

Last edited:

:huh Bro, I think you're confused..when did I mention any "war"..Your forte is Marvel comics, mine is mythology..so you listen to me :thwak

I'll make it simple...Delphinus (Delphin) was king of all dolphins. Delphius was at the service of Poseidon and therefore, all dolphins were at the service of Poseidon :lecture Familiarize yourself with the story of Poseidon and Amphitrite in order to learn about the connection between The God of the sea and dolphins :lecture :santa

I used your word "army" as context for war :thwak :nono:nana:

I used your word "army" as context for war :thwak :nono:nana:

I understand :1-1: Anyways, if Arahom and Alex P. correct the "dolphin blunder", this piece will turn into another ARH masterpiece :clap

I understand :1-1: Anyways, if Arahom and Alex P. correct the "dolphin blunder", this piece will turn into another ARH masterpiece :clap

Personally I don't care for the dolphin pic you showed as an example. It's butt ugly. I rather have him with some kind of sea serpent then any dolphin species out there. :peace

Happy B-day VS!

We are debating the sea animals.
ARH likes the dolphins. Thanks for your inputs

Happy B-day VS!

We are debating the sea animals.
ARH likes the dolphins. Thanks for your inputs

Thankhs buddy :)

I like the dolphins too but I think it would fit better with a female sculpted. Regardless Alex, the over presentation is really good.

Personally I don't care for the dolphin pic you showed as an example. It's butt ugly. I rather have him with some kind of sea serpent then any dolphin species out there. :peace

:slap OK the fish dolphin is ugly and your imaginary "sea serpent" is good looking? :slap Hard to argue with that.. :eek:
What I showed was the correct species of dolphins the ancient Greeks were referring to in the myth. ARH usually goes for hystorical accuracy since they cater to history & mythology enthusiasts..
You wouldn't like it if Sideshow & Bowen screwed up your comic book heroes would you? :monkey3

Last edited:

:slap OK the fish dolphin is ugly and your imaginary "sea serpent" is good looking? :slap Hard to argue with that.. :eek:
What I showed was the correct species of dolphins the ancient Greeks were referring to in the myth. ARH usually goes for hysterical accuracy since they cater to history & mythology enthusiasts..
You wouldn't like it if Sideshow & Bowen screwed up your comic book heroes would you? :monkey3

I don't think any type of "dolphins" would flatter the actual statue. I would love some kind of sea serpent used. It gives it attitude and will make it stand out much better.

What I showed was the correct species of dolphins the ancient Greeks were referring to in the myth. ARH usually goes for hysterical accuracy since they cater to history & mythology enthusiasts..

That's a great term for any Hot Toys thread on the forum! :rotfl Typo of the week.

Looks great Alex. :hi5:

I don't think any type of "dolphins" would flatter the actual statue. I would love some kind of sea serpent used. It gives it attitude and will make it stand out much better.

One thing we agree on is that these meek looking mammal dolphins have to go..They seem completely out of place standing next to such a powerful figure...

What do you think about Poseidon's' horse serpents? His temples were adorned with these creatures

Roman_Baths,_Bath_-_Sea_Horse_Mosaic.jpg

I also like your idea of ditching the sea creatures entirely in favor of a female companion..His beloved wife Amphitrite, Goddess of the seas would be a perfect fit!
Neptune_amphitrite_mosaic.jpg

Last edited:

We will have a pow wow tomorrow.
Im not sure what will happen, but I may be able to influence the end results.
Leo is right, ARH tends to be accurate to the Mythology and not the comic versions of the character.

You may have not seen this before, here again he is using his dolphins...
030713wasil.jpg

You may have not seen this before, here again he is using his dolphins...
030713wasil.jpg

That is an erroneous interpretation by people who, for some reason, couldn't differentiate between the dolphin mammal and the FISH that was sacred to the ancient Greeks which is also called a dolphin :dunno
2430364314_fdae29177d_z.jpg
ft4r29p0kg_00106.jpg

4-Poseidon-Bernini.jpg
S2.2Poseidon.jpg
lysip_poseidon.jpg

Last edited:
Back