Are you a collectibles perfectionist?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you accept flaws and imperfections on you collectibles?

• Yes, some flaws are inevitable. I just move on and get over them.

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • I accept flaws that aren't in a highly visible spot like the face.

Votes: 32 49.2%
  • No! These things are expensive, and flaws end up being all I can see.

Votes: 19 29.2%

• Total voters

Avenger

Super Freak
Reaction score
Do you accept some imperfections, or only keep the best for your money?

Seems like perfection is nearly impossible, and can drive a person nuts as they go through any number of replacements trying for that illusive trophy.

Last edited:
Are we talking imperfect sculpts, proportions, etc? Cuz if we are, I think that collectors these days have become WAY too nitpicky about figures. They've become spoiled and whiny. If that's not what you're referring to, disregard everything I just said :)

Sorry. I'm talking about defects, rather than design imperfections.

Scratches, paint errors, scuffs, dings, etc.

Sorry. I'm talking about defects, rather than design imperfections.

:exactly: I understand certain design liberties must be taken to shrink items down to 1:6 scale. That said, I have less patience with poor sculpts but even then I might be swayed to forgive.

Major quality defects ie. bodies breaking, paint apps, wardrobe blunders :mad:

:lol

When I say defect, I imagine a more than light scratch, maybe a scuff on the forehead or leg, something stuck in the paint or casting, an area of less than good paint app, the sort of thing that's debatable for different peoples levels of perfection. A break or messed up wadrobe seems like almost everyone would excange over isn't really the question. This is about minor to medium defects.

I'm really ocd about any minor imperfection. If there's something wrong with the figure, it'll bother me until I fix it or get a replacement part.

great thread.
this will actually be pertinent / applicable info for SSC... :monkey1

Im not too picky. But I also don't buy anything with "the flip" in mind.
If you're worried too much about "the perfect piece" or resale value then your attention to detail is on another level, and understandably.

Its not a pissing contest for me. And I actually understand that underpaid humans are manufacturing these. Flaws and craftsmanship issues are not only understood, they're expected..... :monkey1

I like your attitude Occulum. I wish I was as easy going about it, honestly. Truth be told, I've later re-bought figures to try and assemble a perfect one, and still end up with imperfections. Seems like every time I try to get one perfect, I simply end up with different defects. I'm kind of like Boba Ben in that regard, except I never seem to ever get the figure the way I want it. It's the reason I started the poll, to find out if I'm in a minority of people that are hard to please. The hope, to see I'm in the minority and realize I can relax some about it.

Soon after I joined this forum, perfectionism came up in a thread and a member told me some words of wisdom I've yet to forget, yet never fully accept apparently. "You'll never get the perfect collectible. If you try, you'll find this hobby will drive you nuts by the end."

So....I'm Avenger, and I'm a collectibles perfectionist. (Maybe I should start an AA for collectors...)

Last edited:
I like your attitude Occulum. I wish I was as easy going about it, honestly. Truth be told, I've later re-bought figures to assemble a perfect one, and still ended up with imperfections. Seems like every time I try to get one perfect, I simply end up with different defects.

Yeah. I've done the same with a few things as well. I really think it's a little bit of a mental illness that I have. I try to not let it get to me too much these days and try to look at it logically, but I still have my little episodes once in awhile.

When I used to buy toys in the retail store, I'd always compare each figure to get the one with the most perfect paint. I probably have one of the better painted DC Universe Classics figure sets because of this. I'm just really weird, I guess.

It may be a personality quirk for sure. My mother was like this too. She'd spend half an hour looking through a set of towels at Walmart, to get the ones with zero snags or stains etc. I didn't used to be a perfectionist. It wasn't till I started buying expensive stuff like appliances, which ended up needing worked on in the first year. TV's that have boards go bad under warranty. I just reached a point I was weary of any expensive purchase, while I still don't care much on the inexpensive stuff. Then, I got into collecting. It's a love hate hobby for me. I love these things when I get settled with them. Receiving a new piece though, is pretty stressful, since I expect to have problems and wrestle with how to get that perfect piece.

Got the new 1/4 scale Endo from Hot Toys recently. The one SSC sent me had a fairly obvious fish eye looking defect embedded in the chrome on the forehead. They had no replacement heads, so I took the partial refund so I could have one. I mulled over getting a regular version from BBTS to swap out the head, pulled the trigger, and the new one has a scuff in the chrome in almost the same spot, that shines differently in that spot when the light hits it. It kind of glows dull where the scuff is. I kind of feel like the scuff is preferable to the ring indention on the first one, but it's still not perfect you know? I could do this till I'm broke, and probably have a stack of Endo's with flaws on their heads.

I think it really is a personal problem. I just want to enjoy the figure to be honest, and not be fixated on the little problems. Either everyone has to deal with this to some degree and I'm just someone who has difficulty with it, or I'm the most unlucky collector out there gettingthe flawed ones. I bet it's the former.

Last edited:
Depends on what I've paid for the figure and what the flaw is. Generally I'm pretty picky and will request a replacement or refund if the figure isn't 100% and it's not a repair I can do myself without faffing it up.

Very OCD with the condition of my pieces. I can half-accept flaws but as soon as I come back to the piece months later, I remember what's wrong with it and it starts eating at me again.

It all depends on what we are talking about. If it is about a prop that had flaws in the first place even when screen used, then I have no problem with that. I also like my props as accurate as possible, and not just because company X said they are accurate, but when compared to the real prop.

If a statue that costs $$$ has some visible paint apps issues or some other flaws like cracks, lazy eyes etc. then I'm not too happy. I don't mind fixing some minor issues when I can, but not major issues and not on very expensive items, where flaws like these shouldn't be there in the first place. I also understand that many items cannot be perfect, but there is a limit where this is acceptable or not.

The thing is I don't mind that a $10 Hasbro figure might have some flaws, but not sure if I would so easily accept similar issues on a $$$ collectible

I try not to be too picky about this hobby, but some things really bother me and I try to send it back for a replacement or outright buy another one and flip the old. Although, it doesn't happen that often.

Some flaws are inevitable, if it isn't big then i can let it pass. for instance their is a slight gap in the hand/wrist of my Babydoll PF and Spider-Man com arm but i don't stare at it lamenting

I've had no problems with any of my figures to date, really.

The only exceptions have been having to re-glue the magnet in the hair piece & holster strap, & the right shoulder pocket flap of my BD HT Luke.

All easily fixed things though.. :)

Back