Are artist proof better

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timr

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Just bought a 1/4 scale nosfueratu from eBay never listed that it was artist proof as it turned out to be,has this made it better, worse or just the same, on the same line of questioning if it's a 500 issue run is that including the artist proof or would it be 500+ please excuse my ignorance.

I was kind of wondering about this also. At first I thought maybe they were rarer (Like when I bought my Hulk noir Manev print AP 7/10), but then it seemed like companies started releasing AP editions to squeeze more dollars out of the money spenders (AP are over and above the 500 from what I can make of it). In a way its good because if you want something and miss out, you get another chance (My Cowboy Bebop Joshua Budich print for example, almost missed it!). But on the other hand you might spend more because you think a collectible is rare and then you end up seeing 50 million other versions of it on a company's ebay auctions (pretty much any super ultra rare Aspen print)

Its not really better or worse if you love something and want to have it on your shelf. Although its interesting to know, I don't really think the value of one compared to the other matters in the scheme of things. Maybe some others can weigh in... enjoy your piece :rock

I can give you an example in the Star Wars prop world (this might not apply to other lines). A helmet, studios scale or a prop made by Master Replicas or EFX and coming with Artist Proof plaque is exactly the same with any other item in the line. Some would go nuts to buy an AP or a low edition number.

At one time artist proofs meant something, especially in book collecting. I have some of those and also uncorrected proof prints and artist review copies. Now it seems artist proofs are another gimmick (like multiple cover comics) to make more profit.
To me, as far as any newly produced items go, artist proofs are no better or no worse in desirability.
1/4 scale Nos is very cool! Congratulations!

Yes bought just for figure as it was not mentioned as being AP I assumed it would not be anymore valuable or the seller would of made no more of it being so

You should also remember many artist proof collectibles are not numbered, and thus they can make as many as they want. There are a few artists who sell AP prints and they have sold hundreds already, if you know what I mean...

I think APs were originally a little bonus for an Artist (in addition to the official, limited edition production run).. given to the Artist to keep, give to friends, or sell on.. and normally there would be a very limited number, maybe 10-15 APs (sometimes less) ..numbered in the same way as the production run (eg. 3/15 AP).. it was for this reason (ie. it suggested a link to the Artist) that some collectors used to pay more for an AP.. nowadays, not so much.

I am distinguishing here between contemporary (1970 - ) commercial Artist's Proof releases, and 'working proofs' ..not to mention historical definitions of an Artist's Proof.. all of which are slightly different.

Back